ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Softball 2021-2022 Season

Reactions: UptownHawk
I am thinking, with the COVID extra year, they ran out of money? So when it came time to sign, the money was gone?

No inside info, just a guess?

Media Day is tomorrow! Not sure how much coverage there is, but hope to see some coverage come out tomorrow.

Reactions: LinusPF
Media Day is tomorrow! Not sure how much coverage there is, but hope to see some coverage come out tomorrow.
Disappointed in the lack of coverage at hawkeyesports.com. Season is only a week away! Most teams have a lot more news...player profiles / position outlooks etc.

Reactions: MossHawk6
There is a short video clip from their January trip to Florida on their Twitter feed, but not much info. My brief impression from last fall in Cedar Falls is that the new pitchers look good, though can't yet say they're as good as who we lost. Defense looks good, but hitting still looks light.

Only 22 listed on the roster right now, would that be the smallest since coach G arrived?

I follow a lot of college softball sites and twitter accounts. There have been quite a few coaches on podcasts talking about the upcoming season, but I have not seen one with our coaches. I was hoping they would be to talk about the next season. I am curious to know how the new pitchers are progressing and if anyone is having a breakout spring in practice. Hopefully there will be some stories after today's media event.

There is a short video clip from their January trip to Florida on their Twitter feed, but not much info. My brief impression from last fall in Cedar Falls is that the new pitchers look good, though can't yet say they're as good as who we lost. Defense looks good, but hitting still looks light.

Only 22 listed on the roster right now, would that be the smallest since coach G arrived?
The team is going to be pretty young... 9 Freshmen, and 7 Sophomores. Have the 3 outfielders returning in Carter, Sheehy, and Klosterman. Lots of experience out there. Then Peak behind the dish, played a lot last year. Loecker had a nice season last year and will play 1st when not pitching. I thought she looked pretty good this Fall on the mound, but it appeared to me the coaches have her at #3 in rotation. Transfer from UCF, Vasquez will probably be #1, with Freshmen Serna, being #2. Those 3 saw almost all of the innings in the Fall. Lots could have changed this winter, but I think those 3 will get most of the innings.

My observations.... Very similar to Row55. Defense should be solid. Pitching will be young, but serviceable. Probably not as good as last year, but will keep us in most games. But then it will come down to scoring runs. I don't think our staff, at this point, can keep all teams to 2-3 runs, like last year. So, we will need to score 5-6 some games. Can we?? Going to need some of these younger kids to have a solid year. If we get a couple kids to step up like Klosterman did, the 2nd half of the season, that will help a lot.

I just excited for the season to get going...

Go Hawks!

A fairly tough start to the season playing two ranked opponents and another NCAA qualifier, but it is nice to have non conference games back. We're planning on purchasing the Flo Sports package so we can watch the Leesburg games and are going to be in San Diego for the week two games (great excuse to have a San Diego vacation). Can't wait for the season to start.

Go Hawks!

I didn't see much coverage on the team from media day but above is a link to a Daily Iowan article about pitching. I am surprised Serna is not one of the top three pitchers.

Ya, that is surprising... Things must have changed from the Fall... Sometimes a staff might make a tweak or two in a young players motion, and it take a little to get used to it?

I have not seen much from Media Day either... Just a bunch of pictures of the girls...

And the season's underway! Hawks leading EKU 7-2 bottom 6th. A new uniform wrinkle, gold stirrups over black sanitaries, with black pants and white jerseys.

Another stellar day from the softball sports information dept. No Gametracker and only sporadic tweets. And the FloSports subscription you bought has a camera on every field at the complex, except the field where Iowa is playing.

Another stellar day from the softball sports information dept. No Gametracker and only sporadic tweets. And the FloSports subscription you bought has a camera on every field at the complex, except the field where Iowa is playing.
I was able to watch on FLO,Field #3

Great start to the season! Only had a little hiccup in the 1st of the EKU game. Blop hit and skirted away and then an over throw. Past ball and down 1 nothing with no outs in first inning of the season. EKU then scored again in the 2nd. But the Hawks settled down and chipped away. Hitting up and down the line up! With Klosterman and Doster leading the way. Klosterman also had a double taken away by a diving catch down the right field line. He stroked that ball well all day. Doster (TK) also hit well all day. With first, of many, HRs in top of 1st (Granny) against #24 Liberty. Loecker gets her first career win with a gem against Liberty. Had great pitching, real good hitting, and clean defense.

If they can continue to do that, going to be a nice season.

Play #19 Kentucky tomorrow morning. Interested to see who they throw in that one...

Go Hawks!

Great start to the season! Only had a little hiccup in the 1st of the EKU game. Blop hit and skirted away and then an over throw. Past ball and down 1 nothing with no outs in first inning of the season. EKU then scored again in the 2nd. But the Hawks settled down and chipped away. Hitting up and down the line up! With Klosterman and Doster leading the way. Klosterman also had a double taken away by a diving catch down the right field line. He stroked that ball well all day. Doster (TK) also hit well all day. With first, of many, HRs in top of 1st (Granny) against #24 Liberty. Loecker gets her first career win with a gem against Liberty. Had great pitching, real good hitting, and clean defense.

If they can continue to do that, going to be a nice season.

Play #19 Kentucky tomorrow morning. Interested to see who they throw in that one...

Go Hawks!
Really ugly today, but at least they’re fighting.

Today was a lot of missed opportunities. Bases loaded no outs, then didnt score. Bases loaded a least one other time, if not more.... Just didnt come up with a hit when needed to put the pressure on early. Kentucky is a pretty good team, and needed to take advantage of those opportunities when we had them... TK (Doster) continues to hit the ball well. Banes, I think, came up with a big 2 out hit. Greer with first start of career. She will be better next time out, she got the first game out of the way.... Klosterman had another hit.

Thought they competed, just didnt get hits when needed. Score wasnt indicative of the game in my opinion... Lots of work to do though.

On to Pitt tomorrow...

Last edited:
Today was a lot of missed opportunities. Bases loaded no outs, then didnt score. Bases loaded a least one other time, if not more.... Just didnt come up with a hit when needed to put the pressure on early. Kentucky is a pretty good team, and needed to take advantage of those opportunities when we had them... TK (Doster) continues to hit the ball well. Banes, I think, came up with a big 2 out hit. Greer with first start of career. She will be better next time out, she got the first game out of the way.... Klosterman had another hit.

Thought they competed, just didnt get hits when needed. Score wasnt indicative of the game in my opinion... Lots of work to do though.

On to Pitt tomorrow...
Coach said they weren’t as aggressive as they needed to be. I agree. lots of watching strikes go by,especially on first pitches. Sometimes that’s the best pitch you get.

On to Pitt tomorrow...
We had bases loaded in the 2nd and 3rd but didn’t score.

I was impressed at how the team battled. A key hit here or there and we would have put up a nice day on offense.

Pitt is 2-1. Would be nice to take 3 games this weekend.

go hawks!

Iowa softball hasn’t had this much offense in many years. Strong up and down the lineup. The defense is pretty strong. Now just need to get the pitching rotation figured out. Only one pitcher with much experience.

Coach said they weren’t as aggressive as they needed to be. I agree. lots of watching strikes go by,especially on first pitches. Sometimes that’s the best pitch you get.
Agree, little passive today. Also thought Kentucky did a nice job breaking any kind of momentum that we had. The used their mound trips, and changed pitchers 3/4 times. Good or bad, seemed to work...

Last edited:
Play well all weekend. Yesterday didn't get the hits we needed to take advantage of multiple opportunities, and then in snowballed on us.

Today, jumped out to a 4 run lead. They come back and tie it up with a 4 run inning. Could have maybe been worse. Then next inning, I think, they, Pitt, get a lead off triple, but they didn't score. They didn't take advantage of the opportunity, and that changed the momentum, and we start hitting again and had 2nd and 3rd no outs I think. Nothing spectacular, but a ground ball out to score a run. Maybe another ground ball out for a run. Might be wrong on that, but did their job to get the runs in! Changes everything when you execute those opportunities! Next think you know we score several more and ball game.

Doster continues to hit the ball well, Peek with a shot into a stiff wind for a HR. Klosterman had some good ABs. I think Banes had a good AB for rbi.

Bree pitched well, then Denali came in and shut the door.

All around a great start to the season against some very good competition!

On to San Diego!!

Last edited:
Great weekend for the Hawks. Peek’s Homer was as hard as I’ve seen someone hit a ball in a long time.

San Diego will be a tough test. Looking forward to seeing live softball- first time since Covid.

Go Hawks

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT