ADVERTISEMENT

Is anything in your house using an extension cord right now?

• Yes

Votes: 34 65.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • I'm not like that

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Racist

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

Colonoscopy

HR Legend
Feb 20, 2022
Saint Louis, Mo

My old man almost burned down our place by leaving one in the shed that ran into the garage.

No. I remember a story on the news in the 90s about a house burning down and killing some kids because they had their Nintendo plugged into an extension cord and things went bad. I was just a kid then but I remember it. Use an UPS or a surge protector.

I'm running a bass amp off of a 12 gauge one right now. I also have an air compressor plugged into one. I unplug them sometimes. They don't worry me if they have a decent gauge and aren't super long.

OP's Mom's sybian needs the surge protector and a backup generator. But no extension cords.

There's a backup generator?

That bitch makes me hop on the bike when she blows a fuse.

bicycle-generator-generator.gif

Had an uncle that was a painter for years. He had drop cords to plug in lights for job sites. He used to put duct tape around them at a couple of different spots. I asked him why he used crappy extension cords once while he was painting my house. He said they were fine, he put the tape on them so other guys on the jobs would think they were junk and not steal them. Not sure why this thread made me think of that. csb/

Had an uncle that was a painter for years. He had drop cords to plug in lights for job sites. He used to put duct tape around them at a couple of different spots. I asked him why he used crappy extension cords once while he was painting my house. He said they were fine, he put the tape on them so other guys on the jobs would think they were junk and not steal them. Not sure why this thread made me think of that. csb/
Kind of the way I rub my penis all over the bagels at work so others will stay away.

Reactions: JustSayOV and Moral
Just the fridge and TV. Old man next door is 90 and never goes outside, so I dug a little trench to his exterior outlets on the west wall and plugged in two drop cords. His kids don't even notice when they come over to mow and do maintenance.
There was a good reddit thread on r/homeowners not too long ago where someone posted a pic of a bright orange extension running from their backyard to the neighbors house and was like "New homeowner, is this normal? Neighbors saying old owner said it was okay." And they were running an extension to power their window air unit.

If I ever saw that, i'd cut that shit with a heavy snips.

Reactions: Moral
Shit...I have an Army of extension cords.

Someday I will get more sockets...but i have one wall that has 6 sockets....I have at least 30 things that need power on that wall

Reactions: bagdropper
Yea...that's about right :)

I actually have a few banks of good surge protectors that should flip off if there is an issue.

Also everything is low power use. TVs, computers, stereo equipment, Blu Ray, cameras...etc. Lots of low power stuff that actually needs a USB plug.

Was thinking everything not plugged into an outlet was plugged into a surge protector but actually thinking about it, do have one thing on an extension cord, a reclining sectional in the basement that is powered off one. Outlet along the well was too far for the plug from the sectional. Damn it, never really gave that a second thought until seeing this thread. I probably meant to get a surge protector with a long cord to place under it but forgot.

Only use extension cords when required - basically the few remaining power tools that I haven’t converted yet to 20V. If I need an outlet somewhere, I wire one.

There was a good reddit thread on r/homeowners not too long ago where someone posted a pic of a bright orange extension running from their backyard to the neighbors house and was like "New homeowner, is this normal? Neighbors saying old owner said it was okay." And they were running an extension to power their window air unit.

If I ever saw that, i'd cut that shit with a heavy snips.

Be sure to unplug it first.

Louie_the_Lightning_Bug.png

Was thinking everything not plugged into an outlet was plugged into a surge protector but actually thinking about it, do have one thing on an extension cord, a reclining sectional in the basement that is powered off one. Outlet along the well was too far for the plug from the sectional. Damn it, never really gave that a second thought until seeing this thread. I probably meant to get a surge protector with a long cord to place under it but forgot.

Depending on the amperage of the recliner you may not want a surge protector. Extension cords aren't all that dangerous. Most of the fires you hear about with them are because people have a ton of amps pulling across the shittiest extension cord they could find at dollar general. If you snagged a single 5 or 10 foot 12 or 14 gauge cable I can't imagine the draw of the recliner ever being enough to cook the copper and light up the plastic and start a fire.

Depending on the amperage of the recliner you may not want a surge protector. Extension cords aren't all that dangerous. Most of the fires you hear about with them are because people have a ton of amps pulling across the shittiest extension cord they could find at dollar general. If you snagged a single 5 or 10 foot 12 or 14 gauge cable I can't imagine the draw of the recliner ever being enough to cook the copper and light up the plastic and start a fire.
What if you just fart too hot and your stinktrons have a chemical combustion with the faux leather material?

Reactions: Moral
What you doing this weekend?

😀

Basic electrical is one of those things that once you're taught - you're like, awww shit! This is easy! Hardest part of any rewire job is the drywall but if you're sneaky and have the right tools you can get a lot of shit done without poking too many holes. I will say, the summer I spent finishing drywall has paid off in more ways than I could imagine over the years of home ownership.

Basic electrical is one of those things that once you're taught - you're like, awww shit! This is easy! Hardest part of any rewire job is the drywall but if you're sneaky and have the right tools you can get a lot of shit done without poking too many holes. I will say, the summer I spent finishing drywall has paid off in more ways than I could imagine over the years of home ownership.

Live look into @Hawki97 house

socket-house.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT