ADVERTISEMENT

Beth Goetz officially named Athletic Director

ichawk24

HR Legend
Nov 21, 2005

Thursday, January 18, 2024
Written by Office of Strategic Communication
Beth Goetz has been named the University of Iowa’s next Henry B. and Patricia B. Tippie Director of Athletics Chair after serving in the role as interim since Aug. 2.

She will begin immediately.

Beth Goetz
Beth Goetz
“Beth is a talented and dynamic leader, and the national search we conducted has substantiated that she is the best athletics director for the University of Iowa,” says UI President Barbara Wilson. “She has done a remarkable job as interim, and I am confident she will lead our athletics department and student-athletes to new levels of achievement both on the field of play and in the classroom.”

The university launched a national search at the end of November 2023. The search committee was chaired by Nicole Grosland, associate dean for academic programs in the College of Engineering and professor of biomedical engineering.

“The search produced an impressive group of candidates,” says Grosland. “The committee had an opportunity to interview multiple sitting athletic directors from across the country. Beth emerged as a finalist with a strong vision to lead the department at this crucial time.”

Goetz, who becomes UI’s 13th athletics director, joined the Iowa athletics staff in September 2022 as deputy director of athletics and chief operating officer. When former director Gary Barta retired Aug. 1 after 17 years at the university, Goetz was named interim director.

Before coming to Iowa, Goetz served as director of athletics at Ball State University for four years. At Ball State, she supervised 19 Division I sports teams, all head coaches, and senior staff. Before that, she served as the chief operating officer/senior woman administrator in the University of Connecticut athletics department from 2016—18. She previously served as the University of Minnesota’s deputy athletics director from 2013—15 and interim athletics director during the 2015—16 season.

Goetz was named to the NCAA Competition Oversight Committee in 2018 and served as vice chair of the NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Committee in 2021—22. She was named by Women Leaders in College Sports as the 2022 NCAA Division I FBS Nike Executive of the Year and recognized by the Indianapolis Business Journal as one of the publication’s 2021 Women of Influence.

A former soccer student-athlete and college coach, she received a Bachelor of Arts from Clemson University in 1996 and a master’s degree from the University of Missouri-St. Louis in 2000.

“I am truly honored and humbled to lead Iowa’s storied athletics program, and I am grateful to President Wilson and the search committee for their confidence in my leadership,” Goetz says. “The University of Iowa is a world-class institution with a demonstrated commitment to athletics excellence, and I look forward to continuing to partner with our coaches and staff in support of all our student-athletes. It is a privilege to serve our campus and our passionate Hawkeye supporters.”

Goetz’s appointment must be approved by the Iowa Board of Regents.

Point(s) of contact Office of Strategic Communication

Do we expect to get something from Kirk LOL.

Not a chance in h….😎

“I am pleased that Beth has been officially hired as our university’s newest director of athletics. Since arriving at the University of Iowa, Beth has shown a tremendous dedication to the university and a passion for our student-athletes. She has a vision that is respectful of the traditions of our athletics programs while embracing opportunities in the rapidly changing college sports landscape. Beth is highly professional, and I believe is well-equipped to navigate this new era of collegiate sports.”

Kirk Ferentz – Football

Reactions: VodkaSam and Ronman
“I am pleased that Beth has been officially hired as our university’s newest director of athletics. Since arriving at the University of Iowa, Beth has shown a tremendous dedication to the university and a passion for our student-athletes. She has a vision that is respectful of the traditions of our athletics programs while embracing opportunities in the rapidly changing college sports landscape. Beth is highly professional, and I believe is well-equipped to navigate this new era of collegiate sports.”

Kirk Ferentz – Football
So you really think he penned that? ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT