ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa v. Grand View - Wednesday, March 22nd

AuroraHawk

HR Heisman
Dec 18, 2004
First pitch - 4:05 p.m. - WEDNESDAY - moved due to anticipated weather issues

After Iowa's 5-3 Game 2 win on Sunday, Iowa dropped to #36 in RPI.

Current RPI Ranking: #36 - Iowa is 6 points behind #35 Ohio State and 2 points ahead of #37 Florida State.
RPI Metrics: Non-RPI game because Grand View is a NAIA opponent.

What do I know about Grand View? Jack Sh--.

From their website, I see that they are currently 13-3. They played a DH yesterday (two 7 inning games) - split games against Peru State College. Logan Smith started the first game and threw 89 pitches in 4 innings. Jason Moist started the second game and threw 87 pitches in 4 innings. That rules those two out as potential pitchers today. They had four other relievers pitch an inning or less . . . all of them threw 20+ pitches. They have 15 players on their roster with "P" next to their names. Thus, they should have plenty of arms . . . just difficult to see who might be the likely starter. The GV Baseball website does not have a "Statistics" page. Odd. Also, their roster is huge. 38 on varsity; 20 on junior varsity. Long way of concluding that I have no clue who will take the mound for GV today . . . their Twitter feed is not helpful.

Some familiar faces on GV's roster - players from my "neck of the woods." Langenberg, Llewellyn and Christensen's former Urbandale teammates Blake Heinen, Rece Heinen and Seth Wilson are on GV's roster. (The Heinens were coached by their father at UHS; he's now the coach at Waukee NW). Wilmes and Moss' former Johnston teammates Conner Canny and Jacob Wolver are on GV's roster.

Nearly certain that Heller will employ the proverbial "bullpen game" today. Whitlock is my bet for first in line and we'll likely see Gottilla, Tramontana, Young, Wheatley, Proskovec, DeTaeye and Henderson. Christensen will probably be the catcher and I'm really hoping that Guerin is in the lineup as a DH or 1B.

Even though it won't hurt the RPI, the optics of losing a game like this would be bad. Here's hoping for a double-digit margin of victory.

Last edited:
Current RPI Ranking: #36 - Iowa is 6 points behind #35 Ohio State and 2 points ahead of #37 Florida State.
In light of the fact that yesterday's game was pushed to today . . . . updated RPI.

Current RPI Ranking: #34 - Iowa is 16 points behind #33 Indiana State and 4 points ahead of #35 Univ. California Santa Barbara and 4 points ahead of #36 West Virginia.

Paying work interfered with my ability to catch today's pre-game broadcast.

Just logged on . . . and missed the first part of Heller's interview. Here's what I heard:

Heller feels really good about how Langenberg, Simpson, Llewellyn and Christopherson performed against SDSU.

Heller commenting that some of the pre-season teams that could help Iowa's RPI haven't performed very well and that is "disappointing." Comments that there will be very few opportunities for Iowa to make waves with the RPI given how its B1G opponents have performed thus far. He's hoping that Iowa's B1G opponents show improvement going forward simply because of RPI and improving Iowa's RPI as season advances. Calls the RPI system "crazy" when you lose points for winning games.

Wants Langenberg to be Iowa's "second starter." Does not want him working out of the bullpen. (My comment: All but cements Brecht as Friday starter but suggests that it will be Langenberg on Saturday and Morgan on Sunday) Langenberg's biggest problem is that his fastball speed has been down and, when that happens, the difference in speed between fastball and change-up is very little and hinders Langenberg's effectiveness. Hard to keep hitters off balance if there is little change in speed between fastball and change-up. Langenberg continues to work closely with pitching coach to ratchet up speed (and control) of fastball.

Today . . . Keaton Anthony will start the game. Will pitch "at least" 2 innings. Heller comments that they're seeing some nice things with developments in Anthony's pitching particularly his slider.

Injury update: Chase Moseley - hamstring. Getting evaluated and ultrasound and possibly MRI tomorrow. He will be out for an extended period of time. Hoping that the news is good but he is prepared that Moseley may be unavailable for a long stretch of time. He seemed to carefully avoid commenting about specific lengths of time but I was left with the impression that, even under the best of circumstances, Moseley won't be available until after the B1G season begins and it could be well after the B1G season begins.

Keys to victory today:
1. Wants the offense to strike early and get a big lead. Feels like the team might be able to relax a bit more if they can get a big lead in the early innings.
2. Pitchers have to throw strikes. Make GV earn their way on base. Claims that GV has some decent hitters and he doesn't want Iowa to give up baserunners via walks.

Offense took Heller's advice to heart. A triple and two doubles in T2 have Iowa up 2-0.

Anthony also took Heller's advice to heart. After a lead-off walk, he's set down every GV hitter. Got out of T2 on 7 pitches.

Iowa up 2-0 in T3. Nick Gottilla pitching.

EDIT: A couple of walks for Gottilla in T3 but he holds GV scoreless.

Last edited:
Iowa up 2-0 in T4. Jason Whitlock pitching. Allows a weak single but is out of the inning quickly with the help of 6-4-3 DP. Less than 10 pitches thrown.

Iowa's offense getting runners on and hitting balls hard but not scoring runs.

Up 2-0 in T5. Obermueller pitching.

EDIT: Obermueller strikes out the side. Game is flying by. Through 4.5 innings in 60 minutes.

Last edited:
Dealing with work phone calls so I couldn't listen to B5 but see that Iowa scored 4. Up 6-0 in T6.

Aaron Savary on the mound for Iowa.

EDIT: Savary gave up a 2 out double but got the next batter out. No damage. To B6, Iowa up 6-0.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT