ADVERTISEMENT

Is It Too Late for Democrats to Replace Biden?

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
According to a headline I just saw, calls are rising within Democratic circles for Biden to step aside.

I think it's also pretty clear that Democrats aren't terribly happy with the prospect of running Kamala Harris at the top of the ticket.

Finally, it seems obvious that a ticket like Newsom/Whitmer could energize D voters and would do well against the Trump juggernaut. Win? Who knows? But do better.

The ball is in the Dems' court. The clock is ticking. What will they do?

According to a headline I just saw, calls are rising within Democratic circles for Biden to step aside.

I think it's also pretty clear that Democrats aren't terribly happy with the prospect of running Kamala Harris at the top of the ticket.

Finally, it seems obvious that a ticket like Newsom/Whitmer could energize D voters and would do well against the Trump juggernaut. Win? Who knows? But do better.

Why is it too late if it is prior to the actual awarding of the nomination?
The party has ballot access. Who they put on the ballot is in the end the decision of the party and no one else, right?

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
If Biden stepped aside i don’t see how the replacement could be anyone but Kamala at this point.

But it’s a moot point because he ain’t stepping aside.
It would be a bad look. Especially if they ended up without a woman or person of color on the ticket.

But if Biden is going to lose - and that's looking more and more likely - then what choice do they have.

Dems aren't known for being brave, but they need to step up - for America and the world.

If there's no way to ease Harris out of the picture, then Biden needs to resign NOW. That will give Kamala time to be President and to look presidential - if she can.

Look, none of this is fair to Biden, who has been a decent President, imo. If he's on the ticket in November, I'll almost certainly vote for him. But that's not the best outcome. And time is running short to make a change that can succeed.

And all that does is practically ensure a Trump presidency. The only question Manchin and Romney would have to answer is "Is that what you want?"
Probably.

I wonder how the Green Party would do against 2 Republican tickets and a moribund Dem party? Wouldn't win, of course, but could get more attention than it's had since Nader was their candidate.

It’s not too late. Humphrey didn’t enter the 1968 race until LBJ dropped out in March. But I don’t think it will happen.

It remains my hope that Trump has a grabber and either Larry Hogan or Charlie Baker enters the race. The former is a very real possibility but the latter is just a pipe dream.

I've been told it's too late and that a vegetable is "getting it done" and better than Trump. I've also been told people would vote for my lawn guy over Trump, so it doesn't matter who the Dems put forward, they will vote for whoever it is as long as it isn't Trump.

Why is it too late if it is prior to the actual awarding of the nomination?
The party has ballot access. Who they put on the ballot is in the end the decision of the party and no one else, right?
You're right, of course, but I meant too late to be effective.

If/when it happens, there will be a huge scramble in the Dem party and the media. Best to get that out of the way as soon as possible.

Or . . . is that actually true? Maybe the latest possible change would work better. Ride the burst of excitement and attention.

Personally, though, I'd like to see some actual primary races on the Dem side to test the potential candidates. If nothing else to let Harris prove she isn't as bad as she seems, and see who else in interested.

A few from 2020 might want to compete against Newsom and Whitmer. Amy, Pete, Cory Booker, who else? Maybe even Manchin - who has almost but not quite ruled out running on No Labels.

Look, none of this is fair to Biden, who has been a decent President, imo.
I agree that he’s done a decent job so far after three years. But that doesn’t automatically mean he’s fit to serve five more.

Lebron James has been one of the greatest players in NBA history. But would you give
him a 5-year supermax contract right now?

LOL. No surprise there. But what if Romney declines, as I would expect him to do. Would you vote for Manchin.

Who could the No Labels folks put up that you would like and who would have reasonably broad appeal?
Over Biden or Trump? Over Biden no. Over Trump, duh.

The problem for democrats is that Harris wants the position and there's nothing they can realistically offer her that she'd want more than being president. Most people can't stand her though and she presents herself poorly.
I don’t think her elevation to the top hurts Trump. Unless he does his usual stupid off the cuff crap where he goes misogynistic like he did with Carly Fiorina.
Which is likely.
I agree that a Newsom/Whitmer ticket might be problematic for Trump.

I'm not sure Newsom would do better than leaving Biden on there. It's REAL easy to point to problems/policy issues in CA, blame them on Newsom, and warn people that they don't want that nationwide.

LOL. No surprise there. But what if Romney declines, as I would expect him to do. Would you vote for Manchin.

Who could the No Labels folks put up that you would like and who would have reasonably broad appeal?
No surprise there? Go on. Anyway, the candidate from yesteryear who I wish would have gained traction but didn't was Kasich.

No, to be clear, calls among Republicans are rising for Biden to step aside. Maybe some pro-Palestinian lefties but they've been doing that for months now.

These are the types of arguments you raise when you know there is no way in hell that your candidate is going to win the next election. Since Republicans are worthless and for some reason can't get rid of their own shitty soon to be felon candidate they have to hope their opposition pulls a Dan Campbell and intentionally passes on winning moves and does something stupid to lose.

If I could dial up a time machine and make it legal, I would vote Bill Clinton in a heartbeat. I would also vote for McCain and Barack. Hell, I would take W in a heartbeat over Trump.
W is a close call.

As bad as Trump is, he hasn't yet been as bad as W. Trump hasn't yet crashed the economy. And he didn't lie us into a criminal war. But he has lied American into terminal impotence on climate change. And the other 2 are well within reach if he's reelected.

Which is to say that Trump could easily be worse than W in Trump's 2nd term.

America would have to be nuts to give Trump the opportunity to be worse than W. But we probably will be that nuts.

Popcorn.

You're right, of course, but I meant too late to be effective.

If/when it happens, there will be a huge scramble in the Dem party and the media. Best to get that out of the way as soon as possible.

Or . . . is that actually true? Maybe the latest possible change would work better. Ride the burst of excitement and attention.

Personally, though, I'd like to see some actual primary races on the Dem side to test the potential candidates. If nothing else to let Harris prove she isn't as bad as she seems, and see who else in interested.

A few from 2020 might want to compete against Newsom and Whitmer. Amy, Pete, Cory Booker, who else? Maybe even Manchin - who has almost but not quite ruled out running on No Labels.
Newsom has been campaigning for over a year now.

I'm not sure Newsom would do better than leaving Biden on there. It's REAL easy to point to problems/policy issues in CA, blame them on Newsom, and warn people that they don't want that nationwide.
If the House/Senate both flip to R he’d have to learn pretty quickly about how to govern without a super Dem majority like he has now.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Just so I understand...you think that Biden is a sure loser in November and that a Newsome/Whitmer ticket would do better than Biden, but could still lose?

I would vote for a Manchin/Romney or Romney/Manchin.
They’re not kids but they still have most of their wits about them. That automatically makes them a better ticket than what it looks like now, which is scary.
I feel like Romney is one of the dwindling number of national brand GOP members who gets it. He gets civility and how the process works, and our role as a leader in the free world. I do not agree with a lot of his stances or positions, but I believe he would do his best to do his best, and what he believes is the best for the country.

If the House/Senate both flip to R he’d have to learn pretty quickly about how to govern without a super Dem majority like he has now.
It is highly unlikely both will flip R. In fact, given the redistricting in New York and Wisconsin and other states, Democrats actually have a better shot at running the House.

Reactions: MitchLL
No, to be clear, calls among Republicans are rising for Biden to step aside. Maybe some pro-Palestinian lefties but they've been doing that for months now.

These are the types of arguments you raise when you know there is no way in hell that your candidate is going to win the next election. Since Republicans are worthless and for some reason can't get rid of their own shitty soon to be felon candidate they have to hope their opposition pulls a Dan Campbell and intentionally passes on winning moves and does something stupid to lose.
Some of those Dems are also in close races to keep their own jobs in 2024 and they (rightfully) fear he’s now a major drag on the ticket.

As bad as Trump is, he hasn't yet been as bad as W.
What Is It Reaction GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT