ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Supreme Court to rule Friday on 6-week abortion ban, could set standard for new laws

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The Iowa Supreme Court will release a highly anticipated ruling Friday that could have massive implications for the ability of women to obtain abortions in Iowa.

At issue is a 2023 law banning most abortions after fetal cardiac activity can be detected, about six weeks into a pregnancy. A lower court blocked the law from going into effect, and Gov. Kim Reynolds has appealed that ruling.

Reynolds and Attorney General Brenna Bird have asked the court to reverse a 2015 decision and hold the state must prove only that it has a "rational basis" for abortion restrictions, rather than having to show laws do not impose an "undue burden" on women seeking abortion.

POLITICS

Iowa Supreme Court to rule Friday on 6-week abortion ban, could set standard for new laws​

William Morris
Des Moines Register

SKIP

The Iowa Supreme Court will release a highly anticipated ruling Friday that could have massive implications for the ability of women to obtain abortions in Iowa.
At issue is a 2023 law banning most abortions after fetal cardiac activity can be detected, about six weeks into a pregnancy. A lower court blocked the law from going into effect, and Gov. Kim Reynolds has appealed that ruling.
Reynolds and Attorney General Brenna Bird have asked the court to reverse a 2015 decision and hold the state must prove only that it has a "rational basis" for abortion restrictions, rather than having to show laws do not impose an "undue burden" on women seeking abortion.

Planned Parenthood of the Heartland, which sued to block the law, has argued that the undue burden standard should remain, or alternatively, that the Supreme Court should remand the case for further proceedings, possibly setting up another appeal next year.
The decision will be the latest in a string of abortion-related cases to come before the state's highest court. In 2023, the court considered a challenge to a previous version of the so-called "fetal heartbeat" abortion ban, but deadlocked 3-3. Nonbinding opinions from that case suggest at least three justices were in favor of the undue burden standard, and that the other three favored the easier rational basis test.

Interest Reaction GIF

First, college grads are fleeing this State.

Republicans want women of child bearing age to follow.

What Mississippi North is left with is old, white, uneducated males.

Great!

Last edited:
Reactions: h-hawk
Personally I don’t see it as any of my business as to what your pregnant daughter does with her fetus and I would expect you respect that right for my daughter as well. And you and I are “the State” aren’t we? Why can’t Kim see it this way? Why can’t religious zealots see it this way? Why can’t the Ioway Kegislature see it this way?

I would bet a dollar to a donut that IF a vote of Iowans was held today, the vast majority of Iowans would feel similarly……J would wager greater than 60% would think it’s not their business to interfere with someone’s pregnancy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT