ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa was among just five states that did not receive statewide funding through the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s $7 billion Solar for All

Green energy isn’t very green.

The International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA)’s official projections assert that “large amounts of annual waste are anticipated by the early 2030s” and could total 78 million tonnes by the year 2050. That’s a staggering amount, undoubtedly. But with so many years to prepare, it describes a billion-dollar opportunity for recapture of valuable materials rather than a dire threat. The threat is hidden by the fact that IRENA’s predictions are premised upon customers keeping their panels in place for the entirety of their 30-year life cycle. They do not account for the possibility of widespread early replacement.

The totality of these unforeseen costs could crush industry competitiveness. If we plot future installations according to a logistic growth curve capped at 700 GW by 2050 (NREL’s estimated ceiling for the U.S. residential market) alongside the early-replacement curve, we see the volume of waste surpassing that of new installations by the year 2031. By 2035, discarded panels would outweigh new units sold by 2.56 times. In turn, this would catapult the LCOE (levelized cost of energy, a measure of the overall cost of an energy-producing asset over its lifetime) to four times the current projection. The economics of solar — so bright-seeming from the vantage point of 2021 — would darken quickly as the industry sinks under the weight of its own trash.

You're posting 4 years old information (again)

Multiple groups and companies have already developed business models around recycling panels and recovering the components. As most installed panels still have 10-20 years of lifespan, there is another decade before those efforts really need to ramp up.

• Haha
Reactions: abby97
Any Cedar Rapidians seeing a cost benefit yet due to the solar field monstrosity built in Palo? I honestly don't know and haven't heard.
If we're going to destroy hundreds of acres of landscape there should certainly be a benefit to the community vs the energy company, no?

Don't sweat it. I'm sure the feds left no portion unspent.
That’s the shame here Aardvard.
In the early ‘70’s I received the best civics lesson in my life.
It was Tulip Time and my dad, a huge Roosevelt Democrat was hosting Congressnan Neal Smith in the. Ack of his store before the Saturday parade. With them were a couple of local councilmen. Neal asked about their “concerns” and a couple of them were upset at what Smuth was sponsoring a couple of projects in his district that were “so costly”….Amirh replied that that money has been budgeted and spent somewhere…and his job was go get as much of it spent “here” as he could….but he reminded them, the $$ was going to ge spent…. That’s how budgets work. Maybe not “at home” but in the business and government world…
This is no different but then YOU know this, too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT