ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa v. Maryland - Friday, March 31, 2023 - B1G Conference Opener

This won't be a popular opinion. The pitching on this team outside of Brecht is not good. My guess is Iowa finishes 4th - 7th in conference and outside of what they need RPI wise. I think a pretty weak non conference schedule plus a game against LSU where it all came together blinded some people.

Don't give up on Ty Langenberg. Or Anthony. Or Voelker. Tough break today on the line drive. Not only slowed Brecht's roll and knocked him out of game, it likely led to Maryland's first 3 runs. It really flipped the momentum. Iowa had chance to deliver a few heavy punches in B1 and B2 and didn't push more runs across. Bases loaded and one out in B7 and only plated one run on a HBP. Great play by Maryland 1st basemen likely prevented a crooked number inning. Great catch by Maryland CFer in B8 robbed Hucksdorf of a 2 run HR. Robbing that HR prevented the game from being tied in B8.

Maryland is a good team. No shame in losing to them. Just a tough way for it to go down. It was almost as if the air got let out of the balloon when Brecht went down.

Win tomorrow. Win Sunday. Take the series and move on.

Crazy game. I (Maryland guy) certainly didn't expect a win after being down 0-5 vs. a guy who could probably be pitching in the majors right now. Hopefully both teams keep rolling and get to the NCAAs...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT