ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa River Power staff bring back the brunch and steaks at the Highlander Hotel in March

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The forThe former staff of a cherished local restaurant has found a new home.
Displaced employees from the Iowa River Power Restaurant, which closed late last year, are partnering with the Highlander Hotel to help operate the Supper Club, with plans to offer IRP's famous Sunday brunch and many of its other classic eats.
Highlander owner Angela Harrington connected with former IRP owner Danise Petsel after her two-decade run ended in 2023 to channel her expertise to recreate a historic supper club.
Harrington took over at the Highlander Hotel in 2019 as it struggled to gain a foothold in Johnson County. She quickly piloted a $10 million renovation and a return to prominence, anchored by a retro hotel vibe with luxurious amenities.

But, something was missing even as the hotel hosted a grand re-opening in late 2023. It needed that extra touch, that special feeling only a well-thought-out meal can provide.
Inspired by her knowledge and sustained success in the restaurant industry as well as her familiarity with the Johnson County clientele, Harrington reached out to Petsel, hoping to revive the legendary flavors of Iowa River Power.

The two hit it off almost immediately.

Petsel jokes that their partnership works because Harrington loves doing what Petsel hates and vice versa. Harrington said the pair might "need a reality TV show because we're both quite colorful and very outspoken."

But for Petsel, who opened the Iowa River Power Restaurant in 2002, the most important part of the transition has been keeping the staff together and making memories with community members.

The Highlander will also provide dinner service Thursday through Sunday, offering many of the same items that guests at Iowa River Power enjoyed — including staples like steak and seafood. Petsel is bringing the head chef and all of her IRP cooks to the Highlander. Many of the wait staff will also join her.

The hotel will provide food service throughout the week, but adding Petsel and her team means Harrington has more flexibility and can accommodate more events.

“I'm just tickled and frankly, I'm grateful because I really am trying to get good at the hotel operation and I'm just so grateful to have somebody who does (food service) so much better than me and with all of that experience,” Harrington said. “Take that piece, I'm just over the moon.”

Dinner guests do not need to stay at the Highlander to dine at the Supper Club.

Brunch service begins on Sunday, March 24, and will also be offered on Easter Sunday. Complimentary breakfast will continue for hotel guests Monday to Friday.

Regular dinner service begins Thursday, April 4.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT