ADVERTISEMENT

Is this the most bad ass thing ever? And is this guy the most bad ass guy on Earth?

I just watched the doc about him on Netflix. Crazy accomplishment. The stamina it took to pull it off is crazy. Dude had unusual ability to utilize oxygen so efficiently. Seeing them shred Nanga Parbat and K2 so easily was impressive.

Messner may have done some of those without oxygen, but not on such a compressed time scale.

No real desire to summit any of the 8m peaks, but I'd love to trek around them

Nanga Parbat
1280px-Fairy_Meadows_and_the_view_of_Nanga_Parbat.jpg

Shot from near the peak of Hawkeye Point.
18everest-photo-superJumbo.jpg
That was actually taken by NIMS, the same guy who did the 14 peaks. That's totally insane but hey the Nepali govt makes 50K off each schmuck so why me worry?

Reactions: z_ape
Tall people don’t do well in mountain climbing because of oxygen is something I recall reading.

poor people don’t do well either.

impressive but two big factors that some people have no control over.

Tall people don’t do well in mountain climbing because of oxygen is something I recall reading.

poor people don’t do well either.

impressive but two big factors that some people have no control over.
Thank Christ I am 8' 13''. I thought there was something wrong with me.

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69
There’s a big debate in the alpinist community about whether it counts if you don’t use the search bar.

pepsiskiing.jpg

He is in a different league. He'd die on those peaks. Alpine climbing and his climbing are totally unrelated but he's the goat at what he does.

If you want to see some absolutely insane free soloing - which also happens to be on Netflix right now - check out The Alpinist. Mark-Andre Leclerc is probably the most stunning alpine climber I've ever seen. His command of rock and ice is unbelievable.

I'd say him and Reinhold Messner.

I was following Nims all while he was doing it on social media and really looking forward to the documentary. It's very good and they crammed a ton of material (all 14 peaks!) into under 2 hrs. I'm glad they didn't just keep showing a bunch of fisheye angles going up snowy, wind blow slopes from helmet cams and instead spent a lot of time on his background, the team, the "why" he was doing it, etc. His comment at the end to the crowd showing his appreciation for them being there but also saying the crowd would be 10x bigger if he was a western climber was spot on. Between this and winter K2 summit - hopefully it's the start of recognizing Sherpa climbers as truly the best high altitude climbers (not every discipline) in the world. All us white folk are just riding their coattails and always have been (sorry Hillary). Nims certainly seems to have the swagger and the chip on his shoulder to keep the momentum going and I hope he does.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT