• Recycle

Votes: 52 51.0%
  • Return for my nickel deposit

Votes: 43 42.2%

• Total voters

Hawk_4shur

HR Legend
Jan 2, 2009
I ran this poll on December 30, 2016 and again on July 26, 2021. I'll post the results of those polls later (Oh, the excitement!)

Curious to see if attitudes/habits have changed.

What about cashing in for scrap? Or does that count as recycle? The rate of return is significantly lower and I wouldnt make a special trip, but I crush mine and periodically take them in when I am cashing in other stuff. I do remodel work so I acquire a fair amount of copper, brass, and aluminum. It's not about getting money for them, it simply condenses space.

What about cashing in for scrap? Or does that count as recycle? The rate of return is significantly lower and I wouldnt make a special trip, but I crush mine and periodically take them in when I am cashing in other stuff. I do remodel work so I acquire a fair amount of copper, brass, and aluminum. It's not about getting money for them, it simply condenses space.
Judges say that counts as recycling.

judge-generic.jpeg

Litter them in Hy Vee and Fareway parking lots after their puppets in Des Moines repeal the bottle bill

Reactions: dgordo
We just donate them to the athletic boosters who use the money to buy uniforms/equipment for the sports teams.

Bag them up and drop them off in front of the brush dump where the collection point is.

Ditto, when the box is full I just throw the bag in my trunk and drop it at the Can Shed on the way home from work. $12 and a new bag to take home with me and it takes about one minute, so easy peasy.
Yep, when the kids were little they loved to feed the machines at Hy-Vee, but now that there are multiple locations for CanShed, that’s the answer.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
We have a new Droppett shed in town. It works great. You sign up online, get labels with a UPC code, stick them on your bags and scan the bag to open the deposit door. Then in a week or so the money gets added to your Droppett account which can then be direct deposited to your bank account or donated to one of the charities that has signed up with them.

We have a new Droppett shed in town. It works great. You sign up online, get labels with a UPC code, stick them on your bags and scan the bag to open the deposit door. Then in a week or so the money gets added to your Droppett account which can then be direct deposited to your bank account or donated to one of the charities that has signed up with them.

That makes me nervous. One breach to Droppett and the bad guys have your bank account information.

Results from previous polls on this subject.

December 30, 2016 (124 votes):

Trash 14.5%
Recycle 27.4%
Nickel 58.1%

July 26, 2021 (97 votes):

Trash 10.3%
Recycle 47.4%
Nickel 42.3%

Poll results through September 14, 2023 (92 votes):

Trash 5.4%
Recycle 52.2%
Nickel 42.4%

% throwing in the trash only about 1/3 vs. a little over 7 years ago. About 1/2 of what it was 2 years ago.

Progress!

Thanks for playing.

Ditto, when the box is full I just throw the bag in my trunk and drop it at the Can Shed on the way home from work. $12 and a new bag to take home with me and it takes about one minute, so easy peasy.
I do the same but ending up taking 2-3 bags at a time typically.

I usually take them to can shed or donate. We don’t go through enough cans to really make much of a difference. Keep the $10-12 in the car for change.

If they get rid of it, will probably recycle. But if the recycle bin is already full….at the slow rate I use cans….I won’t think twice about throwing them away.

And I know in a lot of other states that is what happens, they’re going to be everywhere if this goes away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT