ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs. Stanford at Standford Stadium

would love for this to happen, living in Reno I don’t get to see the Hawks in person much anymore.

No trying to stir the pot or anything, but I would think PSU would be a good choice. They have a big following all over the country (A lot of it due to other sports). I know Iowa has a HUGE midwestern following, but I am not sure how big of a draw they would be in CA. On the other hand if they can pull it off next year, they are the returning NCAA champs and that could be a big draw. They also may shut Stanford out and PSU most likely would not do that.
It will be fun to see how this plays out.

No trying to stir the pot or anything, but I would think PSU would be a good choice. They have a big following all over the country (A lot of it due to other sports). I know Iowa has a HUGE midwestern following, but I am not sure how big of a draw they would be in CA. On the other hand if they can pull it off next year, they are the returning NCAA champs and that could be a big draw. They also may shut Stanford out and PSU most likely would not do that.

Speaking from personal experience, the Hawks came down to Tucson to play Arizona in football. It seemed like there were more Hawk fans than Arizona fans...it wasn't the case but it was close. The same could be probably be said for PSU, tOSU, Michigan, Nebby and etc in football. The thing that Iowa has over PSU in wrestling is multi-generational excellence. If you went to Iowa in the 70s,80's,90's, 2000s, you likely saw a national championship team in a dual. It's woven into the fabric here. So even if a Bay Area Hawk fan didn't follow our sport close, they would probably go on GP alone.

Marinelli could get his revenge... intriguing

I don't think they will be at the same weight, will they?

Is this some sort of joke? PSU a bigger draw than Iowa? Huh?

How big is wrestling in CA? Didn’t Stanford almost cut their team a few months ago? Now they want to draw more then 40k fans for a dual meet? Weird.
I think it's a possibility that the novelty of the idea could draw a decent crowd.

I would also guess they'll fib some "tickets sold" numbers like Nebraska does with their sellout streak to say they broke the record............

I wanted to throw in a 'Did AC Slater want to go to PSU?' comment, but then I felt too much like a Nebraska football fan for referencing something from the nineties. :)

That said, Iowa has had much more recent success than the Huskers in football, including being the reigning champs. Lastly, a Saved by the Bell reference would also be a subtle dig by pointing out that wrestling didn't start 2010...

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes

I am 100% certain more Iowa fans would travel to CA than PSU fans. Several times more.

Reactions: hawkeye54545
One of my biggest regrets is not attending the Iowa/Oklahoma State dual at Kinnick. Stanford would be a fun road trip in the fall and you know Iowa would want to break the record again but frankly, I doubt the Stanford dual would come close to Kinnick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT