ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa wins NWCA National Duals

Todd Conner

HR MVP
Dec 23, 2004

It is great to be an Iowa Wrestling fan.

Go Hawks!

Todd - You mentioned Iowa did not have their entire lineup. Who was missing? Sorry, I am still learning the roster for the women's team?

Reactions: wyldhawk9
Todd - You mentioned Iowa did not have their entire lineup. Who was missing? Sorry, I am still learning the roster for the women's team?
136-Estrella is #1 and Han is #3
143-Schmit #2, but Larramendy is #1
191-Calkins, but I'm not sure she wrestled at all this year.

Luft bumped up.

Those are all I noticed.

Luft bumped up.

Those are all I noticed.
Calkins is not 191. She wrestled 235 at the Missouri open when they had it as an exhibition weight. Alivia White had been the starting 191 and is ranked 8th, but Foeller is coming out of redshirt, beat White twice at the Soldier Salute, and was the runner up last year.

Reactions: moug
Calkins is not 191. She wrestled 235 at the Missouri open when they had it as an exhibition weight. Alivia White had been the starting 191 and is ranked 8th, but Foeller is coming out of redshirt, beat White twice at the Soldier Salute, and was the runner up last year.
Correct, but I don't think 235 is an actual weight class so she is listed as 191 on the roster.

Correct, but I don't think 235 is an actual weight class so she is listed as 191 on the roster.
Yea all good. Was just pointing out that if someone was trying to see who the “normal” lineup was, Calkins hasn’t been the 191 but White has.

Luft bumped up.

Those are all I noticed.
I'd be surprised if Larramendy retains her #1 ranking after the SS loss and another one here today.

Looked at the roster 4 seniors,1 junior, and 23 FR/SO. Which makes sense for a first year program. But the future is bright and the present we already need to where sunglasses.

Todd,

From your story you wrote this. With the success of this tournament I would believe that the UNI-Dome in Cedar Falls will host this event for years to come.

I have a small role in the event staff(part time job) at UNI. But there seemed to be a ton of people there. Was the experience good for most people? Surprised people would think it would be back so quickly after a 12 year absence.

I like Iowa's chances at nationals vs North Central. I don't know the format, but according to the rankings from a couple weeks ago...

Iowa has 12 wrestlers in the top 3, a 7 and a 10.
North Central has 8 in the top 3, a 5, 4 7th, and a 10.

This last weekend will change some rankings, but both a tough top to bottom.

Todd,

From your story you wrote this. With the success of this tournament I would believe that the UNI-Dome in Cedar Falls will host this event for years to come.

I have a small role in the event staff(part time job) at UNI. But there seemed to be a ton of people there. Was the experience good for most people? Surprised people would think it would be back so quickly after a 12 year absence.
I would love this to be the case. I would come back to the Unidome every year to watch National Duals.
Fantastic job by Iowa to win the tourney. Extremely proud of the job our gals did in Cedar Falls.

Biggest miss to this season is our 109 pounder, Nyla Valancia. If she was there she could bump up to 116 and let Brianna go at 109. As seen in the finals yesterday, a top wrestler is going to be able to use their six inches of extra length on Bri.

Congratulations to the women’s team. They are having a great first season! Great work by Coach Chun and the athletes!

Reactions: grapplefann
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT