ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa still interviewing baseball candidates

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Iowa has interviewed two candidates and will interview two more next week, reports Perfect Game's Kendall Rogers.
Rogers (@KendallRogersPG), one of the nation's prominent college baseball reporters, wrote on Twitter the school interviewed Creighton Coach Ed Servais and Indiana State Coach Rick Heller on Tuesday and will interview St. Louis Coach Darin Hendrickson and Texas A&M associate head coach Andy Sawyers next Tuesday.
Steve Roe, a member of Iowa's baseball selection committee, confirmed Tuesday to The Gazette that interviews are underway and more are scheduled. Roe, the school's sports information director, declined to comment about specifics.
"We're still interviewing candidates," Roe said Friday morning.
Iowa associate athletics director Fred Mims, who is leading the committee, also declined to offer details. Tuesday he said, "All I can say is we have a great pool of candidates."
A blogger for College Baseball Daily wrote Hendrickson will be named head coach. According to an update on the blog, both Hendrickson and St. Louis officials are denying the report.
Here's more information on the candidates:
Darin Hendrickson
Andy Sawyers
Ed Servais
Rick Heller

Link

Originally posted by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life:
WOW, that is an excellent group of guys. Sawyers would be a great hire...
Yes, I would be fine with any of them. Where is that poster claiming inside info saying that we would be disappointed no matter who was hired.

Bet it's not Heller if Mims is in charge of this search again.....he was there when they talked to Heller the first go around and didn't have the decency to call him back before they hired Dahm. There was bad taste all around when Heller interviewed the first time, surprised Mims is still around.

Originally posted by dachsund
Bet it's not Heller if Mims is in charge of this search again.....he was there when they talked to Heller the first go around and didn't have the decency to call him back before they hired Dahm. There was bad taste all around when Heller interviewed the first time, surprised Mims is still around.

If that's the case, why would Heller agree to interview again? Must not been that bad of a taste.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

@KendallRogersPG: Intrigued to see how Iowa coach search plays out…never good when "unorganized" & "awful" are used
This post was edited on 6/29 5:15 PM by rbh74

Trust me - was a terrible taste and probably why he just didn't jump right away for an interview. I think Iowa pursued him harder this time and he listened. I'm actually surprised Mims is still around and in charge of this.

Originally posted by dachsund:
You typically don't call any of the candidates to tell them they have not gotten the job until you have made and offer and received an acceptance from the candidate that does get the job.

Pretty sure Heller has been through enough interviews to not get offended by that.

Originally posted by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life:
Looks like Jeff Duncan to Kent State, I know he was thrown out there as a candidate.
Looks like? He was hired June 26th.

APSU coach Gary McClure has officially withdrawn his name from consideration for the Iowa baseball job. TheLeafChronicle.com

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT