ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs OK State

If Gabe has Olympic aspirations I think he should get used to 184. I don't see him cutting to 74kg(162.8lbs) I know he is a little short for the weight but he will do just fine if he were a career 184. 2028 he would likely be wrestling at the 86kg(189.2lbs) Might as well get used to the weight. It sounds like next year we will have 4 blue chip 174lbers in Brands, Gabe, Kennedy, and Angelo Ferrari.

Less of a point difference between Brands and Kennedy than between Assad and Riggins, and Cass and Hill.

Nelson was a fringe AA who wrestled a monster NCAA.

We've got 0 combined points coming this year at 184 and 285.
I don't know that I agree.

Abe Assad has gone 1-2 at the NCAA tournament the past two years. How many team points has he scored there? Can't be much at all. The key word in your sentence regarding Nelson is "was" a fringe AA. He certainly wouldn't have been a fringe AA if wrestling this year. Kennedy has done really well at 174 despite being up a weight, but I think Nelson would score more points at NCAAs. Cheering for PK to prove me wrong.

Yes? All three losses are to top 6 guys. Two of them to national champs, the other when he had just come back from injury and had no lungs and was still weighing in within striking distance of 165 for Soldier Salute. He beat a guy who beat Nelson last year and was ranked 3rd at the time. That guy's only other loss is O'Toole.

Also, let's remember Nelson was the 11 seed for a reason last year. He lost matches to Baily O'Reilly, Rocky Jordan, and Edmund Ruth and needed a late takedown to come from behind against the 22 seed in round 1.

Let's not get carried away here. I think we all think Nelson is better, but PK has done a nice job this year.

If Gabe has Olympic aspirations I think he should get used to 184. I don't see him cutting to 74kg(162.8lbs) I know he is a little short for the weight but he will do just fine if he were a career 184. 2028 he would likely be wrestling at the 86kg(189.2lbs) Might as well get used to the weight. It sounds like next year we will have 4 blue chip 174lbers in Brands, Gabe, Kennedy, and Angelo Ferrari.
I know it's a big IF, but if Caliendo could go to 157 that would be a pretty salty line up from 157 on up. Caliendo - Kennedy - Arnold - Brands - Glazier - Kueter. Throw Ferrari in the mix and I kind of like it. Rathjen at 149 is pretty solid too.

Yes? All three losses are to top 6 guys. Two of them to national champs, the other when he had just come back from injury and had no lungs and was still weighing in within striking distance of 165 for Soldier Salute. He beat a guy who beat Nelson last year and was ranked 3rd at the time. That guy's only other loss is O'Toole.

Also, let's remember Nelson was the 11 seed for a reason last year. He lost matches to Baily O'Reilly, Rocky Jordan, and Edmund Ruth and needed a late takedown to come from behind against the 22 seed in round 1.

Let's not get carried away here. I think we all think Nelson is better, but PK has done a nice job this year.

I appreciate the positive outlook. Balances out what we have seen--getting outclassed by every AA he's been on the mat with. But as you pounded home, he's undersized.

I don’t see why Cali would cut down when he won the weight.

Maybe because he could never beat Franek for 157? He said at NDSU Franek was better than him and made him better in the process. But that doesn't mean 157 might not be his personal preferred weight if that option existed.

Reactions: 12tdsaw
I know it's a big IF, but if Caliendo could go to 157 that would be a pretty salty line up from 157 on up. Caliendo - Kennedy - Arnold - Brands - Glazier - Kueter. Throw Ferrari in the mix and I kind of like it. Rathjen at 149 is pretty solid too.
Until BK proves he can go at hwt that’s a big question mark. Only wrestling half a year, January will be getting into wrestling shape, can he add some weight/muscle to that frame. Hell of a wrestler but hard to count on that weight right now.

Sometimes things are done for the betterment of the team.
Not to often. Guys move weights usually because it is better for them, not the team.
Only way it makes sense is if Nelson is coming back to wrestle 174 next year. Then you can RS Gabe next year.
if Gabe were to were to wrestle at NCAA’s, it would be at 174, assuming he beats Kennedy. They would not waste his redshirt at 184 unless 1st place was on the line.

Reactions: Grip220
Nelson had 8 losses last year, 7 of which were all americans.

he had wins over the guys currently ranked 6th and 8th. (and Kennedy is 7th).

he'd be very good.

that being said, i'd imagine if he was eligible he'd be 184.
Nobody was saying that Nelson wouldn't be good! Just that PK isn't a total drop off.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Four blue chippers, eh? Really?

• Haha
Reactions: AriesRam
You guys are sure big on Kennedy. Caliendo makes Kennedy look like he’s wearing cement boots, imo.
Caliendo beat Kennedy when he was getting into match shape. I would say they are pretty evenly matched at this point. But to dive in a bit deaper - who has the better win this year? Kennedy handled Ruth pretty impressively. Who has Caliendo beaten in that range?

Caliendo beat Kennedy when he was getting into match shape. I would say they are pretty evenly matched at this point. But to dive in a bit deaper - who has the better win this year? Kennedy handled Ruth pretty impressively. Who has Caliendo beaten in that range?
Caliendo has a win over Shane Griffith

Reactions: kkhawk
Haven't seen our current 184 lbers name brought up. You all saying he is out of the running for any starting spot next year?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT