ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Wrestling update

Todd Conner

HR MVP
Dec 23, 2004

It is great to be an Iowa Wrestling fan.

Go Hawks!

Go Hawks!
No sports cars in the Conner garage eh? Interesting……..

Todd- so at the moment, you dont have Kennedy in the lineup. Is he trying to get to 57 and do you think he would do well there?

Go Hawks!
Hi Todd, How many AAs do you see coming from the lineup you provided? I'm thinking 6 and 2 possibles, but would like to hear your thoughts? Also, based on what we know now across the wrestling landscape, where do you see this lineup finishing at NCAAs? Thank you my friend.

I'm really curious to see what a healthy - with time to get conditioned - VV can do.
Hopefully Block fully recovers from his ACL. If Anthony F is really gone for good, we better get looking for a good 157 now. I think they figured he would end up the 157 for the next 4 years. Block is tall enough to jump to 157 I guess, if we can get him in the PSU “lab”. This is assuming Caliendo can’t make the cut for the rest of his career.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
I view the OP lineup as a 2-4 place finish team. Holes at 133, 157 and Hwt. I think VV is the man at 149. Others don't but i love PK. Hope there's a place for him. His home is 165 but understand the issues there. At Hwt I don't see an AA. BH just isn't there yet and BK splitting time won't put him there either. In the good old days we expected someone to be an AA and hoped he would be on the stage Saturday night. Now we hope he can AA.

I view the OP lineup as a 2-4 place finish team. Holes at 133, 157 and Hwt. I think VV is the man at 149. Others don't but i love PK. Hope there's a place for him. His home is 165 but understand the issues there. At Hwt I don't see an AA. BH just isn't there yet and BK splitting time won't put him there either. In the good old days we expected someone to be an AA and hoped he would be on the stage Saturday night. Now we hope he can AA.
VV couldn't beat Rathjen, and he ain't beating Parco.

Depending on your definition of holes, we currently have holes at 25 or 33, 41, 57, 97, HWT (maybe).

Concur on most everything. Love PK but he just hasn’t been able to reach his potential…and I know there have been injuries. I was all in for PK until Caliendo handled him. PK has to really show the goods to win a spot.

Hopefully Block fully recovers from his ACL. If Anthony F is really gone for good, we better get looking for a good 157 now. I think they figured he would end up the 157 for the next 4 years. Block is tall enough to jump to 157 I guess, if we can get him in the PSU “lab”. This is assuming Caliendo can’t make the cut for the rest of his career.
I’m not so sure Anthony would beat Cobe. Cobe has gotten better every year. He is a full sized 157 pounder now. If he ends up being the guy I fully expect him to be a podium contender.

I’m not so sure Anthony would beat Cobe. Cobe has gotten better every year. He is a full sized 157 pounder now. If he ends up being the guy I fully expect him to be a podium contender.
From the limited times I saw Cobe wrestle he appears to have enough funk to beat about anyone. But he also seemed to be lacking in takedown defense against top 15-20 talent level and like many Hawks he didn’t bring a lot of offense to the table against top 20 type of guys. I love his funk but didn’t see enough offense and defense to make me believe he can make the podium. And to make a difference we need “the” guy at each weight; I don’t think works in progress will get us there no matter how much we like our guys.

Reactions: el dub
From the limited times I saw Cobe wrestle he appears to have enough funk to beat about anyone. But he also seemed to be lacking in takedown defense against top 15-20 talent level and like many Hawks he didn’t bring a lot of offense to the table against top 20 type of guys. I love his funk but didn’t see enough offense and defense to make me believe he can make the podium. And to make a difference we need “the” guy at each weight; I don’t think works in progress will get us there no matter how much we like our guys.
I think Kobe is remembered unkindly due to the shoulder injury he picked up at big tens just prior to Nats. The guy at Nats was not the same guy throughout the year. I think if he stays healthy, given that he is now a full sized 157, he’s passed the point of a work in progress and should make the podium. I’d put his ceiling between 5-8. Is he good enough to help us overtake psu? No, but there’s no one out there right now that is.

Both are true. What Nash said is still generally correct, as is this.
Sure he could beat Anthony right now because he has had 5-6 years in a high D1 program and he has had none, which gives him a much higher ceiling once he gets in the room. I seen a picture of him with Angelo recently on instagram, and he only looks alittle smaller than Angelo. If Brands hasn’t kicked him off the team officially, then he’s definitely challenging for 157, or maybe even trying to get up to 165 to take a shot at PK if he knows Caliendo is going 157. Once he figures out Colby’s funk, he should beat him. pK will be a tall order. Once he lost that SS final to Rathjen , who did his best wrestling of his career that day, Tom decided Rathjen was the man, and probably told Anthony to redshirt. Weather he found trouble last semester is unknown.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Sure he could beat Anthony right now because he has had 5-6 years in a high D1 program and he has had none, which gives him a much higher ceiling once he gets in the room. I seen a picture of him with Angelo recently on instagram, and he only looks alittle smaller than Angelo. If Brands hasn’t kicked him off the team officially, then he’s definitely challenging for 157, or maybe even trying to get up to 165 to take a shot at PK if he knows Caliendo is going 157. Once he figures out Colby’s funk, he should beat him. pK will be a tall order. Once he lost that SS final to Rathjen , who did his best wrestling of his career that day, Tom decided Rathjen was the man, and probably told Anthony to redshirt. Weather he found trouble last semester is unknown.
A lot of assumptions in this post. Anthony can’t come close too beating Cobe or Rathjen. He has no offense . He has a blast double leg and that is it. He was in the room for months before the the soldier salute, and was getting abused in the room daily. I don’t know what your obsession is with him, he is by far the least talented of the brothers, and not better than any of the guys at his weight in the room. Funny that you think it was a fluke that Rathjen beat him and VV . Who did the other two actually beat last year? Neither of them have any offense. Granted Anthony didn’t get a lot of matches, but VV had plenty of opportunities. He maybe had one takedown against a wrestler in the top 30 for the year. Look at the wins Rathjen had compared to VV. Could Rathjen have had a better post season, sure but it sure looked like after the knee injury against Wisconsin, he didn’t have the same power and ability to scramble. Rathjen earned the spot.

A lot of assumptions in this post. Anthony can’t come close too beating Cobe or Rathjen. He has no offense . He has a blast double leg and that is it. He was in the room for months before the the soldier salute, and was getting abused in the room daily. I don’t know what your obsession is with him, he is by far the least talented of the brothers, and not better than any of the guys at his weight in the room. Funny that you think it was a fluke that Rathjen beat him and VV . Who did the other two actually beat last year? Neither of them have any offense. Granted Anthony didn’t get a lot of matches, but VV had plenty of opportunities. He maybe had one takedown against a wrestler in the top 30 for the year. Look at the wins Rathjen had compared to VV. Could Rathjen have had a better post season, sure but it sure looked like after the knee injury against Wisconsin, he didn’t have the same power and ability to scramble. Rathjen earned the spot.
So you must be one of the coaches if your privileged to attend every or most practices. I didn’t think it was allowed to let guys not on the team, practice with the team. I know he was the lowest ranked Ferrari in his class, at # 14 pfp on flo. If he was practicing every day with the team, it wouldn’t surprise me if he was getting schooled in the fall by guys who have been in the room for several years. Angelo, although possibly the best of all of them, will get humbled next year also. Someone said Gabe was getting humbled by veterans like Nelson last year, doesn’t diminish his ceiling. Anthony did beat VV in a close match, and lost a close one to Rathjen in the finals of the SS, when Rathjen was on fire. He gave rathjen the last 3 point with a desperation dive at him. I would just like to see what he could develop into at a more appropriate weight like 157. He looked dangerously lean at 149.

I want Caliendo to go where he's best; he deserves it.
Why don't you believe it's Caliendo's choice to go to 157? If in fact he actually is. With Colby there it doesn't seem to be a "hole" in the line-up to where the coaches would be pushing for him to go down. I think it very well could be that Franek was always at that spot and now it is open for him.

Why don't you believe it's Caliendo's choice to go to 157? If in fact he actually is. With Colby there it doesn't seem to be a "hole" in the line-up to where the coaches would be pushing for him to go down. I think it very well could be that Franek was always at that spot and now it is open for him.
If MM drops down, I would stay put at 165.

If what I am hearing about all the movement around are true I would love for Cali to go down and PK go 165. 165 will look a lot different next year. Messinbrink to 157, OToole to 174. Facundo 165 and Haines 174.

Can’t imagine they would prefer Colby in the line up instead of PK, so tells me Caliendo doesn’t want that cut
Still several months out so I'm not sure how confident T8KUDWN can be. And I'm with you in that based on what I saw from Siebrecht in the past, I can't imagine he'll be in the lineup at all unless he's made vast improvements in both offense and defense. I love his funk but didn't see a whole lot otherwise. I'm not saying that it's not there; I just haven't seen it.

Reactions: el dub
Still several months out so I'm not sure how confident T8KUDWN can be. And I'm with you in that based on what I saw from Siebrecht in the past, I can't imagine he'll be in the lineup at all unless he's made vast improvements in both offense and defense. I love his funk but didn't see a whole lot otherwise. I'm not saying that it's not there; I just haven't seen it.
Even several months out I would hope guys making a significant cut or weight gain would know and start the process well in advance.
As far as Siebrecht; he had a couple pretty good wins when he seemed to be healthy and he was kind of a breath of fresh air watching him let it fly on the mat and wrestling like he had nothing to lose. Is he a sure thing AA? Definitely not but if he’s healthy and in the lineup it also wouldn’t surprise me if he did.

Even several months out I would hope guys making a significant cut or weight gain would know and start the process well in advance.
As far as Siebrecht; he had a couple pretty good wins when he seemed to be healthy and he was kind of a breath of fresh air watching him let it fly on the mat and wrestling like he had nothing to lose. Is he a sure thing AA? Definitely not but if he’s healthy and in the lineup it also wouldn’t surprise me if he did.
Do you think with a full season under his belt as a starter, other team will be able scout him better and prepare for the upper body stuff he won many matches with?

Concur. His funk is the unpredictable kind IMO. And while I love the funk I don’t think it’ll be enough to be “the” guy at 57 or elsewhere.
It could end up he is our only viable choice like the last time he was in the line up. If Caliendo doesn’t cut, I don’t see PK being able to do that cut and be effective, and I guess Anthony F is a no go to be on the team. Maybe VV, Rathjen try to beef up. Freshman from California in too short. Looks like Colby. Pray he stays healthy

Cobe is so dangerous and will be problems for 57 pounders next year, but they need to figure out how to not break him down, shorten his season or give him a pitch count or something and I think he places well if in peak form in March.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ibahwkfan
Flavor flav Am I missing an inside joke? Dudes name is Cobe
Our dearest poster grip spelled his name incorrectly three times in one post. So to honor him, I always spell it wrong. It’s my version of pouring one out for the homies.

It’s not quite what weight is Grothus gonna wrestle, 83%, or *** st, but I like it well enough.
Pouring Austin Powers GIF

I’m not saying that; I’m saying that Caliendo earned the spot at 65 and if that’s where he wants to go then that’s what should happen. At the end of the day I want the best 10 men on the mat…and I don’t care what their last name is as long as TNT determine they are our best option.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT