ADVERTISEMENT

IRS reports collecting $1 billion from rich households’ back taxes

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
The IRS reported Wednesday that it has collected $1 billion in taxes and penalties owed by hundreds of wealthy households who accumulated past-due tax debts for years while IRS enforcement dwindled.
“The tax bill wasn’t even in dispute — the taxes were clearly owed by these people,” IRS Commissioner Danny Werfel said in a call with reporters. “But we didn’t have the people or the resources. … It takes time and staffing to work through these cases.”

Get a curated selection of 10 of our best stories in your inbox every weekend.

The tax agency, boosted by $60 billion in additional funding from the 2022 Inflation Reduction Act, has hired hundreds of skilled accountants over the past year and a half after years of shrinking staffing. Some of them have focused their efforts on specific groups of tax delinquents, including a group of 1,600 households with annual incomes above $1 million who were all known to owe at least $250,000 in back taxes, based on their previous tax returns. Facing understaffing in the past, IRS leaders admit, their agents simply didn’t try to collect these taxes for years.

The new enforcement campaign started last year with letters to at least 1,500 people in the target group, reminding them what they owed, Werfel said. About 100 of them paid a total of $100 million in taxes, interest and penalties in the first month or so, Werfel said.

Others took much more effort, and in some cases, levies on the taxpayers’ assets to collect the money. Werfel described months of letters back and forth between the IRS’s new agents and the millionaires’ accountants and lawyers.

The push that IRS officials described this week targeted people who filed tax returns but hadn’t paid. The agency is also pursuing a far larger group: wealthy people who haven’t filed returns at all.

The IRS stopped sending letters reminding people that they hadn’t filed in 2017. It resumed the practice this year, notifying as many as 25,000 people who formerly reported annual income above $1 million, as well as up to 100,000 people whose income was above $400,000 a year, that they had skipped filing in one or more recent years.

Werfel said the agency would likely report in the fall how much money those letters have brought in.
“When the IRS is not meeting its mandate and responsibility to enforce the tax laws, [it] creates an atmosphere where an increasing number of people believe they can not file or not pay their taxes,” Werfel said. “Announcements like this where we indicate that we are actively working to identify non-filers and delinquent taxpayers … puts other taxpayers on notice.”

just another $33,999,000,000,000

Needs to be found.
Happy Summer GIF by Learner Circle

I know a lady in my small town that probably owes a good $150k of tax.

She's not rich either.

Just hasn't filed a return in several years and has a decent amount of passive income.

She's been getting IRS notices and she just ignores them.

It's not just "rich" people.

People on both sides of the aisle, no matter the income level cheat on their taxes.

I really don't have a problem with the tax code, I just want everyone to PAY what they OWE.

As of March 31, 2024, the IRS has spent $5.7 billion of its $57.8 billion in IRA funds.

$5.7 billion spent so far to recoup $1 billion.

Financial genius!
So you were wrong and they've ALREADY recovered over a billion from accounts where what was owed wasn't even in doubt. But YOU think they're done for the year. And, somehow, you think they have to keep spending that money on the people and infrastructure they already paid for with the money they already spent? You truly are a special kind of dumbass here. You should stop.

There also seems to be an assumption that all the money was spent only on collecting overdue taxes from wealthy scofflaws.

Too lazy to look it up, but that's almost certainly quite wrong.
Here's how the outstanding unpaid taxes break down...

1280px-20220826_Share_of_unpaid_taxes%2C_by_income_level_-_area_chart%2C_treemap_-_NYTimes_-_Dept_of_Treasury.svg.png

Collect half of what the top 1% owes over the next ten years and anything over that is gravy.

There also seems to be an assumption that all the money was spent only on collecting overdue taxes from wealthy scofflaws.

Too lazy to look it up, but that's almost certainly quite wrong.

Yeah, to send out 1500 notices probably took one programmer one day. This whole effort might have cost $50K

Here's how the outstanding unpaid taxes break down...

1280px-20220826_Share_of_unpaid_taxes%2C_by_income_level_-_area_chart%2C_treemap_-_NYTimes_-_Dept_of_Treasury.svg.png

Collect half of what the top 1% owes over the next ten years and anything over that is gravy.
So . . . more than half of the unpaid taxes are owed by the top 5% . I'm assuming the $307 billion includes the share owed by the top 1%. If not, then the top 5% inclusive owes 78%.

It’s an interesting take that you guys have with this. Should we simply stop trying to collect just because it cost money?
I would say you close loopholes and figure out ways to collect taxes at their source.

It’s income or gains so some transaction triggered it. This isn’t money in a Mason Jar.

Reactions: FormerlyCyberCy
The IRS reported Wednesday that it has collected $1 billion in taxes and penalties owed by hundreds of wealthy households who accumulated past-due tax debts for years while IRS enforcement dwindled.
“The tax bill wasn’t even in dispute — the taxes were clearly owed by these people,” IRS Commissioner Danny Werfel said in a call with reporters. “But we didn’t have the people or the resources. … It takes time and staffing to work through these cases.”

The tax agency, boosted by $60 billion in additional funding from the 2022 Inflation Reduction Act, has hired hundreds of skilled accountants over the past year and a half after years of shrinking staffing. Some of them have focused their efforts on specific groups of tax delinquents, including a group of 1,600 households with annual incomes above $1 million who were all known to owe at least $250,000 in back taxes, based on their previous tax returns. Facing understaffing in the past, IRS leaders admit, their agents simply didn’t try to collect these taxes for years.

The new enforcement campaign started last year with letters to at least 1,500 people in the target group, reminding them what they owed, Werfel said. About 100 of them paid a total of $100 million in taxes, interest and penalties in the first month or so, Werfel said.

Others took much more effort, and in some cases, levies on the taxpayers’ assets to collect the money. Werfel described months of letters back and forth between the IRS’s new agents and the millionaires’ accountants and lawyers.

The push that IRS officials described this week targeted people who filed tax returns but hadn’t paid. The agency is also pursuing a far larger group: wealthy people who haven’t filed returns at all.

The IRS stopped sending letters reminding people that they hadn’t filed in 2017. It resumed the practice this year, notifying as many as 25,000 people who formerly reported annual income above $1 million, as well as up to 100,000 people whose income was above $400,000 a year, that they had skipped filing in one or more recent years.

Werfel said the agency would likely report in the fall how much money those letters have brought in.
“When the IRS is not meeting its mandate and responsibility to enforce the tax laws, [it] creates an atmosphere where an increasing number of people believe they can not file or not pay their taxes,” Werfel said. “Announcements like this where we indicate that we are actively working to identify non-filers and delinquent taxpayers … puts other taxpayers on notice.”

So, we hire hundreds of new employees with $60 billion sent there way and we get $1 billion back in tax revenue. Seems logical. That doesn’t seem to be good math.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
The tax agency, boosted by $60 billion in additional funding from the 2022 Inflation Reduction Act, has hired hundreds of skilled accountants over the past year and a half after years of shrinking staffing. Some of them have focused their efforts on specific groups of tax delinquents, including a group of 1,600 households with annual incomes above $1 million who were all known to owe at least $250,000 in back taxes, based on their previous tax returns.

Who reads this paragraph and concludes that the IRS spent all $60B hiring hundreds of skilled accountants and it took all $60B to recover $1B? Seriously? No one with an iota of grey matter can read that paragraph and reach such a conclusion.

Here's the lunacy. "Hundreds of skilled accountant hired." The word used is "hundreds." Not "one thousand," not "over one thousand," or "thousands."

That means, at most, 999 "skilled" accountants would've beed added. If $60B was spent on 999 "skilled" accountants, each of those accounts would've been paid $60,060,060.06 for their work.

Seriously . . . who truly believes that?

The paragraph also states "some of them" focused efforts an a group of high-income households who were "known" to owe at least $250K in back taxes. "Some," not "all."

Stunning to me that anyone has a problem with this. Absolutely stunning.

I've written it before and I'll write it again. There is a segment of our society who want to demonize those who cheat our system's social welfare programs who also lionize those who thumb their nose at the IRS and refuse to pay what they are obligated to pay. Total hypocrites.

The tax agency, boosted by $60 billion in additional funding from the 2022 Inflation Reduction Act

Spent $60 billion to recover an additional $1 billion?

Financial genius!
You're a moron. That $60B is over 10 years, I believe, and it goes toward more than just recovering taxes from deadbeats. It is investing in upgrades to antiquated systems, replacing employees who will leave and/or retire and a multitude of other necessary improvements that have been ignored for decades. Getting payback, like this, is but one of the many benefits.

But there are those like you who don't want the people stealing our tax dollars from the treasury. I wonder why?

Wait…I thought Ted Cruz said they were coming after me??

You're a moron. That $60B is over 10 years, I believe, and it goes toward more than just recovering taxes from deadbeats. It is investing in upgrades to antiquated systems, replacing employees who will leave and/or retire and a multitude of other necessary improvements that have been ignored for decades. Getting payback, like this, is but one of the many benefits.

But there are those like you who don't want the people stealing our tax dollars from the treasury. I wonder why?
With him, all roads lead back to Putin.

What you apparently fail to comprehend is future collections or those tax cheats that will be hesitant to be "creative" when they file.

You know...deter!
Give 60 billion get 1 billion back. That is a hell of a time frame. It won’t pay for itself.

• Haha
The Radical Right wants less effort from the IRS for the obvious reasons.
You're goddamn right I do.

Elon Musk does more good for society creating satellite based internet than anything the government would do with his wealth if they seized it.

Government already spends over 1/3 of what society creates annually, and for the Radical Left it's never enough.
Always the government must seize more for the bureaucracy to dole out. Always.

By my calculations that $1B would fund Federal spending for less than 2 hours. Yawn. We should just go to a flat tax if we want to end cheating and loopholes. Politicians would have the most to lose under this scenario though.

Reactions: Section25
By my calculations that $1B would fund Federal spending for less than 2 hours. Yawn. We should just go to a flat tax if we want to end cheating and loopholes. Politicians would have the most to lose under this scenario though.
Would you support a flat tax that covered all income, earned and unearned. No matter what. No deductions. At all. For instance, no offsetting gains with losses. No offsetting personal income with capital losses. No depreciation deductions. No deductions from 1099 income. Social security taxed. Disability taxed. Charitable deductions taxed. Church income taxed.

Of course you don’t. I’m not sure anyone really does. If you don’t support limiting all those deductions, you don’t want a flat tax. You want a non progressive tax that favors no one except high earners.

Lol....one constant, MAGA is going to moron
if there is a time that evidence shows that we are going to bring in more money than what is being spent, I am ok with that. Looking at at total of 60 Billion being sent there way and 5.7 billion being used this year to recoup 1 billion, I am not sure why that makes me a moron. It’s another issue of Government overspending.

• Haha
if there is a time that evidence shows that we are going to bring in more money than what is being spent, I am ok with that. Looking at at total of 60 Billion being sent there way and 5.7 billion being used this year to recoup 1 billion, I am not sure why that makes me a moron. It’s another issue of Government overspending.

Lol, moot

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT