ADVERTISEMENT

Iowans can buy 'Don't Tread on Me' license plates to help fund NRA under House-passed bill

Not sure what's worse.. getting that license plate, or getting upset at seeing someone with that license plate

• Love
Reactions: NorthernHawkeye
Iowans could buy custom yellow "Don't Tread on Me" license plates under a bill that passed the Iowa House Wednesday.

The Iowa House voted 60-34 to pass House File 2639, which allows the Iowa Department of Transportation to issue custom Iowa license plates with the "Gadsden Flag," which was designed during the Revolutionary War in 1775 by Christopher Gadsden and was used by the Continental Marines.

The yellow flag depicts a coiled timber rattlesnake above the phrase "Don't Tread on Me."

The flag and its slogan are associated with individual liberty, limited government and gun rights. In recent years it has been a mainstay at conservative rallies and protests.

"I do want to just express my appreciation for giving the Gadsden Flag the respect it deserves as a symbol which memorializes our American history and the fight that we had to fight to get our liberty," said the bill's floor manager, Rep. Jeff Shipley, R-Birmingham.

POLITICS

Iowans can buy 'Don't Tread on Me' license plates to help fund NRA under House-passed bill​

Stephen Gruber-Miller
Des Moines Register

Iowans could buy custom yellow "Don't Tread on Me" license plates under a bill that passed the Iowa House Wednesday.
The Iowa House voted 60-34 to pass House File 2639, which allows the Iowa Department of Transportation to issue custom Iowa license plates with the "Gadsden Flag," which was designed during the Revolutionary War in 1775 by Christopher Gadsden and was used by the Continental Marines.
The yellow flag depicts a coiled timber rattlesnake above the phrase "Don't Tread on Me."
The flag and its slogan are associated with individual liberty, limited government and gun rights. In recent years it has been a mainstay at conservative rallies and protests.

"I do want to just express my appreciation for giving the Gadsden Flag the respect it deserves as a symbol which memorializes our American history and the fight that we had to fight to get our liberty," said the bill's floor manager, Rep. Jeff Shipley, R-Birmingham.
More:License plate spotting around Des Moines turning into a national phenomenon

The license plates would cost $50, and drivers would pay another annual $50 fee in addition to their normal annual registration fees. If a driver wants a personalized license plate, they would also pay an additional $25 fee and $5 more each year.
Leslie Corp holds up an American flag and the Gadsden flag while waiting outside of Roseburg Municipal Airport for President Barack Obama's arrival in Roseburg, Oregon, on Friday, Oct. 9, 2015. Gun-rights activists say they planned to protest potential gun restrictions when Obama visited. (AP Photo/Ryan Kang)'s arrival in Roseburg, Oregon, on Friday, Oct. 9, 2015. Gun-rights activists say they planned to protest potential gun restrictions when Obama visited. (AP Photo/Ryan Kang)

License plate fees would go to the NRA to educate about 'the right to keep and bear arms'​

The money from the fees would go to the Department of Public Safety, which would distribute it as grants to nonprofits to provide training on "the right to keep and bear arms." The department would have to give first preference for the grants to the National Rifle Association "and similar nonprofit organizations."

You bawling libs sure hate the freedom someone else paid for but that’s how it is with you….someone else always has to pay….

I don't care about the plates, but where the $ goes is a different story. How long until another group files a law suit against the state because they aren't allowed to sell a plates that funds their group?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT