ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa win and Nebraska synopsis

StarHawk

All-Conference
May 27, 2019
Here's the breakdown of Nebraska's style:

Poke at the eyes
Feign shots (apparently refs in Lincoln count these as actual shots and never call stalling)
Always retreat to edge of mat to flee any shots
If taken down or in a bad position quickly grab and twist an ankle
Stall...Stall...Stall
....and lastly act like complete A-holes after winning a match probably should have lost by prancing and flexing ( PEDS are wonderful for that)

Poke at the eyes
Feign shots (apparently refs in Lincoln count these as actual shots and never call stalling)
Stall...Stall...Stall
....and lastly act like complete A-holes after winning a match probably should have lost by prancing and flexing ( PEDS are wonderful for that)
I suppose that’s what you get when you’re being coached by the biggest puke in the sport.

It seems like anymore that is the go to shot defense for just about everybody. Reach over the top, grab a toe, rip it as hard as you can and wait for potentially dangerous.
RBY is the king of this move. I might add, rip it against the joint as well. They sure watch the joints in pinning combinations.

The rules committee needs to re-examine this. Watch the reversal in the Young match. KY either gave it up or would have had his knee blown out. Same thing in the Kemerer scramble. if a ref sees it initiated it should be PD and stopped.
I don’t care for scrambling anyway. It’s boring and dangerous.

Which opposing teams have earned you respect to the point where that wouldn’t be your assessment after a dual meet?

Reactions: PSUer1989
Nebraska isn't among my favorite teams, and Manning isn't among my favorite coaches. That said, they wrestled very well last night. They held 125 & 165 to decisions that should've been bonus-point matches. Red is kind of a jerk but is always slick, and he took down Eierman and hung in there 'til the end of the 2nd. Lovett out-Turked Turk with a TD in the final :30 (then acted like he'd just beaten Gabe Steveson, but that's another story). Tough, tough, and tough at 174-184-197--all of them came from behind to win. I agree with you on some of the stalling/style issues, but...the matches we lost we lost because we were out-wrestled by some really tough dudes.

Poke at the eyes
Stall...Stall...Stall
pretty sure this ref is from iowa, pretty sure it was Curt Frost and he is from Gilbertville, IA - Don Bosco.

pretty sure this ref is from iowa, pretty sure it was Curt Frost and he is from Gilbertville, IA - Don Bosco.
it was Frost...and he's a damn good one...but that being said, they all have started to fall into the end of season calling to not interfere with a result. Earlier this year we saw some double stalls called when there was literally no shots taken...last night, there were some matches where nothing was taken until the 3rd period.

During the last scramble Labriola kicked Kem right in the face. If that doesn't happen I 100% believe Kem scores there. I'm all for tough hardnosed wrestling, but kicking someone in the face is bush league BS.

Reactions: TNTwrestle
Don Bosco, figures 🙄.

Just because he's from Iowa doesn't mean he would favor us. I think there are plenty of refs who are Iowa fans but are so scared to show favor towards iowa wrestlers they end up going the other direction.

Last edited:
When the get into that almost scissor position and grabbing toes and ankle, just blow the whistle for PD and restart. It's a bs position that 90% of thr time ends in stalemate and at worst is danger to both athletes.

Or treat it with a 5 count.

Ok folks here goes. Nebraska came to wrestle for the most part. Kudos to them for bringing everything they had but still couldn’t get it done. That being said Manning is a total piece of you know what. You could hear him in the background all night long. If he were coaching at a relivant school the college wrestling world would be all over him. Nebraska circles this date and puts all they have into this day as do most when wrestling the Hawks but Manning would rather bear Iowa in a dual than win a BiG title.

I certainly pick up on an anti-iowa vibe when I'm listening to him.
I don't know that it's entirely an anti-Iowa vibe probably a little bit. I think it is more that a pretty high percentage of the wrestling viewership is Iowa fans (or Penn State fans) and will watch even if the broadcast team displays obvious bias because we are junkies and they are the only dealers. The big ten crew is trying to build excitement in other teams fan bases. Maybe a guy doen't normally watch wrestling but they like Michigan State or Nebraska and they have heard good things about this Cam Caffey kid or Chad Red. When those guys tune in and hear good things about the wrestlers for their schools it probably makes it more likely they will keep watching. This is just my theory though.

Reactions: johnyt9 and hlstone
I would look at this match, and maybe IOWA wrestling in general? I would ask, do you believe ANYONE is wrestling to their TOP potential? I am NOT pointing fingers because this is one of the hardest things to figure out both as a wrestler and a coach!

In other words, even Kemerer, who I feel is the best overall technician on the team. When he was down at the end and started going after the kid, you could see just how dangerous he is. i would bet $1000 that he would beat that kid in the room 99 out of 100 times!

Warner is by far the best example though. For the love of GOD, hit moves and stop trying to "steal" the matches!!!

IF, i was to say anything good about the great Fale and F*** state. It would be, they believe they are good!!! I have seen this many times while coaching. I even told one of the best coaches in our area at the time. While everyone was kissing his ass and telling him how great he was. I said "The best thing about you is you somehow manage to make your kids believe they are the best.

His kids would win matches that they never should have. I see this with F*** st. NO way in hell should KemDawg loose to the chump over there, but he has! DeSanto was in on that other clown what 10Xs and could not finish! Sorry, should not happen!!!

Bull should have ran that nubby kid outa the gym, and it is going on and on. We are wrestling much too tight PERIOD!!! Some are going to have to " make a living" out of it now. Marin, Young, warner, I do not believe they can change. Bull worries me, because while those others will be fighting for AA status. The Bull, honestly, is champ or bust and wrestling to tight will not get it done!

I like what I saw fro Big Cass NOT at nebby, but against the jerk, uh I mean kerk. He actually got taken down and I am sure everyone was like OH SH*T!!! Especially after kerk took out mason. He forced a tie and went after it!!!

At the end of the day, if we are all being honest? THAT is what you want to see. The wrestlers letting it fly and showing their very best. You often see it on the backside of tournaments from some wrestlers. Maybe Warner fits this? While some fold, others come alive! Guessing without the pressure on them it lets them open up.

We need to open up, bottom line!

If you think what Cass did in that match is just laying on top than I don't think you really understand folk style wrestling. Full period rideouts even at the heavier weights are rare for a reason they are extremely tough.
If Iowa is leading by 7 going into HWT. Cass opens up a can of Whoop-Cass on Lance IMO.

He did his job in workmanlike fashion with minimal risk and Iowa won the dual. It is that simple, and Cass said as much post dual (losing 3 in a row late changed his approach). The big man came thru, like he typically does.

The sad thing about Warner is he doesn't need to "steal matches". He's good enough to win on ability. His conditioning has always been lacking. He may actually be better served racing up as many points as possible, while he's got the gas tank vs waiting until late in a match when he's "kaput".

During the last scramble Labriola kicked Kem right in the face. If that doesn't happen I 100% believe Kem scores there. I'm all for tough hardnosed wrestling, but kicking someone in the face is bush league BS.
I’ve always respected Labriola. That said. It’s not entirely surprising considering the way his dad acted last night. It was pathetic and I would say bordered on warranting getting the boot. I can’t speak for the rest of Nebraska fans but I know at least one of the coaches families ware really embarrassed by the behavior of Labriolas dad.

Nebraska isn't among my favorite teams, and Manning isn't among my favorite coaches. That said, they wrestled very well last night. They held 125 & 165 to decisions that should've been bonus-point matches.
I'm not sure I agree with you a hundred percent on your police work there, Tarp.

Ayala was very inactive in the 2nd and then got sloppy and gave up a TD in the 3rd. It was only at that point that he picked up the pace as he should have earlier. He's just a freshman but he should know the situation.

Bull did his thing again where he works far too long for a turn instead of just taking what's there and eventually wearing down his guy and possibly getting backs later. It's really frustrating to watch him at times because we know what he's capable of doing.

Nebraska wrestled some solid matches, especially 74-97, but those 2 matches should have been bonus (that we almost needed) and we didn't do what was needed to get the bonus.

Reactions: TarpHawk
I wish we didn't have so many busted up wrestlers. We have been hit hard by injuries.
I know the season takes a toll on all teams, but its tough watching (for example) Kemerer at 60% or whatever he is.
One feels bad for them knowing what they ordinarily would be capable of.
I guess its just the way it is.

Reactions: TNTwrestle
I had to rewatch this , but you are right. I still think he gets after it the right way for the most part.

Last edited:
I’ve always respected Labriola. That said. It’s not entirely surprising considering the way his dad acted last night. It was pathetic and I would say bordered on warranting getting the boot. I can’t speak for the rest of Nebraska fans but I know at least one of the coaches families ware really embarrassed by the behavior of Labriolas dad.
Sucks to hear.

I don't know that it's entirely an anti-Iowa vibe probably a little bit. I think it is more that a pretty high percentage of the wrestling viewership is Iowa fans (or Penn State fans) and will watch even if the broadcast team displays obvious bias because we are junkies and they are the only dealers. The big ten crew is trying to build excitement in other teams fan bases. Maybe a guy doen't normally watch wrestling but they like Michigan State or Nebraska and they have heard good things about this Cam Caffey kid or Chad Red. When those guys tune in and hear good things about the wrestlers for their schools it probably makes it more likely they will keep watching. This is just my theory though.
I think you are on to something here. I attended the meet with a Nebby guy who has never been to a wrestling meet in Lincoln. He told me after the meet he plans to go to more. Really enjoyed the action and the fans getting after it.

Ok folks here goes. Nebraska came to wrestle for the most part. Kudos to them for bringing everything they had but still couldn’t get it done. That being said Manning is a total piece of you know what. You could hear him in the background all night long. If he were coaching at a relivant school the college wrestling world would be all over him. Nebraska circles this date and puts all they have into this day as do most when wrestling the Hawks but Manning would rather bear Iowa in a dual than win a BiG title.
I would struggle as a ref to not wonder when his athletes are doing on the edge looking to go out of bounce when he kept yelling, "look where youre at" even when not in dangerous positions. Almost begging his guys to get a restart. I agree he is tough to hear in the back ground. And while at it, can we please get rid of the 5 count alert to change the stall position. Lastly, can we remember that stalling can be called on the feet without backing out of bounds.

I think you are on to something here. I attended the meet with a Nebby guy who has never been to a wrestling meet in Lincoln. He told me after the meet he plans to go to more. Really enjoyed the action and the fans getting after it.
That's awesome love to see new fans. If he's close he should try to got to at least part of the Big Tens.

after watching the Brands brother's documentary again it leads me to believe that the only Iowa wrestler currently on the roster who wrestles with the same tenacity as the Brands is Austin DeSanto ... i mean i see the little extra bam on the mat returns and the emphasis put on the scoring and mentally breaking his opponents after a viscous series of offensive attacks.As of of late , all I see a subdued Eierman, a less menacing Bull, a clock watchin Warner and guys who are more worried about pulling out a 1 point win than actually beating an opponent soundly...Wrestling is a mental game and we have sort of lost our edge a bit . .Spencer was a great igniter but times and team has changed...we need to sit back.... regroup and get ready to attack... no more watching the clock to see if we can Hang on to eek out a victory...we need to be that smash mouth, in your face team Once again !!, GO HAWKS !!!!!!!!

after watching the Brands brother's documentary again it leads me to believe that the only Iowa wrestler currently on the roster who wrestles with the same tenacity as the Brands is Austin DeSanto ... i mean i see the little extra bam on the mat returns and the emphasis put on the scoring and mentally breaking his opponents after a viscous series of offensive attacks.As of of late , all I see a subdued Eierman, a less menacing Bull, a clock watchin Warner and guys who are more worried about pulling out a 1 point win than actually beating an opponent soundly...Wrestling is a mental game and we have sort of lost our edge a bit . .Spencer was a great igniter but times and team has changed...we need to sit back.... regroup and get ready to attack... no more watching the clock to see if we can Hang on to eek out a victory...we need to be that smash mouth, in your face team Once again !!, GO HAWKS !!!!!!!!
A few arent running at top intensity yet but I'll wait and to judge until after NCAAs. We were in the same situation last year with a number of guys (DeSanto was one) and outside of couple tight losses in the finals, our guys were totally different animals come tournament time. I trust that our coaches will have the team peaking at the right time this year as well.

LOL Based at least on recent evidence / rules / officiating I would say that the better style is to dance around the edge of the mat burning as little energy as possible while waiting for the other guy to either make a mistake or to get tired then score one take down in the last 45 seconds of the match. See last years National Championship matches.
I still would like to see a return to Brands Brothers style wrestling though as it's more entertaining to watch. Spencer and DeSanto are for sure that type of guy. Eierman is not really that type of guy he's a funk guy. To me Murin and Young try to be those types of guys but are simply not quite as talented as Lee and DeSanto. Murin and Young also tend to be helped by their huge gas tanks. Bull is more than anything a strength and power guy who I think is probably dealing some nagging injuries. Kemmer is perhaps the second best pure talent guy on the team and he has that type of motor too but he is just really banged up at this point. I don't have much of a read yet on Assad yet. Warner I think is deceptively strong and athletic he just does not quite look as cut as some other guys. He obviously has some gas tank issues. I don't think it's for a lack of effort though. I don't see how you survive 5 years in the Iowa room by being lazy. I think he probably just does not have quite genetic makeup to be a tireless guy. Cass maybe is the second best pure talent guy in the room and he is strong and athletic. The only times I don't see him going all out are when he knows the dual depends on him getting 3 or 4 points. All my opinions though.

Reactions: HawkeyePA
Nebraska isn't among my favorite teams, and Manning isn't among my favorite coaches. That said, they wrestled very well last night. They held 125 & 165 to decisions that should've been bonus-point matches. Red is kind of a jerk but is always slick, and he took down Eierman and hung in there 'til the end of the 2nd. Lovett out-Turked Turk with a TD in the final :30 (then acted like he'd just beaten Gabe Steveson, but that's another story). Tough, tough, and tough at 174-184-197--all of them came from behind to win. I agree with you on some of the stalling/style issues, but...the matches we lost we lost because we were out-wrestled by some really tough dudes.
You are spot on my friend! This Nebby guys wrestled hard to get those wins!

I would struggle as a ref to not wonder when his athletes are doing on the edge looking to go out of bounce when he kept yelling, "look where youre at" even when not in dangerous positions. Almost begging his guys to get a restart. I agree he is tough to hear in the back ground. And while at it, can we please get rid of the 5 count alert to change the stall position. Lastly, can we remember that stalling can be called on the feet without backing out of bounds.
I agree 100%

after watching the Brands brother's documentary again it leads me to believe that the only Iowa wrestler currently on the roster who wrestles with the same tenacity as the Brands is Austin DeSanto ... i mean i see the little extra bam on the mat returns and the emphasis put on the scoring and mentally breaking his opponents after a viscous series of offensive attacks.As of of late , all I see a subdued Eierman, a less menacing Bull, a clock watchin Warner and guys who are more worried about pulling out a 1 point win than actually beating an opponent soundly...Wrestling is a mental game and we have sort of lost our edge a bit . .Spencer was a great igniter but times and team has changed...we need to sit back.... regroup and get ready to attack... no more watching the clock to see if we can Hang on to eek out a victory...we need to be that smash mouth, in your face team Once again !!, GO HAWKS !!!!!!!!I
I agree with what you are saying problem is the sport has changed so much from those days.
1. Edge wrestling is a issue
2. There is a lot more counter/strategic type wrestlers out there. More tape being watched to develop counters and see tendencies of wrestlers.
3. There is a ton more ankle bombs as I call them. Grab for a ankle and hope stalemate or scramble and get points of your own.
In conclusion I am almost to a point where I enjoy high school wrestling more because it’s pure and what the sport is meant to be not so much based on tapes and counter wrestling just my stuff is better than yours.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT