ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa women's basketball assistant coach Jenni Fitzgerald retires after 24 years with Hawkeyes

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Another domino has fallen within the University of Iowa women’s basketball staff.

Former assistant coach Jenni Fitzgerald — who has served the last four years as an advisor — announced her retirement Wednesday.

Fitzgerald spent the last 32 years on Lisa Bluder’s staff, whether as an assistant, an associate head coach, or “special assistant to the head coach.”

“It’s been a privilege to be a part of the Hawkeye family for the past 24 years,” Fitzgerald said in a release. “(Bluder, Jan Jensen) I had big dreams of filling arenas and hoisting trophies when we first stepped onto campus. Because of the women that came through our program and our Hawkeye community, those dreams became our reality.

“Retiring is bittersweet, but I know I’m one of the few people that can say they had the honor of working alongside their best friends for 32 years. I’m forever grateful for all the memories I’ve made and the people I’ve met along the way.”

Last Monday, Bluder announced her retirement as head coach. Jensen was elevated to the head role.

Fitzgerald spent 38 years in women’s college basketball as a coach and player.

At North Scott High School (she graduated in 1986), Fitzgerald was named Miss Iowa Basketball and the state’s Female Athlete of the Year in 1986. She earned first-team all-state honors in basketball, softball and volleyball, and was a 1995 inductee into the Iowa Girls Basketball Hall of Fame.

At Drake University, Fitzgerald was starting point guard and three-year team captain, earning first-team all-conference recognition as a senior.

She spent two years as a graduate assistant at Southern Illinois before coaching alongside Bluder and Jensen for eight years at Drake.

Fitzgerald helped Iowa to 22 postseason appearances, including five Big Ten tournament championships, two Big Ten regular-season titles, 18 NCAA tournaments, five Sweet 16s, three Elite Eights, two Final Fours, and national championship game appearances in 2023 and 2024.

“I have valued working alongside Jenni the past 32 years,” Bluder said. “She is an amazing strategist and coach, and I am thankful that I get to call her a friend for the rest of our lives.”

Jensen’s staff consists of Raina Harmon, Abby Stamp and Tania Davis. Bluder will work as an advisor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT