ADVERTISEMENT

Is Josh O done?

Even Josh "in shape" (and he isn't anywhere close to being in game shape...not even for short periods) is slow and can't get off the ground for shit. Edey will shoot over him and around him. Josh, if he plays even a single minute, isn't making Edey uncomfortable. Now...if the plan is to send him in to essentially mug Edey a few times...well perhaps that's an interesting approach. One, however, that won't impact the game in a positive way for the Hawks, IMO.
we saw agin last night how well Ogundele played vs Eddy. Ogundele held his own, got 3 rebounds, 1 offensive, contested Eddy for position, contested his inside shots 1-2, fouled him at rim, scored 2, and drew a fouls on Eddy .

in addition IOWA did not need to double and triple Eddy, thus not giving up wide open 3s or open shots as Purdue wisley moved the ball to the open man.

Lastly, and of note, but not statistical significant, is that IOWA was up a +3 in Ogundele 4min of action, in which Eddy out scored Ogundele 4 to 2, and each of the behemoths recorded a foul against the other.

use of Ogundele to rebound , draw fouls, contest shots, convert underneath, enable a non doubling scramble defense is certainly an alternative approach and agin shows the value of giving Ogundele more minutes

You are seeing more than I see. If you cannot dominate at a community college, and he was barely respectable, I don't know why he would be more than a fallback. I would take him as a replacement to develop over our current bench bigs, but we need an experienced big man in the portal a LOT more.
My recollection is that Doug Thomas didn’t have great JC stats, either. I share your skepticism, but at the same time if Fran wants him I’ve greater trust in his eye. Just watching him move, he looks very coordinated and athletic.

I thought Josh looked ok for someone who has been out of action for so long.
He has a big body and good hands.
Still a baller in there somewhere.
With 2 more seasons to improve I think he has a chance.

My recollection is that Doug Thomas didn’t have great JC stats, either. I share your skepticism, but at the same time if Fran wants him I’ve greater trust in his eye. Just watching him move, he looks very coordinated and athletic.
I also trust Fran's ability to assess talent, but from the little I know, this guy is not a top priority recruit. If JoshO and/or Mulvey leave, I think he would be a great recruit to add as a project, but a much higher priority is an experience big man from the portal.

we saw agin last night how well Ogundele played vs Eddy. Ogundele held his own, got 3 rebounds, 1 offensive, contested Eddy for position, contested his inside shots 1-2, fouled him at rim, scored 2, and drew a fouls on Eddy .

in addition IOWA did not need to double and triple Eddy, thus not giving up wide open 3s or open shots as Purdue wisley moved the ball to the open man.

Lastly, and of note, but not statistical significant, is that IOWA was up a +3 in Ogundele 4min of action, in which Eddy out scored Ogundele 4 to 2, and each of the behemoths recorded a foul against the other.

use of Ogundele to rebound , draw fouls, contest shots, convert underneath, enable a non doubling scramble defense is certainly an alternative approach and agin shows the value of giving Ogundele more minutes
I was a proponent of giving Josh more minutes in this game because Edey is the type of B1G with zero outside game that Josh is built for. It was a huge mistake to throw everything at Edey leaving everyone else to pretty much score at will. In the game that Purdue lost against Indiana Edey scored 33 and the rest of the team had 41. Compare to last night where Edey had 14 and the rest had 73.

Speaking of which, Iowa's defensive ranking is now at 158 and dropping like a stone. I don't understand why Fran hasn't brought in someone to help with it. You just don't see so many wide open looks for shooters like Iowa gives up. You can see it coming in half court sets and yet the players seem completely ill-equipped to respond. The guards were all really terrible last night. I understand Cmac is slow relative to some of the opponents, but Ulis and Perkins shouldn't be this bad given their athleticism and yet too often they are. The lack of communication on defense given the experience levels on the court is also mind boggling. They're just bad.

Really wish Josh could get into playing shape. I think he has played well at every opportunity. He certainly provides a physical dimension that no one else on the team can.

I think he takes a big step forward next year. Bigs can take awhile to develop. He's sneaky athletic for being "big jelly"

Reactions: KcTo and Mohawkeye
I was a proponent of giving Josh more minutes in this game because Edey is the type of B1G with zero outside game that Josh is built for. It was a huge mistake to throw everything at Edey leaving everyone else to pretty much score at will. In the game that Purdue lost against Indiana Edey scored 33 and the rest of the team had 41. Compare to last night where Edey had 14 and the rest had 73.

Speaking of which, Iowa's defensive ranking is now at 158 and dropping like a stone. I don't understand why Fran hasn't brought in someone to help with it. You just don't see so many wide open looks for shooters like Iowa gives up. You can see it coming in half court sets and yet the players seem completely ill-equipped to respond. The guards were all really terrible last night. I understand Cmac is slow relative to some of the opponents, but Ulis and Perkins shouldn't be this bad given their athleticism and yet too often they are. The lack of communication on defense given the experience levels on the court is also mind boggling. They're just bad.
Yep, its a lack of seriousness given to the details of defense.

Good defense requires communication more than anything else and Iowa doesn't have it.

Compound that with bad habits and they are constantly losing track of people.

It must be that Fran feels he only has enough time to get what he wants to work on on offense done.

Otherwise why wouldn't you bring in a defensive coach.

Yep, its a lack of seriousness given to the details of defense.

Good defense requires communication more than anything else and Iowa doesn't have it.

Compound that with bad habits and they are constantly losing track of people.

It must be that Fran feels he only has enough time to get what he wants to work on on offense done.

Otherwise why wouldn't you bring in a defensive coach.
Pride? It sounds silly but I'd love if someone asked the question. I doubt there would be acknowledgement that he and his staff aren't capable of coaching it, but that's become pretty obvious.

It’s really shocking that we lose Bohannon and our defense got worse. Dispels a common narrative.

I think losing Keagan has cost us defensively. Last year he was almost as good on defense as offense. And we could bring in Kris off the bench. Only one Murray this year hurts. Sandfort and the McCaffery boys are not nearly the same defender. Probably losing Toussant has hurt as well.

I had hoped Gatens would have a positive influence on our defense, I always thought he was a good defender. Not seeing it so far.

Last edited:

This is good point
In the game that Purdue lost against Indiana Edey scored 33 and the rest of the team had 41. Compare to last night where Edey had 14 and the rest had 73.”

Consider if Fran let’s Ogundele play 1v1 on Eddy, straight up, and let the other guys play straight up, and Eddy will get points, but the others won’t get free looks.

also,consider if you let Ogundele go directly into the teeth of the shot blocker, directly at the rim, and see if Eddy makes fouling mistakes as he simply doesn’t have much game experience vs brute power low polish guys that make him block the shot, we saw agin like last year, Ogundele drawing fouls on the Purdue B1Gs

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT