ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa v. South Dakota State - Sunday, March 19th

AuroraHawk

HR Heisman
Dec 18, 2004
Current RPI Ranking: #24 - Iowa is 5 points behind #23 Creighton and 7 points ahead of #25 Arizona.
RPI Metrics: For Game #1, Iowa win (-26 points); Iowa loss (-229 points). The metrics for Game #2 would change somewhat depending upon the result of Game #1.

They've pushed back the start time of Game 1 by an hour. My guess is that they'll only play one game today. If memory serves (and I certainly am not 100% on this), there have been occasions in the past where the teams have agreed to play two 7 inning games. Given what's on the line this year, I certainly hope that is not on Heller's radar screen.

Marcus Morgan v. Blake Kunz for the opener.

FWIW (as of 10:00 a.m. CDT), the weather here in "suburban" Des Moines is sunny, chilly but absolutely no wind. Add 10-15 degrees to this weather and baseball would be playable. Not great (maybe not even "good") but certainly playable. Bodes well for getting in a single game in about 3 hours in Iowa City.

Pre-Game Broadcast . . .

Weather description: Cold and windy. No snow in the forecast.

Double-header: First game will be 9 innings. Second game will be 7 innings. (My comment: I. Do. Not. Like. That)

Iowa's radio announcers make it sound like SDSU's coach wanted to play a single game so that his team could get back at a decent hour later today. Heller wanted to play two . . . he offered the 7 inning option.

Heller's interview:

Laments the number of errors lately. Not necessarily the physical errors but stressing the mental errors. Reminded players after the SDSU game on Friday that failing to eliminate the "Little League" stuff will come back and bit the team when better opponents are on the field.

Llewellyn closed the game on Friday because (a) Christopherson is still recovering from his illness and (b) pitched in a really high leverage situation in the 8th inning. Heller didn't want to run him out there for a second inning.

Wind currently blowing from NW but forecast suggests that, at about 1:00 p.m., wind will shift to coming from SE.

Heller stresses the need to get pitchers time on the mound. That's why he wanted to get in a second game. Feels like it will be a good mental test to play two games. Says it will happen in B1G season and the team needs to experience a DH before B1G play.

Morgan, Simpson are lined up for Game 1.

Obermueller is likely starter for Game 2. Outside chance that it will be Langenberg. Doesn't rule out that Obermueller or Langenberg will pitch - if needed - in Game 1.

Once again stresses that SDSU's closer is nasty. Claims it is imperative that Iowa cannot put itself in a situation where SDSU's closer is in to close out a game in the 9th.

Heller's keys to victory:
1. Morgan to throw 4-5 innings w/o the "blip" inning with 2-3 walks. States that innings like that make it tough on the coaches to determine whether or not to go to the bullpen.
2. Short half innings for Iowa on defense. Long half innings when SDSU is on defense. When it is cold, long innings take a toll on the team.
3. Offense needs to barrel up the ball more consistently.

From the broadcast booth:

Haven’t been close to my laptop …

Iowa up 5-2 … to B6.

Not a great day for Morgan in 3 IP.

Simpson has been spectacular in his 3 IP. He’s got at least another inning left in the tank.

Iowa has stranded 8 runners in 5 innings.

Sounds like Chase Moseley suffered a significant hamstring injury in B5. Was helped off the field with a guy on both sides. No weight on injured leg.

7 run B6.

Iowa wins 12-2 in 7 innings. 10 run rule in effext today.

Simpson with 4 very good innnings. Iowa has lots of pitching depth for Game #2. SDSU - not so much. Since it is a 7 inning game, Iowa need ato jump out early.

30 minutes between games. Perfect to watch end of women’s hoops game.

Reactions: MilleGinja
After Iowa's 12-2 Game 1 win, Iowa drops to #28 in RPI.

Current RPI Ranking: #28 - Iowa is 3 points behind #27 Wake Forest and 4 points ahead of #29 Creighton.
RPI Metrics: For Game #2, Iowa win (-28 points); Iowa loss (-215 points).

As expected, Obermueller started Game #2.

Struggling a bit out of the gate . . 1st batter HBP; 2nd batter walks; 3rd batter HBP. Grrrrrrrr. Simply can't fall behind by much in a 7 inning game - particularly when SDSU has a lights-out closer.

EDIT: Texas Tech is going to take 2 of 3 from Oklahoma State. LSU looks like it will get its second loss of the season against Texas A&M. Other "indirect" games involving Iowa's previous opponents not going well.

EDIT #2: Disaster in the first inning. Absolute disaster. Bases loaded single plates a runner. Wild pitch by Obermueller plates a second run. Runners on second and third and no outs. Heller points to the bullpen and deploys an early hook and a 2-0 count on the batter . . . Obermueller doesn't record a single freaking out. Llewellyn coming into the game in a really tough spot. Iowa down 2-0 and SDSU is threatening to score even more. (Is this where I comment again about how much I freaking hate agreeing to a 7 inning second game in cold and windy weather?)

EDIT #3: Llewellyn with some stones. Strikes out three straight batters to hold SDSU to 2 runs. The Urbandale battery (Llewellyn to Christensen) comes through! Had a ton of fun watching that a few years ago as they won two straight state championships.

Last edited:
E2 . . . Iowa down 3-1. Hawks wasted a leadoff double in B2.

Langenberg to the mound for the start of T3. Another Urbandale battery for the Hawks.

Going to need the B1G preseason Pitcher of the Year to have his good stuff today to keep this game close. Must. Throw. Strikes.

EDIT: 1-2-3 for Langenberg. Two easy pop up outs and a called third strike (94 mph fastball). Much needed. Now the bats need to get rolling. Top of the order for Iowa in B3.

Last edited:
Hawks push across 2 runs in B3 . . . the last scoring on a wild pitch (evening up a gift run that Obermueller gave up in T1 on a WP). Tied 3-3.

Langenberg needs to shut them down. He starts the inning with a swinging K on three pitches.

Very nice inning for Langenberg. Should've been 1-2-3 but a Seegers error allowed a runner. But Langenberg shut them down quietly.

Last edited:
The "good" Ty Langenberg showed up today. Allows an infield single (dribbler up the 3rd base line) but SDSU goes down quietly. To B5.

Iowa needs to get some runs . . . SDSU is approaching the part of the game when they can bring in their first-rate closer.

HELL YEAH!
Raider Tello with a 2 out/2 run HR in B5 off the scoreboard in LF. Huge hit.

EDIT:

Last edited:
Another great half inning for Langenberg in T6 - striking out the side. Iowa leads 5-3 heading to B6.

Radio broadcast team saying that Christopherson is starting to warm in the pen. Tough call for Heller and crew . . . do you stick with Langenberg who is throwing well or do you go with your closer (Christopherson)?

I'd be inclined to send Langenberg out there but on a very short leash (i.e. if he allows a runner with either 0 or 1 out, go to the bullpen). Make sure that Christopherson is ready to go at a moment's notice if Langenberg falters.

EDIT: Iowa goes down with nary a whisper in B6. Who takes the mound?

It's Christopherson to close the game in T7.

EDIT: Backwards K.

EDIT #2: 5-3

EDIT #3: Swinging K.

Hell Yeah! Much needed sweep. A kick in the RPI nuts but Iowa moves to 15-3 overall.

Tip of the cap to Jared Simpson and Ty Langenberg. Much needed pitching performances out of those guys today.

Another tip of the cap to Sam Peterson (3 run jack in G1) and Raider Tello (2 run jack in G2).

EDIT: While Simpson and Langenberg are fully deserving of a shout out, Llewellyn's effort after coming into the game in T1 with runners on 2nd and 3rd and no outs and SDSU already plating 2 was absolutely instrumental to securing a sweep. If SDSU goes up 3-0 or 4-0, that's a tough hole out of which to dig.

Great day to be a Hawkeye.

Last edited:
I think it was worth the RPI hit to play that DH. It’s unlikely this is the last time we’re needing a DH sweep against a bad team. I think there’s more clarity that Langenberg is back in the weekend starting rotation and the team responded positively to early multi run deficits in every game of the series, with multiple guys coming in from the pen for damage control. I feel like there was a lot more gained from how this series played out than if we had a couple easy romps.

Tello and Peterson will be key guys to get going to protect Anthony, he’s really starting to get worked around a lot.

I think there’s more clarity that Langenberg is back in the weekend starting rotation

Sure sounds like Brecht will be the Friday starter going forward.

I think that you are spot on that yesterday's performance likely earned Langenberg a weekend spot (at least against WMU and Maryland). My "spider sense" suggests Sunday will be where he lands with Morgan starting on Saturdays.

Tough day for Obermueller yesterday but . . . Iowa baseball fans should feel pretty good about having Voelker, Simpson and Obermueller coming out of the bullpen and being able to throw multiple innings if a starter falters.

Sure sounds like Brecht will be the Friday starter going forward.

I think that you are spot on that yesterday's performance likely earned Langenberg a weekend spot (at least against WMU and Maryland). My "spider sense" suggests Sunday will be where he lands with Morgan starting on Saturdays.

Tough day for Obermueller yesterday but . . . Iowa baseball fans should feel pretty good about having Voelker, Simpson and Obermueller coming out of the bullpen and being able to throw multiple innings if a starter falters.

Keaton can eat some innings too. I think we’ll see Brecht with a longer leash on Friday to pitch out of his own jams. Even if his walk total stays fairly high, few teams in the Big Ten will have many guys in their lineup making solid contact against him and I think at the start of the year Heller just wanted him to start the game against LSU

Keaton can eat some innings too. I think we’ll see Brecht with a longer leash on Friday to pitch out of his own jams. Even if his walk total stays fairly high, few teams in the Big Ten will have many guys in their lineup making solid contact against him and I think at the start of the year Heller just wanted him to start the game against LSU
Good point . . . I overlooked him. Anthony is definitely in the mix for multiple inning needs.

I'm very curious to see how much patience Heller has with Brecht. When you have quality arms in the bullpen that can give you 4 - 5 innings, it is awfully hard to watch a pitcher struggle with command and give up cheap runs . . . particularly when Iowa must dominate the B1G regular season to have a realistic chance at being a Regional Team.

And, even if Brecht can pitch his way out of self-induced jams, he's not going to get past the 5th inning very often when his pitch count exceeds 20 in most innings. With his current control, he's a 4-5 inning pitcher.

Good point . . . I overlooked him. Anthony is definitely in the mix for multiple inning needs.

I'm very curious to see how much patience Heller has with Brecht. When you have quality arms in the bullpen that can give you 4 - 5 innings, it is awfully hard to watch a pitcher struggle with command and give up cheap runs . . . particularly when Iowa must dominate the B1G regular season to have a realistic chance at being a Regional Team.

And, even if Brecht can pitch his way out of self-induced jams, he's not going to get past the 5th inning very often when his pitch count exceeds 20 in most innings. With his current control, he's a 4-5 inning pitcher.
As a long-suffering Twins fan, it seems Heller & Co. have adopted the MLB approach, hoping to get 5 innings before passing the game on to high-end (for Iowa, not Twins) relievers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT