ADVERTISEMENT

Is it offensive for a white male manager to call other men, "buddy" (especially his black subordinate)? What if I told you this was in Georgia?

The Tradition

HB King
Apr 23, 2002
We just received an EEOC charge of discrimination where the black worker is accusing his boss of harassment for calling him, "buddy" instead of by his name.

What's your ruling, HBOT?

• Wow
Reactions: h-hawk
Buddy is generally disrespectful, yes. Not racist though.
I’m with ya. If you are not genuinely a friend of your boss, he should not be referring to you as “buddy.” I think it could fall under harassment, especially if the boss is purposefully not addressing you as requested. As far as black/white/racist, I’ve never made such an association but idk.

I’m with ya. If you are not genuinely a friend of your boss, he should not be referring to you as “buddy.” I think it could fall under harassment, especially if the boss is purposefully not addressing you as requested. As far as black/white/racist, I’ve never made such an association but idk.
Yeah its condescending if you're not actually friends. IMO

Buddy is generally disrespectful, yes. Not racist though.

burt-the-bandit.jpg

I would think a "boss" should be competent enough to call his subordinates by their name. I doubt that any disrespect was ever intended - but if you can't be bothered to use their name, that is disrespectful.

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
Even if true that's not a purview for an EEO claim.

I would think a "boss" should be competent enough to call his subordinates by their name. I doubt that any disrespect was ever intended - but if you can't be bothered to use their name, that is disrespectful.
I’d need more context here. On its own, while I’ve never really referred to anyone as “buddy”, and wouldn’t consider it harassment on its face, I could potentially see it as an issue if it was prolonged, the employee had repeatedly asked them to stop, the manner/situations the manager keeps calling the employee buddy, etc.

If nothing else, definitely on the weird side of things imo.

This is what happens when you fill a workplace with crackers.

I’d need more context here. On its own, while I’ve never really referred to anyone as “buddy”, and wouldn’t consider it harassment on its face, I could potentially see it as an issue if it was prolonged, the employee had repeatedly asked them to stop, the manner/situations the manager keeps calling the employee buddy, etc.

If nothing else, definitely on the weird side of things imo.
Y’all ain’t never been to South Georgia and it shows.

Buddy is actually a Southern small town colloquial name and is most certainly NOT a demeaning or racist term. Very commonly used to greet another man - “Hey Buddy how you doin’?
Thanks ma’am.

It is unprofessional for sure. It would be interesting to find out if he referred to others by this, or just the minority person.

I was wondering the same thing. “Everybody else it’s ’hey Steve’ or ‘hey Christine’ but with me it’s always “whatcha working on, buddy?”

Context would help vs just trying to determine if the word buddy is discriminatory by itself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT