ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa's Best Plays Against Penn State?

2D_

HB MVP
Apr 3, 2023
Looking back on it, Iowa has had a history of embarrassing Ped State. What are your favorite plays against them? Nico Ragaini catch? Adrian Clayborn blocked punt? Would love to see everyone's picks.

One of the most disrespectful things we've done to them is giving them 2 points in their own house because we knew they couldn't move the ball against us.

Timestamp of the play 9:37:

Also, what's "disrespectful" about trying to beat your opponent?
It's modern slang/terminology that has been popular in the sports vernacular over the past few decades, alluding to plays that seem either excessive or ill-mannered. Generally considered a positive thing for most, as you can find "Disrespectful Sports Moments" complications on YouTube. Similar to "getting dunked on", which is another popular phrase.

It's modern slang/terminology that has been popular in the sports vernacular over the past few decades, alluding to plays that seem either excessive or ill-mannered. Generally considered a positive thing for most, as you can find "Disrespectful Sports Moments" complications on YouTube. Similar to "getting dunked on", which is another popular phrase.
Oh, you mean like Franklin calling a punt block against the Akron Zips in the 4th quarter of a game they a 50 point lead in? Like that kind of disrespect? Kirk would never pull stunts like that. Hell he's had his QB take a knee inside the 2 yard line in the last 30 seconds rather the score again. Well, unless we're playing the gophs. I think he likes bending Fleck over....

Oh, you mean like Franklin calling a punt block against the Akron Zips in the 4th quarter of a game they a 50 point lead in? Like that kind of disrespect? Kirk would never pull stunts like that. Hell he's had his QB take a knee inside the 2 yard line in the last 30 seconds rather the score again. Well, unless we're playing the gophs. I think he likes bending Fleck over....
It may depend from person to person, that's more of just an asshole move. I'm talking more in lines of getting dunked on or a savage moment. The reason I put that in the title is to give everyone a wide range of plays to choose from rather than just a general "best plays". I hate Penn State, so I'd love to see plays that I may not have seen before.

This would be an example of one of the best plays, as it was so good, the official Big Ten channel uploaded the highlight years after the fact:

It may depend from person to person, that's more of just an asshole move. I'm talking more in lines of getting dunked on or a savage moment. The reason I put that in the title is to give everyone a wide range of plays to choose from rather than just a general "best plays". I hate Penn State, so I'd love to see plays that I may not have seen before.

This would be an example of one of the best plays, as it was so good, the official Big Ten channel uploaded the highlight years after the fact:
Okay. I doubt that anyone who read your thread title made a correlation between top plays and "disrespectful" ones. Seems like two totally different topics....

Reactions: eyesofhawk
Chuck Long to Ronnie Harmon 77-yard TD pass in the 4th quarter ices the game, as the Hawks prevail 42-34 over the defending national champions in 1983 at Happy Valley. IIRC, it was Harmon's first game at WR.

That throw and catch were unbelievable. Long was so poised in the pocket.

Wow, that third and goal at the 27 play was something else. Long was able to brush off a would-be tackler for a hell of a throw.

If Stanzi didn't get hurt and we won out, would be have ended up being the "Auburn" that year? I.E. the 3rd team with an undefeated record, but no spot to play for it all because of the BCS thing at the time. The 2 undefeated teams in front of us got more respect from the human polls, we got more love from the computers that year, if memory serves.

This is the top or tied for the top for me. The hawks were not favored, they were undefeated but it was still early in the season, the play totally turned the game around as PSU got out to the early 10-0 lead after their first two possessions but then the hawk defense, which was great in that year, started ripping the psu OLine, pressuring and making big plays.

Without this play the hawks do not have the big win streak, do not win the Orange Bowl for Kirk's only top tier bowl win. And of course this team was off to the races against jNW that year until Stanzi got hurt so they could have been in a Natty Champ game.

A forgotten one given how the second half of the season played out:

Goalline stand against PSU in Kinnick in 2010 (starts at 9:08).

Reactions: 2D_
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT