ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Wrestling recruit Jacob Warner news clip with highlights and quotes

He is excellent. There was an argument preseason about who the best p4p guy in Illinois was. Some people thought Gomez, some people thought Renteria, some even O'Conner. Now no one argues, it is Warner. This is a kid that Heffernan has to land if he wants to take the next step as a program.

He is excellent. There was an argument preseason about who the best p4p guy in Illinois was. Some people thought Gomez, some people thought Renteria, some even O'Conner. Now no one argues, it is Warner. This is a kid that Heffernan has to land if he wants to take the next step as a program.
You realize Warner has already signed with Iowa right?

You realize Warner has already signed with Iowa right?

Of course. I was opining on how Heffernan can't let guys like Warner get out of State if he ever hopes to take Illinois to the next level. I know he is committed and already signed with the Hawks.

And he got none of them. They don't recruit the state well at all

For anyone interested is seeing one of his big matches this year, who might not pay for FloPro. Here is a free video vs #7 ranked Nationally, Greg Kerkvliet from Simley, Minnesota. Kerkviliet is considered by most to be the best p4p wrestler in Minnesota in the 2019 class (although Flo has his teammate Anthony Jackson, ranked higher than him on their 2019 big board) 2017-Brock Berge, PSU commit, 2018-Gable Stevensen, the prize of the class, 2019- Greg Kerkvliet.

Kerkvliet had wrestled 220 in all of his matches prior to this dual which was the finals of their bracket and Smiley chose instead to have Kerkvliet take on Warner rather than stay at 220 where their other option was likely to be pinned (and did get pinned) without him up at the weight. But hats off to him and his coaches, they wanted to have the young Sophomore take on Warner, the #1 guy in the country. He may have gotten beaten soundly, but you have to tip your cap for taking on the challenge . Prior to this match he was undefeated and I believe he has remained so since. Warner is so very impressive, watch his recovery towards the end of the 2nd period when Kirkvliet gets in on a solid low level shot and takes Warner to his butt and has both legs. Warner manages to not only recover, but end up on top and would have secured another takedown had the refs not called a stallmate with Kirkvliet hanging on to a leg for dear life.

I think Kirkvliet might be the highest ranked opponent Warner has taken on all year, aside from in State Brucki. At the Ironman, Michael Beard was down at 182, Beard is now #2 at 195. I wish we could have seen that matchup. Warner steamrolled his bracket at the Ironman. He did not have a single offensive point scored on him. Spolier Alert: He doesn't have an offensive point scored on him in this match either. He is a stud and he is a kid that Heffernan really really needed to keep in State. He will do some big things for the Hawks.

http://s200.trackwrestling.com/tw/V...wSessionId=flsugeyrkyqngha&matchId=6321851104

Reactions: 24 so far
And he got none of them. They don't recruit the state well at all

This is very true and very frustrating. I have heard people comparing Illinois to Penn State pre Cael and Ohio State pre Tom Ryan. A sleeping Giant. The local talent is there, but seems to leave the State all too often. Northwestern has actually recruited in State better than Illinois.

While this year is bad last year might have been even worse.

Last year we had Isiah White, who was a top 5 p4p guy in the country, ended up #4 behind Hall, Marinelli, and Suriano. White of course chose Ohio State and if he would have got his act together off the mat primarily in the classroom I think he could have been a big factor in a potential NCAA tite for the Buckeyes, instead he is in D2 at Notre Dame in Cleveland.

Then we had #22 overall Rudy Yates, a 133 recruit. A weight where our current starter was going to be a Senior and our only viable backup (Cortez) was transferring to Penn State because he couldn't crack the lineup and was upset. Yates chooses Northern Iowa!

Then, #30 overall, Schultz, who is a 197 recruit, a weight class that we literally had zero bodies on the entire roster returning at and he chooses Nebraska. Still only one body on the entire roster for 197 and he is a Freshmen.

How about one more for good measure, the 4th highest rated p4p kid in the State, #36 Traxler, another weight class of need with only two on the roster. Traxler of course choose to attend Stanford.

Heffernan did land Duncan for 133 and Kibler for 197 along with Mike Carr a very promising PA stud. He also added a plethra of in State kids from the power programs which I like to see, hoping to buid those pipelines, we now have multiple guys from OPRF, Montini, Washington (Warner's school), and St. Rita. It seemed like Marist, where his younger brother is the head coach, was the only local program that had a strong connection to Illinois. That is hopefully changing. I think Heffernan is an excellent coach and support him fully, but I wish his recruiting was a little better. This is where everyone thought Perry was going to make a big impact and has helped. Cortez was very much a Perry recruit for instance. Oh well, maybe next year! I mean if the Cubs can finally win one...

Last edited:
This is very true and very frustrating. I have heard people comparing Illinois to Penn State pre Cael and Ohio State pre Tom Ryan. A sleeping Giant. The local talent is there, but seems to leave the State all too often. Northwestern has actually recruited in State better than Illinois.
Maybe but isn't Champaign just a terrible college town compared to towns like Iowa City, Columbus, and State College? I mean normal college students flock from Ill to Iowa City.

Maybe but isn't Champaign just a terrible college town compared to towns like Iowa City, Columbus, and State College? I mean normal college students flock from Ill to Iowa City.
A lot of that has to do with the fact it's cheaper for a lot of kids to pay out of state tuition at Iowa or ISU than in state at Illinois with scholarships and stuff.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Besides being a hell of a wrestler ... he just seems like a great kid with a good head on his shoulders ... The future of Iowa wrestling is looking mighty bright!

A lot of that has to do with the fact it's cheaper for a lot of kids to pay out of state tuition at Iowa or ISU than in state at Illinois with scholarships and stuff.
Sorry, but out of state tuition and room and board at Iowa is around $38,000. In state at Illinois for the same is around $27,000 so it isn't the money. Living in Illinois what I hear is that there are 2 reasons why Illinois students go to Iowa. 1. they didn't get into the U of Illinois so they go to Iowa. 2. Champaign is kind if a dump and safety can be an issue.

Sorry, but out of state tuition and room and board at Iowa is around $38,000. In state at Illinois for the same is around $27,000 so it isn't the money. Living in Illinois what I hear is that there are 2 reasons why Illinois students go to Iowa. 1. they didn't get into the U of Illinois so they go to Iowa. 2. Champaign is kind if a dump and safety can be an issue.
I may have been told wrong, but friends of ours who live in Illinois and have kids looking at schools said in-state tuition at Illinois is, indeed, more than out-of-state tuition to Iowa. You may be right, but your numbers are very different from what I've been told.

That said, Illinois definitely has tougher admissions standards, so I'm sure some kids from Illinois who've attended Iowa weren't admitted to Illinois.

Reactions: UndercoverHawk
Of course. I was opining on how Heffernan can't let guys like Warner get out of State if he ever hopes to take Illinois to the next level. I know he is committed and already signed with the Hawks.
Fair enough. Couldn't read your mind there.

This is the data I am finding from their respective sites. Some other costs looks a little higher at Illinois, but I can't find anything too substantial (i'm looking at dorm costs, meal plans, various fees) to counteract the difference between In-State tuition at Illinois and Out of State at Iowa which is ~$11,000

In State tuition makes a big difference, that is why some people move to another State and establish residency prior to enrolling at a school. I wasn't on this board when Tony Ramos was coming up at Glenbard North, so I don't want to bring up a can of worms, but needless to say moving to establish residency requirements happens.

There is no question that Champaign is lacking compared to many of the College Towns in the Big Ten.

Plus, the wrestling facilities while large are certainly not nearly as flashy as the top programs. Ohio State's new 49 million dollar wrestling facility is set to open in June 2019 and while the competition arena is smaller (capacity: 3,700) it is certainly high end and many Bucknuts think it is the final piece that is going to make them a mainstay as a National Championship contender. Compare that to Illinois' Huff Hall's 4,500 capacity arena (Illinois has had one Dual in its history at Huff Hall which drew more than 2,500, Iowa in 2005) and practice room which is nearly a century old. It was refurbished in 1992, but the kids today love the bells and whistles. It simply isn't as nice as Penn State's Lorenzo Wrestling Facility which opened in 2006 and was already refurbished in 2016 and Rec Hall is of course a great home for a college dual, holding just under 7,000.

For comparison, Carver is obviously huge capacity wise and Iowa is very unique fanbase that every other program is jealous of (Yes, even PSU no matter what they say, half a decade of big crowds isn't the same thing as what Iowa has done). Plus, Gable wrestling facility was upgraded in 2011.

Facilities matter.

This is the data I am finding from their respective sites. Some other costs looks a little higher at Illinois, but I can't find anything too substantial (i'm looking at dorm costs, meal plans, various fees) to counteract the difference between In-State tuition at Illinois and Out of State at Iowa which is ~$11,000

In State tuition makes a big difference, that is why some people move to another State and establish residency prior to enrolling at a school. I wasn't on this board when Tony Ramos was coming up at Glenbard North, so I don't want to bring up a can of worms, but needless to say moving to establish residency requirements happens.

There is no question that Champaign is lacking compared to many of the College Towns in the Big Ten.

Plus, the wrestling facilities while large are certainly not nearly as flashy as the top programs. Ohio State's new 49 million dollar wrestling facility is set to open in June 2019 and while the competition arena is smaller (capacity: 3,700) it is certainly high end and many Bucknuts think it is the final piece that is going to make them a mainstay as a National Championship contender. Compare that to Illinois' Huff Hall's 4,500 capacity arena (Illinois has had one Dual in its history at Huff Hall which drew more than 2,500, Iowa in 2005) and practice room which is nearly a century old. It was refurbished in 1992, but the kids today love the bells and whistles. It simply isn't as nice as Penn State's Lorenzo Wrestling Facility which opened in 2006 and was already refurbished in 2016 and Rec Hall is of course a great home for a college dual, holding just under 7,000.

For comparison, Carver is obviously huge capacity wise and Iowa is very unique fanbase that every other program is jealous of (Yes, even PSU no matter what they say, half a decade of big crowds isn't the same thing as what Iowa has done). Plus, Gable wrestling facility was upgraded in 2011.

Facilities matter.
Tony Ramos moved to Iowa to establish residency? What am I missing here?

People from Illinois will tell you they go to state colleges in Iowa because it's cheaper because they don't want to admit they didn't get into Illinois and certainly wouldn't get into NW, which leaves ISU and NIU in state. Iowa has cheaper out of state tuition than surrounding states b cause Iowa has 3 fairly large state schools in ISU, UNI, and flagship Iowa. With a low population state and 3 large state colleges makes it important to get out of state interest. Illinois has much larger population so obviously not all can go to Illinois so many go to Iowa for the big ten school year xperience....it really comes down to simple math and the fact that Iowa City is pretty awesome

I am sure there are many that come to Iowa because they didn't get into Illinois, but there are many that come to Iowa because they just like Iowa better and/or the programs they offer are better for what they are majoring in. To say the only reason they come is because they couldn't get accepted into Illinois is total BS, plus Iowa does offer a multitude of academic scholly's to make the cost even closeremember to what it would cost to attend Illinois

Tony Ramos moved to Iowa to establish residency? What am I missing here?

It was a big debate around his Senior year about residency issues. I don't think he did anything controversial, just started the debate. I wasn't around here when Tony was still in High School, so I don't know if it was a topic here or not. It was where I was at the time. Some schools allow people to establish residency much easier than others.and as has been discussed tuition rates can vary greatly with that status.

Here is an example, I don't think this is a big deal, but here it is:

http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/2016/4/1/11343290/iowa-wrestling-recruiting-justin-stickley

"While Stickley is a graduating senior this spring, he won't actually be a member of Iowa's 2016 recruiting class. Stickley is moving to Iowa this year to establish residency so that he can claim in-state tuition, but he won't be enrolling at Iowa -- and joining the Iowa wrestling team -- until the 2017-18 season. So he's more accurately classified as a member of Iowa's 2017 recruiting class."

In Illinois this sort of thing was a hot button topic around Ramos' Senior year in High School. I never saw any issue.

Here is an example, I don't think this is a big deal, but here it is:

http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/2016/4/1/11343290/iowa-wrestling-recruiting-justin-stickley

"While Stickley is a graduating senior this spring, he won't actually be a member of Iowa's 2016 recruiting class. Stickley is moving to Iowa this year to establish residency so that he can claim in-state tuition, but he won't be enrolling at Iowa -- and joining the Iowa wrestling team -- until the 2017-18 season. So he's more accurately classified as a member of Iowa's 2017 recruiting class."

In Illinois this sort of thing was a hot button topic around Ramos' Senior year in High School. I never saw any issue.

So Stickley is Ramos..........What???

So Stickley is Ramos..........What???

No. How did you get that from what I posted? I was giving an example of what the debate centered on. Ramos' Senior year he or his father brought up the idea of moving for in State tuition and started a debate in Illinois on wrestling forums. Stickley is an example of what was debated. I don't know if anything was debated on here around that time or not as I wasn't on here at that time. That is why I said I didn't want to open a can of worms as Ramos didn't do anything wrong himself.

No. How did you get that from what I posted? I was giving an example of what the debate centered on. Ramos' Senior year he or his father brought up the idea of moving for in State tuition and started a debate in Illinois on wrestling forums. Stickley is an example of what was debated. I don't know if anything was debated on here around that time or not as I wasn't on here at that time. That is why I said I didn't want to open a can of worms as Ramos didn't do anything wrong himself.

Turn on your sarcasm detector.
wind14.gif

Debate of Ramos moving here was never on this forum IIRC. Until you started posting a lot of words. We get confused with a lot of words very easily you know. Stop confusing us.

Reactions: purescurve
Warner wins his 3rd state title with a TF in 5:26 over Hunter Crowley, Sr. (51-6) - MAHO

I am sure there are many that come to Iowa because they didn't get into Illinois, but there are many that come to Iowa because they just like Iowa better and/or the programs they offer are better for what they are majoring in. To say the only reason they come is because they couldn't get accepted into Illinois is total BS, plus Iowa does offer a multitude of academic scholly's to make the cost even closeremember to what it would cost to attend Illinois
FIBs

F'ing Illinois Bastards

You gave examples of something concerning Ramos that nobody here had ever heard of, then didn't explain it worth a shit (in other words, probably should have never brought it up................). In other words we are all wondering "what in the hell is he talking about", and several posts later you still hadn't gotten there.

Stickley most here know about, he is absolutely trying to establish residency. He also isn't at Tony Ramos level as a recruit, where that residency would really help. They are not intertwined in the least, unless you consider they are both Male, and they wrestle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT