ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa QB Brendan Sullivan has quickly left an impression on his teammates

Franisdaman

HB King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Good story from the Gazette. Interesting that the Northwestern coaches encouraged him to explore other schools via the transfer portal.

Some excerpts:

“I’ll show up like an hour-and-a-half before the lift, and I’ll see him here all dressed up, ready to go,” offensive lineman Gennings Dunker said of the transfer quarterback.

Sullivan said being the first one in and last one out was “something I was raised on.”

“I’m just trying to compete, trying to do the best I can to fight my way to the top,” Sullivan said. “I’m somebody that’s willing to accept my role, whatever that is. And I feel like that’s something I’ve shown throughout my career.”

A “big goal” for Sullivan is “to play in the NFL.”

He has 2 years of eligibility remaining. Sullivan saw action in 8 games in 2023 and started in 4.

Ex-Northwestern wide receiver Jacob Gill — Sullivan’s roommate in Evanston— said Sullivan was “pretty influential” in his decision to join the QB in Iowa City this spring.

Sullivan seemed to be the most likely candidate to be Northwestern’s starting quarterback for the 2024 season — something that made his decision to enter the portal after spring practices somewhat surprising.

“Definitely prayed about it, definitely talked to my family and sat down with the coaches at Northwestern,” Sullivan said of the decision to enter the portal. “Mutually, me, my parents and the coach at Northwestern thought that my best options were to explore other schools.”

Asked if there was anything that changed considering his seemingly favorable situation in Evanston, Sullivan said “nothing that I’ll speak on.”

“I’m just excited to be a Hawkeye, excited for new opportunities here,” Sullivan said.

New OC Tim Lester tried recruiting Sullivan when he was the head coach at Western Michigan — enough so for Sullivan to know he is a “great human being” and a “great coach” — but Lester’s recruitment of him did not go far.

The Hawkeyes “weren’t necessarily the first to reach out” when he entered the portal either.

“I think I’m a Big Ten football player,” Sullivan said. “Whatever’s best for me — and I think that was playing Big Ten ball. And then Coach Ferentz is a great guy and has a great program. So it was the best fit for me.”

His most recent game ironically was against Iowa when he went 12-of-19 for 81 yards and one touchdown. Iowa won that game, 10-7. It could have gone the other way if one of Sullivan’s quarterback sneaks from inside the 1-yard line was successful.

“Everybody in the country can tell you Iowa is a tough, gritty team,” Sullivan said. “They’re not fun to play against defensively, and I’m kind of excited to play against them every day and get better and grow.”

The full story:

Good story from the Gazette. Interesting that the Northwestern coaches encouraged him to explore other schools via the transfer portal.

Some excerpts:

“I’ll show up like an hour-and-a-half before the lift, and I’ll see him here all dressed up, ready to go,” offensive lineman Gennings Dunker said of the transfer quarterback.

Sullivan said being the first one in and last one out was “something I was raised on.”

“I’m just trying to compete, trying to do the best I can to fight my way to the top,” Sullivan said. “I’m somebody that’s willing to accept my role, whatever that is. And I feel like that’s something I’ve shown throughout my career.”

A “big goal” for Sullivan is “to play in the NFL.”

He has 2 years of eligibility remaining. Sullivan saw action in 8 games in 2023 and started in 4.

Ex-Northwestern wide receiver Jacob Gill — Sullivan’s roommate in Evanston— said Sullivan was “pretty influential” in his decision to join the QB in Iowa City this spring.

Sullivan seemed to be the most likely candidate to be Northwestern’s starting quarterback for the 2024 season — something that made his decision to enter the portal after spring practices somewhat surprising.

“Definitely prayed about it, definitely talked to my family and sat down with the coaches at Northwestern,” Sullivan said of the decision to enter the portal. “Mutually, me, my parents and the coach at Northwestern thought that my best options were to explore other schools.”

Asked if there was anything that changed considering his seemingly favorable situation in Evanston, Sullivan said “nothing that I’ll speak on.”

“I’m just excited to be a Hawkeye, excited for new opportunities here,” Sullivan said.

New OC Tim Lester tried recruiting Sullivan when he was the head coach at Western Michigan — enough so for Sullivan to know he is a “great human being” and a “great coach” — but Lester’s recruitment of him did not go far.

The Hawkeyes “weren’t necessarily the first to reach out” when he entered the portal either.

“I think I’m a Big Ten football player,” Sullivan said. “Whatever’s best for me — and I think that was playing Big Ten ball. And then Coach Ferentz is a great guy and has a great program. So it was the best fit for me.”

His most recent game ironically was against Iowa when he went 12-of-19 for 81 yards and one touchdown. Iowa won that game, 10-7. It could have gone the other way if one of Sullivan’s quarterback sneaks from inside the 1-yard line was successful.

“Everybody in the country can tell you Iowa is a tough, gritty team,” Sullivan said. “They’re not fun to play against defensively, and I’m kind of excited to play against them every day and get better and grow.”

The full story:

I think I speak for all or most in being grateful that Sullivan (presumably) will be #2 given what could have been the alternative.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT