ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa recruit state results

so cal hawkfan

HB All-American
Jun 5, 2012
Whittier CA
Most of this has probably been posted in one way or another but I thought I'd list everybody with current letters of intent (No Justin Mejia out of Cali or Alex Marinelli from Ohio yet, their state tourneys are in March)
Illinois
Joey Gunther 160 Libertyville-2nd Lost a close match to Rundell from OPRF in the finals
Vincent Turk 145 Montini Catholic- 1st Dominant Tournament
Jason Renteria 113 OPRF- 2nd Lost close match Austin Gomez of Glenbard North (Ramos' old school)

Iowa
Paul Glynn Bettendorf 132- 2nd Lost to Mike Zachary from DOCA
Keegan Shaw Southeast Polk 138-4th Lost to Dan Kelly from Cedar Falls in Semis and then lost to Clingenpeel for 3rd. He beat Clingenpeel in the 2nd round and lost the rematch.
Aaron Meyer Southeast Polk 145-2nd Got pinned by Freddy Stroker in the finals.
Jacob Woodard Bettendorf 152- 4th Got beat in 2nd round by Josh Davis 8-7. He wrested back for 3rd and had to injury default the rematch with Davis.
Cole Erickson Mediapolis-160 3rd Got pinned in the first round by Andrew Turner from WACA. Turner DNP.
Jaren Glosser Eddyville-138 3rd Lost to Trey Brisker in semis. Brisker lost to Happel in the finals.
Cash Wilke OA-BCIG-195 1st 2 pins, a tech fall and a dec. Dominant Tournament Finshed the year 47-0. Probably needs to do the freestyle thing over the summer to get some competition with quality guys.

All in all not a bad hall.

This post was edited on 2/24 4:07 AM by so cal hawkfan

Pretty sure the PA guys have not had the state tourney yet and the results you posted are from last year.

Well that was embarrassing! I thought it strange that Young, Kemmerer and Joseph were all cutting down to 138. Edited my post. Thanks MVP.

Erickson was up 13 points when he was pinned too. I think we can write that loss off as a fluke.

Wilke finished 6th last year in freestyle, so he's already a Fargo AA

Can't remember all of the names, but I saw a tweet where several UNI recruits had nice tournaments:

Thomsen and Holschlag from Union were two of them.

Originally posted by Spicolli:

Wilke finished 6th last year in freestyle, so he's already a Fargo AA
He finished 4th as a cadet the year before, so he does have some solid national credentials. He's a little raw but the potential is certainly there

Originally posted by wamachie:

Can't remember all of the names, but I saw a tweet where several UNI recruits had nice tournaments:

Thomsen and Holschlag from Union were two of them.
You could say that...for sure, Schwab really did a great job of recruiting Iowa. After listening to a couple interviews on iawrestle (plug) these kids are pumped and proud to be Iowans and Panthers...

UNI[/B]
IA - 2/19 : 2/21[/B]
#3 Max Thomsen 1ST [/B] 145 2A Union
#5 Bryce Steiert 1ST [/B] 160 3A WSR
#1* Jacob Schwarn 1ST [/B]120 3A Bett
#11 Jacob Holschlag 1ST [/B]170 2A Union
#14 Isaiah Patton 1ST [/B] 170 3A Dowling Catholic

IAWRESTLE

Originally posted by HoundedHawk:
Are we supposed to be encouraged by these results? I am not.
I would be willing to bet the instate kids we have coming in aren't eating up a whole lot of money.

Getting worked up over guys who are effectively walk ons really isn't worth fretting over.

Originally posted by SPOONER:

Getting worked up over guys who are effectively walk ons really isn't worth fretting over.
Is that the case? Not a whole lot of scholly money going into this class?

Well... sure, as far as money goes, I guess I understand that, but when you look at their achievements when compared to UNI's "in-state walk-ons", the results are a bit one sided! I'm just making sure we shouldn't be overly concerned based on what we have coming in from other classes and other states...

Those aren't' "instate walkons" for UNI. That is essentially their class...

Keep in mind we have Kemmerer (#1 145, 2015), Wilcke (#62 195, 2015), Marinelli (#1 160, 2016), Mejia (#2 113, 2017), Renteria (#3 113, 2017) all coming in. Additionally we stand a fairly decent shot with Suriano, Lee, and evidently now Hall.
This post was edited on 2/26 6:33 PM by TailgateTom

Originally posted by TailgateTom:

Keep in mind we have Kemmerer (#1 145, 2015), Wilcke (#62 195, 2015), Marinelli (#1 160, 2016), Mejia (#2 113, 2017), Renteria (#3 113, 2017) all coming in. Additionally we stand a fairly decent shot with Suriano, Lee, and evidently now Hall.
And you can add Kaleb Young (160, 2016) to that list.

Originally posted by hawkiniowacity:
Well... sure, as far as money goes, I guess I understand that, but when you look at their achievements when compared to UNI's "in-state walk-ons", the results are a bit one sided! I'm just making sure we shouldn't be overly concerned based on what we have coming in from other classes and other states...
Lol why would someone think those guys are essentially walking on at UNI? Especially Thomsen.

Originally posted by WWDMHawkeye:

And you can add Kaleb Young (160, 2016) to that list.

Also we have:

Danny Murphy from Colorado got 1st @ 145

Illinois:
#9 Vince Turk 1st @ 145
#2 Joey Gunther 2nd @ 160

My information was stolen from the IAWrestle site when they weren't looking while they were trying to fix their spellcheck.........
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by SPOONER:

Lol why would someone think those guys are essentially walking on at UNI? Especially Thomsen.
Sorry... didn't mean to imply that. Just figured they weren't going to be full scholly guys (or even much more than 50%) in order to hold some money for out of state guys, but I would be the first to admit that I have no idea how UNI runs their program.

The point and question that you overlooked in my statement was the one that is in bold above. Sorry for misleading you on the point of my statement

Thanks Tom... that was mostly what I was wondering about. Looks like overall the out of state classes are pretty sharp going forward... I admit that I don't follow wrestling recruiting very intently so any education I can get is greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

Thanks Tom... that was mostly what I was wondering about. Looks like overall the out of state classes are pretty sharp going forward... I admit that I don't follow wrestling recruiting very intently so any education I can get is greatly appreciated. Thanks again!
You never know how these things are going to turn out, but as far as in-state for Iowa, Wilcke was I believe the 1st to commit out of this group, and the one guy we targeted early on. He is definitely more of a "need" weight than anyone else coming in right now, IMO. You have to assume Carter Happel is also on the radar next year, looking to be the 25th 4 Timer in Iowa. Hopefully there is enough money and room to sign him, he's a pretty accomplished kid all around.

All of the guys coming in provide depth and workout partners, all of which is invaluable. The fact is all of them won't get to wrestle in Carver on the big stage. It's been that way and will remain that way, but happy to have all of them on board.

I think you should be overly concerned about our class. Maybe you can worry enough about it that others can stop and relax.

Originally posted by sloehawk:

You never know how these things are going to turn out, but as far as in-state for Iowa, Wilcke was I believe the 1st to commit out of this group, and the one guy we targeted early on. He is definitely more of a "need" weight than anyone else coming in right now, IMO. You have to assume Carter Happel is also on the radar next year, looking to be the 25th 4 Timer in Iowa. Hopefully there is enough money and room to sign him, he's a pretty accomplished kid all around.

All of the guys coming in provide depth and workout partners, all of which is invaluable. The fact is all of them won't get to wrestle in Carver on the big stage. It's been that way and will remain that way, but happy to have all of them on board.
Thank you Sloe... very good insight and much appreciated. I am a season ticket holder and have been for many years, but have focused really on the guys once they get into the room... and once they do get in that room, it seems that there are a TON of examples of kids who far exceed expectations. I guess that's as good a reason as any to not worry about State Results, huh?! :) It just seemed like I was seeing a lot more recruiting info this winter than I had in past years, so I was curious about it. In any event, it is good to know that the future seems secure and I'll go back to focusing on the team we have now. Looking forward to St. Louis!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT