ADVERTISEMENT

Let's Un-Bunch Some Panties

Drinkin Buddy

All-Conference
Nov 5, 2015
Hiawatha
Always love it when the closer we get to gameday the more people's panties get bunched up. Quite predictable and provides much comic relief.

To help with the un-bunching process, allow me to give you a bit of a perspective on this game:

First, throw out the Indiana game results. That was a complete airshow, sans any real defense, with throwing windows as wide as garage door openings.

This is not going to be an air show in any way, shape or form. It's going to be a rock fight.

Second,, Illinois has played against two of the top 20 in total defenses, both at home, so far this year. Both big losses. #2 Penn State (31-13, and #17 Nebraska (20-7). So in two home games versus top defenses they have scored a total of 20 points.

Now we find Illinois (#78 total defense) going on the road to a hostile Kinnick Stadium to face the #8 defense in Iowa.

Third, let's zero in on the defense that most resembles Iowa's in terms of physicality (ROCK FIGHT!), and that is Nebraska. Penn State is young athletic as hell, but you may want to refer to their home game vs. Michigan where the Wolverines threw 0 passes and ran at them 37 times to win the game handily.

Nebraska passed for 154 yds (0 TD1 INT), ran for 158 yds (2 td, 2 fumbles lost), and held time of possession advantage of 37:17.
Illinois passed for 289 yards (1 TD, 1 INT), ran for 21 yds (0 td, 1 fumble lost) and had 22:53 TOP.

Nebraska won handily in Champaign despite losing the turnover battle 3-2.

4 team defensive comparison:

Total D: Neb #17, PSU #2, Iowa #8, Ill #78
Rush D: Neb #3 (9TD), PSU #2 (6TD), Iowa #23 (1 TD), Illinois #78 (15 TD)
Pass Eff: Neb #31 (13 TD), PSU #11 (7 TD), Iowa #4 (9 TD), Ill #64 (19 TD)

The loss of Cooper DeJean will not change Iowa's defensive scheme or efficiency, especially with Phil Parker running the show.

A few more data points that you may find interesting:

Points per Play: Iowa #3, 0.170. Illinois #71, 0.395
Opponent Punt per Game: Iowa #1, 7.0. Illinois #61, 4.3
Fewest Penalties: Iowa #2 (31 total, 266 yards). Illinois #109 (72 total, 686 yards)

Like I said earlier, this is going to be a Rock Fight in an extremely loud and hostile stadium, and I dare to say against the most physical team Illinois will have faced. In November, where Iowa has posted a 16-1 record the past 4 years. On Senior Day. With a B1g West title on the line.

So, iron your panties. Shoot your inner chicken little. Tell your "gut" to shut the hell up and embrace the HAWK ROCK FIGHT!

On Iowa! Go Hawks!

Last edited:
Always love it when the closer we get to gameday the more people's panties get bunched up. Quite predictable and provides much comic relief.

To help with the un-bunching process, allow me to give you a bit of a perspective on this game:

First, throw out the Indiana game results. That was a complete airshow, sans any real defense, with throwing windows as wide as garage door openings.

This is not going to be an air show in any way, shape or form. It's going to be a rock fight.

Second,, Illinois has played against two of the top 20 in total defenses, both at home, so far this year. Both big losses. #2 Penn State (31-13, and #17 Nebraska (20-7). So in two home games versus top defenses they have scored a total of 20 points.

Now we find Illinois (#78 total defense) going on the road to a hostile Kinnick Stadium to face the #8 defense in Iowa.

Third, let's zero in on the defense that most resembles Iowa's in terms of physicality (ROCK FIGHT!), and that is Nebraska. Penn State is young athletic as hell, but you may want to refer to their home game vs. Michigan where the Wolverines threw 0 passes and ran at them 37 times to win the game handily.

Nebraska passed for 154 yds (0 TD1 INT), ran for 158 yds (2 td, 2 fumbles lost), and held time of possession advantage of 37:17.
Illinois passed for 289 yards (1 TD, 1 INT), ran for 21 yds (0 td, 1 fumble lost) and had 22:53 TOP.

The loss of Cooper DeJean will not change Iowa's defensive scheme or efficiency, especially with Phil Parker running the show.

Fewest Penalties: Iowa #2 (31 total, 266 yards). Illinois #109 (72 total, 686 yards)

Like I said earlier, this is going to be a Rock Fight in an extremely loud and hostile stadium, and I dare to say against the most physical team Illinois will have faced. In November, where Iowa has posted a 16-1 record the past 4 years. On Senior Day. With a B1g West title on the line.

So, iron your panties. Shoot your inner chicken little. Tell your "gut" to shut the hell up and embrace the HAWK ROCK FIGHT!

On Iowa! Go Hawks!
I kind of agree!

maria bello panties GIF

Did someone say panties?

On Iowa! Go Hawks!
So you're tellin' us there's a chance.
lloyd-christmas.gif

On Iowa! Go Hawks!
Terrific effort...but I fell asleep midway through. From what I gather, your post reads a lot like posts I read prior to the Nebraska game last year. How'd that work out?

Anyway....I expect a victory. Go Hawks!

On Iowa! Go Hawks!
A very good set of data points. I believe the hawks should win a close game. But Illinois with Williams has the weapon to break a couple big pass plays while Iowa's defense could have a bad game that leads to a loss.

Iowa's defense is great when they do not give up the big plays. They are so sound that just getting yards is very difficult.

On Iowa! Go Hawks!
Unfortunately, you can't compare results vs. other teams. It doesn't translate to Saturday's game.

I do hope you're right, though.

On Iowa! Go Hawks!
Apparently, your panties were bunched about something, which led you to post this. Get out that ironing board.

On Iowa! Go Hawks!
i-feel-better-now-feeling-better.gif

I felt a lot more confident before Coop got hurt. Illinois is gonna throw the ball aggressively. I think we need more pressure on the QB.
The wild card is the Iowa offense. If last week was a glimpse of a real move forward...we could control the clock in classic KFz fashion. If that happens...we definitely win. What we can't have is a defense on the field nearly 40 minutes against a hot quarterback.

On Iowa! Go Hawks!
Great handle. I'll buy ya one or two.

On Iowa! Go Hawks!
Hopefully the offense doesn't decide to crash back to reality tomorrow.

Reactions: Drinkin Buddy

On Iowa! Go Hawks!
Great post!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT