ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa to Hold Final Four Watch Party at Carver

conn53victor

All-Conference
Oct 15, 2014
EDIT: I forgot that they had the watch party last year. Do I still get any credit for the idea?

All it took was eight years and a new athletic director.

https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2024/04/03/wbb-final-four-watch-party/

Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2016 9:26 PM
To: Barta, Gary A
Subject: Show Away Games @ Carver

As long-time women's basketball ticket holders, we are always frustrated by the difficulty in watching away games. It would be a great fan experience to be able to come to the hospitality room at Carver and watch the game with other fans. We have cut the cord, so cable isn't an option for us. We tried BTN online, but the games were intermittent and often unavailable or unwatchable. Go to a bar? Uh, not high on our list. We did try it once but had to fight to get the television switched to the women's game. I suggest trying it a couple times next season and see how it feels.

Thanks for your consideration. It would be a strong show of support of the university's support of women athletes.

--
Jim Calkins
"Life is something like a trumpet. If you don't put anything in, you won't get anything out." (William Christopher Handy)

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 8:23 AM
Subject: RE: Show Away Games @ Carver
To: Jim Calkins

Jim,
Thanks for your support for Hawkeye Women’s basketball! I love the future of this team with 2 freshmen, 2 soph’s, and 1 Jr. in the starting five….all coming back!
We appreciate fan feedback and ideas. I’ll forward your thoughts to our marketing team for consideration next year. No guarantee if we will or won’t be able to do it…but we are constantly brainstorming ways to grow the excitement.
Again, thanks for your Hawkeye support!
Gary

Last edited:
OiT may be in town are tickets available or is that an impossibility we are talking like five figures for tickets

As long-time women's basketball ticket holders, we are always frustrated by the difficulty in watching away games. It would be a great fan experience to be able to come to the hospitality room at Carver and watch the game with other fans. We have cut the cord, so cable isn't an option for us. We tried BTN online, but the games were intermittent and often unavailable or unwatchable. Go to a bar? Uh, not high on our list. We did try it once but had to fight to get the television switched to the women's game. I suggest trying it a couple times next season and see how it feels.

Thanks for your consideration. It would be a strong show of support of the university's support of women athletes.

--
Jim Calkins
"Life is something like a trumpet. If you don't put anything in, you won't get anything out." (William Christopher Handy)

Jim,
Thanks for your support for Hawkeye Women’s basketball! I love the future of this team with 2 freshmen, 2 soph’s, and 1 Jr. in the starting five….all coming back!
We appreciate fan feedback and ideas. I’ll forward your thoughts to our marketing team for consideration next year. No guarantee if we will or won’t be able to do it…but we are constantly brainstorming ways to grow the excitement.
Gary
They had it planned for the final four game last season but that's the day I believe the tornado came through. Then, they held it for the championship game and it was a good time.

Reactions: MilleGinja
They had it planned for the final four game last season but that's the day I believe the tornado came through. Then, they held it for the championship game and it was a good time.
I am wondering if 17,000 people will mob that place and a bunch of people are turned away

--
Jim Calkins

Jim,
Gary

They did this last year

So….. OP requested the AD open CHA watch parties so they wouldn’t have to pay for cable?!?!? Ok

Reactions: bojihawk44
So….. OP requested the AD open CHA watch parties so they wouldn’t have to pay for cable?!?!? Ok
Paying for cable is one thing, but last November, it took five paid subscriptions to watch all Iowa's wbb road games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT