ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Wrestling update

Don’t know for sure how the lineup will shake out but IF Ayala goes back down to 125, Cali can make 157 and be what he was at 165 and Kueter wrestles the whole we could easily have 3 guy’s wrestling Saturday night. Remember 165 clears out a ton with everyone moving up to 174 I really think PK will surprise quite a few people. Has wins over Facundo and Amine and that is probably the 3 biggest names left. Curious to what Parco does in an Iowa Singlet. Nelson should be top 3. Gabe will have a tough road in front of him with all the big names moving up but I still have a lot of faith in him to find his way into the stand. Love Glazier and think he will be better this year. Biggest surprise of the year will be Block 141 better be ready he is going to come out firing on all cylinders. Should finish no worse than 3rd. Outside shot they win it but also chance of 4th or 5th. Right now I’ll say 3rd but potential is there to do more.

Hopefully Block fully recovers from his ACL. If Anthony F is really gone for good, we better get looking for a good 157 now. I think they figured he would end up the 157 for the next 4 years. Block is tall enough to jump to 157 I guess, if we can get him in the PSU “lab”. This is assuming Caliendo can’t make the cut for the rest of his career.
I heard there’s a better chance Ant’ney ends up in the clink than on the team. But you didn’t hear that from me…

Reactions: vhsalum
Don’t know for sure how the lineup will shake out but IF Ayala goes back down to 125, Cali can make 157 and be what he was at 165 and Kueter wrestles the whole we could easily have 3 guy’s wrestling Saturday night. Remember 165 clears out a ton with everyone moving up to 174 I really think PK will surprise quite a few people. Has wins over Facundo and Amine and that is probably the 3 biggest names left. Curious to what Parco does in an Iowa Singlet. Nelson should be top 3. Gabe will have a tough road in front of him with all the big names moving up but I still have a lot of faith in him to find his way into the stand. Love Glazier and think he will be better this year. Biggest surprise of the year will be Block 141 better be ready he is going to come out firing on all cylinders. Should finish no worse than 3rd. Outside shot they win it but also chance of 4th or 5th. Right now I’ll say 3rd but potential is there to do more.
I think Iowa finishes 2nd next year possibly 3rd.

Is it a given that Arnold can beat out PK at 174?
He beat him comfortably in the soldier salute at 174 last year. I think it was 3 takedowns to 0. Pk struggled to get to his legs.

Edit to add: as pointed out below my memory is off. It was Caliendo that beat PK comfortably.

Last edited:
Reactions: el dub and jack66
One thing to consider as well is with Taylor and his crew down in Stillwater now I think that puts a pretty big chink Karl and his kronies armor over in Happy Valley. With the transfers they got and a different style of coaching they could take out a few of thei guys as well. Going to be a fun year for sure.

• Haha
Reactions: Vic Vaselino
Does PK's freestyle results shock anyone?? Is he better at free style or has he figured it outta little more this year?

If what I am hearing about all the movement around are true I would love for Cali to go down and PK go 165. 165 will look a lot different next year. Messinbrink to 157, OToole to 174. Facundo 165 and Haines 174.
Facundo is wrestling 174, not guaranteed he wins the spot though. Not sure if Haines is redshirting, but I would be more than a little shocked if Mesenbrink cuts to 157.
Kasak at 157 is more likely, with MM or Haines at 165, Ryder, Facundo or MM at 174. Haines and Ryder are redshirt possibilities.

One thing to consider as well is with Taylor and his crew down in Stillwater now I think that puts a pretty big chink Karl and his kronies armor over in Happy Valley. With the transfers they got and a different style of coaching they could take out a few of thei guys as well. Going to be a fun year for sure.
Not sure what think or envision as far as OkieSt becoming a challenge for PSU but the more probable outcome is Taylor's Cowboys knocking a few Hawks down or off the podium. In a few years the OkieSt team will be a huge obstacle to Iowa's path to the 3rd place trophy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT