ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa v. South Dakota State - Friday, March 17th

AuroraHawk

HR Heisman
Dec 18, 2004
Current RPI Ranking: #13 - Iowa is 39 points behind #12 Arkansas and 47 points ahead of #14 Illinois.
RPI Metrics: Iowa win (-31 points); Iowa loss (-244 points).

First pitch - 2:00 p.m.
Locale: Creekside Baseball Complex, Parkville, MO: https://creeksidebaseball.com/complex-map/ I noted the following . . . Creekside is home to 6 high school sized baseball diamonds (my emphasis).

With Langenberg pitching an inning (and a rough one at that) on Wednesday, it is no surprise that Brody Brecht is "moved up" to be today's starter. Morgan slides into the first game on Sunday slot and Heller has not committed to who will start the second game on Sunday.

South Dakota State is a Q4 opponent. The RPIs of South Dakota State's opponents thus far: 253 (1-2), 238 (2-2), 257 (0-1) (Minnesota's first win of the year), 223 (0-3), 287 (0-1), 268 (1-0). Overall, SDS is 4-9 against all Q4 competition. Suffice it to write, Iowa will be their toughest competition to date - by far.

Hard to know who will take the mound for SDS in today's game. Their starters have been abysmal on Fridays:

Blake Kunz against Little Rock: 1 inning, 2 hits/2 walks/4 HBP/7 runs (7 earned) and 3 Ks
Jack Kruger against Utah Tech: .2 inning, 2 hits/2 walks/1 HBP/5 runs (5 earned) and 1 K
Dylan Richey against Western Kentucky: 2.1 innings, 7 hits/1 walk/6 runs (5 earned) and 0 Ks

To be fair, Kruger pitched against Minnesota and put up a decent line: 6.2 innings, 5 hits/2 walks/2 runs (1 earned) and 4 Ks. But Kruger pitched 6+ innings/91 pitches on Tuesday against Lindenwood. He won't pitch today. I'd think that he'd be a candidate for Sunday's late game.

If I had to bet, I'm thinking that it will be Blake Kunz who throws today. https://gojacks.com/sports/baseball/roster/blake-kunz/11813 Former TE on SDSU's football team. Big guy. 6'5" - 250. Probably throws hard (I'm guessing) but has some significant control issues. Pitched four no hit innings against Utah State on 3/5 but walked 7 and gave up 2 runs and threw 87 pitches. Sound familiar? I'm hoping it is Kunz as it would make a really interesting matchup between he and Brecht.

In any event . . . could be a weird game on a self-described "high school" field between two pitchers who have control problems. If Brecht can get ahead in counts, I expect him to plow through SDSU's lineup like he did last year against Bradley and this year against Quinnipiac. If Iowa's hitters are patient, they should have tons of opportunity to score runs. I could see Iowa's pitching staff dominate SDSU's lineup but I just don't see SDSU's pitching staff being able to hold down Iowa's offense. Put me down for Iowa scoring double digits today and for Keaton Anthony to break out of his slump with a HR and Iowa winning by 7 plus runs. (An easy Iowa baseball win + Iowa women's basketball administrating a beatdown will help cleanse the bad taste in my mouth left after last night's Iowa/Auburn game).

Looking ahead, I'm thinking that Langenberg will start Sunday's late game but that Obermueller will throw immediately afterwards. Wouldn't be surprised if this weekend marks the beginning of Brecht on Fridays with decisions to be made on Saturday/Sunday starters (i.e. which day will Morgan get and who will be the 3rd starting pitcher).

EDIT: Had I simply clicked on the link associated with the Tweet below, I would have seen that SDSU is going with Sophomore Alex Clemons today. He's a PVHS graduate from Bettendorf (1st team All-State). Hasn't started a game this year; was solely a reliever last year as a Freshman. Last two outings:

Utah State: 2 IP, 4 hits/3 walks/5 runs (5 earned)/3 Ks (54 pitches)
Western Kentucky: 2 IP, 4 hits/2 walks/5 runs (5 earned)/ 4 Ks (59 pitches)

Clemons' season ERA is 15.88.

Kunz is throwing the first game on Sunday.

Last edited:
Pitching coach Sean McGrath's pre-game interview:

Brecht will pitch no more than 80-85 pitches today (he threw 100+ against Texas Tech). Not completely related to weather. Partially due to him pitching on Friday instead of Saturday. Typically, if a pitcher hits 35 pitches in an inning, he'll get pulled. Today, it will likely be 30 pitches. That's weather related.

Wouldn't commit to who comes in after Brecht. Sounds like it could be about anyone who didn't pitch against St. Thomas.

On Langenberg: His velocity has been down. Trying to get him back on track. That's why he pitched against St. Thomas. Mix things up a bit for him. Was hitting 92-95 against St. Thomas. That's an improvement. Need to get him comfortable again on the mound. Doesn't sound like he'll pitch the second game on Sunday.

(My comment: Very nice to have pitching depth but it is more than a bit disheartening that the B1G preseason Pitcher of the Year seems to be on the verge of losing his weekend spot in the rotation.)

Coach Rick Heller's pre-game interview:

Feels great about how pitchers threw against St. Thomas. Offense was a bit frustrating. Disappointed in a couple of fielding lapses.

On playing in Missouri: You have to play games. Couldn't find a place to play further south that would have been warmer. Still going to be cold. Comments again that this is another reason why the season needs to start later.

Heller not happy with having to deal with the machinations of the weather. Sounds frustrated. Travel takes its toll on a team. Couple that with the weather and heavy wind and it creates stressful situations on potential results. Very sympathetic to SDSU as they have had to deal with a lot of time on a bus.

Games on Sunday are far from a certainty. Sounds like they are really hoping to get one in and the chances of a second game are tenuous at best.

Wind blowing in from straight center field. 15-20 mph. Going to make it a lower scoring game.

Says Brecht to Friday had been discussed previously but Brecht's suspension prevented it from happening sooner. Sounds like it could be permanent.

SDSU's pitching staff has been hit by injuries. But, if SDSU has a late lead, they have a "lights out" closer. Stresses the need for Iowa to not trail late in the game.

Keys to win:
Brecht needs to throw strikes.
Defense needs to be really sharp.
Get baserunners on and put pressure on SDSU's pitchers and defense.

T1:
Walk
K (looking)
Stolen base - error on throw; runner to 3rd
3U (holds runner at 3rd)
P4

Had to step away from radio feed . . . SDSU puts 2 on the board in T3 and Iowa trails 2-0.

First run scored on a balk.
Second run scored on a single.

Last edited:
B3:
Seegers - 1-3
Hucksdorf - single up middle; advances to second on a passed ball
Dorighi - RBI single
Anthony - L4
Tello - RBI double to RCF
Hojnar - P5

2-2 to T4.

Stepped away from broadcast in T4 and SDSU had bases juiced an no outs (started with a leadoff walk). Sounds like Iowa somehow escaped that jam . . .

Iowa strands a leadoff walk in B4.

To T5; tied.

Brecht still pitching to start T5.
Voelker warming in the bullpen.

EDIT: Brecht has walked the leadoff hitter in innings 1, 3, 4 and 5.

EDIT #2: Batter bunts it back to Brecht and he overthrows second base. Hojnar backed up the play and keeps runners at 1st and 2nd base.

So far, of Heller's keys to win, (a) Brecht has not been throwing strikes and (b) Iowa's defense has not been sharp.

EDIT #3: Another pitcher's best friend allows Iowa to escape T5 with no damage. Brecht has to be done. He's at 91 pitches.

Last edited:
Heller's key to win #3 was lots of baserunners to put pressure on SDSU . . . so far, lots of baserunners but the big hit is once again elusive. SDSU gets a pitcher's best friend to close out B5.

To T6. Voelker on the mound.

EDIT: Voelker gets SDSU out 1-2-3 on 6 pitches.

EDIT: It's now snowing in Missouri.

Last edited:
Heller key to win #2 - solid defense: Leadoff double for SDSU and Peterson nails the runner trying to stretch it into a triple.

Voelker then Ks the next two hitters. 11 pitch inning.

Walks kill.

T8:
Walk
HBP
Single - bases juiced; no one out.

Christopherson to try to put out the fire.

EDIT: Christopherson walks in a run.

EDIT #2: K, K, Infield single (RBI)

EDIT #3: K

Iowa now down 4-2. To B8.

Last edited:
Iowa with a huge rally!!! HELL YEAH. Hucksdorf with a huge 2-RBI double in B8! Iowa scores 3 runs after 2 outs.

EDIT: Two fly balls caught at the wall in B8. Would've been a massive inning if it wasn't for the strong wind blowing in. Iowa up 5-4.

Last edited:
Iowa going to Luke Llewellyn to close the game.

EDIT: First pitch, one out. Infield pop fly. Snow is coming down hard.

EDIT #2: Swinging K.

EDIT #3: Four pitch walk.

EDIT #4: K!!!!!!

Hawks win . . . had an awful feeling about the way that game was evolving.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT