ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Raptors FC join USL League 2 (Division 4) Broadcast deal w/ KCRG 9.2

Menace Sockeyes

HR Legend
Sep 2, 2010
Playing at Coe College’s Clark Field this summer after a pre-season game next weekend at MYFA Complex. The competition will be the “Heartland SuperCup” involving other Midwest minor league teams whose seasons have been cancelled. It will be the best college players with Iowa ties along with established indoor pros. Looks very likely to be a full top-flight pro indoor team back in Cedar Rapids with many players, staff, and sponsors back from the old Cedar Rapids Rampage-turned-Orlando SeaWolves, and the old minority owners here now majority owners. They’ll be on KCRG TV as well, as this story notes:

Since the only other non racing sports on TV right now are 2 of the 4 best soccer leagues in the world, these guys will probably have a harsher contrast in quality than they're used to.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Since the only other non racing sports on TV right now are 2 of the 4 best soccer leagues in the world, these guys will probably have a harsher contrast in quality than they're used to.

Besides Gordy Gurson from the US National Futsal team, I’m more excited for “Am” part of this Pro-Am team. Alan Kim, former Iowa HS “Mr. Soccer” from Kennedy (now at Marquette University), is the real deal. Lightning fast. Very reminiscent of a young DeAndre Yedlin.

Let’s GO! “Major announcement”. Hopefully MASL coming back to Cedar Rapids. *fingers crossed* I see it will be live on 9.2 as well...

Nothing screams big deal like the Ramada Inn

It's nice the local talent has a place to play but this isn't a real team. It's a pub team in essence that has nicer uniforms.

Nothing screams big deal like the Ramada Inn

It's nice the local talent has a place to play but this isn't a real team. It's a pub team in essence that has nicer uniforms.

It’s publicity because the owners of the Ramada Inn are co-owners of the team. And if it is USL-2, as it appears to be, you are dead wrong. It will be the best college players, and many future MLS pros coming through CR.

Reactions: Jackie Treehorn
This is really cool. I’ll shift my allegiance to the Raptors over the Menace.
Only thing I don’t like is the name (and logo). The name Raptors, (with a dinosaur logo) feels really random for Iowa.
I mean they could have gone bird Raptors. A nice ‘bird of prey’ compliment to the Hawks.
It was right there...but they went dinosaur.

This is really cool. I’ll shift my allegiance to the Raptors over the Menace.
Only thing I don’t like is the name (and logo). The name Raptors, (with a dinosaur logo) feels really random for Iowa.
I mean they could have gone bird Raptors. A nice ‘bird of prey’ compliment to the Hawks.
It was right there...but they went dinosaur.

Well, Hawks evolved from dinosaurs, and football evolved from soccer so...

Well, Hawks evolved from dinosaurs, and football evolved from soccer so...

They should have gone with the bird raptors. Jersey with a cool stylized bird design (i.e. Minnesota United).
Colors, black, white and gold...a nod to the Hawks, the University and the students that will hopefully attend and support the team.
Would have sold a lot more jerseys and shirts.

They should have gone with the bird raptors. Jersey with a cool stylized bird design (i.e. Minnesota United).
Colors, black, white and gold...a nod to the Hawks, the University and the students that will hopefully attend and support the team.
Would have sold a lot more jerseys and shirts.

I forgot that the Rampage had a Raptor as a mascot for the kiddos at the games. Maybe that’s the inspiration.

Will they stream also? On their website, Facebook page or YouTube?
I don’t get 9.2.

Why is it so hard for teams to come up with good names, logos, and color schemes? If the back of the scarf doesn't say Life Finds A Way I'll never buy one. Then every shirt on the back needs to say You did it you crazy son of a bitch you did it.

Why is it so hard for teams to come up with good names, logos, and color schemes? If the back of the scarf doesn't say Life Finds A Way I'll never buy one. Then every shirt on the back needs to say You did it you crazy son of a bitch you did it.

That’s gold, Jerry! Gold!

Reactions: HallofFame
Caught the second half of the second game today.
Reserves won 7-0 in first game. Raptors first team won 2-0 in second game.
Quality was alright. Pace wasn’t quite there, but it was pretty hot out there today.

Quality was alright. Pace wasn’t quite there, but it was pretty hot out there today.

Yeah, looking forward to the final round of games next weekend, but Gordy Gurson, Rainer Hauss, Bobby Hurwitz, and Pat Kelly have been legitimate stars of indoor/futsal for a while now. Gurson in particular. He’ll be filling in Landon Donovan’s shoes in San Diego next season. And on the outdoor side, they have a dynamic playmaker in Alan Kim, and a dead ball maestro in Pacheco from Iowa City/Western Illinois Univ.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Yeah, looking forward to the final round of games next weekend, but Gordy Gurson, Rainer Hauss, Bobby Hurwitz, and Pat Kelly have been legitimate stars of indoor/futsal for a while now. Gurson in particular. He’ll be filling in Landon Donovan’s shoes in San Diego next season. And on the outdoor side, they have a dynamic playmaker in Alan Kim, and a dead ball maestro in Pacheco from Iowa City/Western Illinois Univ.

Lol, I just played Pacheco in a 7s league last fall. I got stuck playing as a back in that game and defend as a forward/ attacking mid would. He put a move on me that got me all sorts of turned around but he didn't score! Good player.

Lol, I just played Pacheco in a 7s league last fall. I got stuck playing as a back in that game and defend as a forward/ attacking mid would. He put a move on me that got me all sorts of turned around but he didn't score! Good player.

Back-up keeper (and former Rampage 3rd string) Luis Perez was in the Over-25 men’s league with me. In fact, his team and my team were co-champions because Covid hit before we got to play each other. He’s excellent.

Did you guys see this? Safe to say the players are having fun with the name, @HallofFame...

Reactions: HallofFame
Back-up keeper (and former Rampage 3rd string) Luis Perez was in the Over-25 men’s league with me. In fact, his team and my team were co-champions because Covid hit before we got to play each other. He’s excellent.

Did you guys see this? Safe to say the players are having fun with the name, @HallofFame...

Good deal. Anything to make it more fun and generate community and player interest.

Regional final of the Heartland Supercup today on 9.2, at 4 PM. Raptors Reserves going for third now. Will go on to the final four of their first ever competition if they beat Springfield FC of the UPSL today (online link below as well):

EbuT5XWWsAIUFbv

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT