ADVERTISEMENT

Is Iowa's path to the playoff potentially becoming clear?

How are you going to put Ohio State in after they lost to the team Iowa just beat one week ago? If they were undefeated, I would maybe see your point if they had one-loss, but they also dropped that early game to Oregon? I could also maybe see your point if they had lost to Michigan in September, but when the committee starts to make these decisions, that game will have been eight days ago.

It's a similar argument with Alabama. If they hadn't already dropped a game, I would agree, but this will be their second loss, one that I stipulated MUST be a blowout. How are you going to give a team that just had a blowout loss in the conference championship a rematch with the same team in the next game? How is that fair to Georgia?

I also agreed and said Notre Dame was going to get in over Iowa and that's fine because they can with Iowa still getting a spot.

I understand where you're coming from and agree all those teams are probably better than Iowa, but the games HAVE TO MATTER. You can't just handwave all these teams that wouldn't have put themselves in a better position than Iowa. If a two-loss Alabama or two-loss Ohio State gets in over Iowa, they might as well just have a committee watch practices and decide who the best teams are without playing any games.
All games matter, including the ones where Iowa got blown out by 2 teams with 4 losses. You cant cherry pick which games matter

No one from outside the top 6 in the last rankings before conference championship weekend has ever made into the top 4 in the history of the CFP. Yet we're thinking Iowa will jump from 13th with a win?

People always put too much emphasis on the conference title.
No, they don't. College football puts too little emphasis on conference titles. To have a four-team "playoff" in a five power conference sport would be like not letting the winner of the NL East into the MLB playoffs because it was baseball's weakest division. But that winner, the Braves, just won the World Series.

We have to have AT LEAST an 8-team playoff, and I'd prefer 12. No other division of college football has fewer than 24 teams in its playoffs. But in the top division, let's make it as political as possible and only let the super elites in. That's BS.

Hey, if Iowa had played Tulsa and Temple instead of Purdue and Wisconsin they just might be undefeated, just like Cincy. So win or lose, don't tell me Cincy is one of the best four teams in college football. It's not true, based on the evidence on the field.

I think the chances of Iowa making the playoff < 1%. It is interesting that you could make a ton of arguments if 2/3/4 all lose

ND over Cincinnati?
Ohio State move up after not winning division?
Michigan stays in top 4?

it would be nuts any way you slice it

If Alabama loses, there is no way the committee can put them in the CFP. They would at best be the #4 and Georgia would be the #1 so it’d be a rematch. Why would they do that when the teams just played?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT