ADVERTISEMENT

Is this the most quality depth we’ve had since the Gable era?

Jan 16, 2017
Just wanted to point out our depth. I don’t recall this kind of quality depth in a long time.
125 Cashman
133 Glynn, *Teasdale, Stickley
141 Happel, Renteria, Siebricht
149 Turk
157 Glosser, Shaw
165 Brands, Moody
174 Wilson
184 Assad, Glazier
197 Corbin, Holloway, Cook
285 Costello
How many Fargo AA or UWW AA on that list? Not to mention a couple world team members. Pretty impressive depth. I know some weights may bounce around. That may be the 2nd best line up in the state for college line ups.

That would make a very solid D1 team. Will be some very good battles for several spots.

Reactions: el dub
Just wanted to point out our depth. I don’t recall this kind of quality depth in a long time.
125 Cashman
133 Glynn, *Teasdale, Stickley
141 Happel, Renteria, Siebricht
149 Turk
157 Glosser, Shaw
165 Brands, Moody
174 Wilson
184 Assad, Glazier
197 Corbin, Holloway, Cook
285 Costello
How many Fargo AA or UWW AA on that list? Not to mention a couple world team members. Pretty impressive depth. I know some weights may bounce around. That may be the 2nd best line up in the state for college line ups.
No

Your definition of a solid d1 team must be different than most.

Well considering there are about what 80 D1 programs give or take, and that line up would probable beat the majority of them. That is what i would consider a solid team.

i.e. they would put a pretty good wrestler out at every weight class. Would they win the title or even place top ten, no, but as someone already said. A top 20 finish could be possible.

What would be your definition of a solid team?

There’s 1 maybe 2 guys there that could AA this year; Brands and Jrent. Gable had guys that could win the whole thing riding the bench, so I would say no this depth is no where close to what Gable had.
I would say Cashman, Teasdale, JRent, Brands, and Assad would all have a chance to make the podium. Some a little unlikely and most would probably be low on the podium, but I think they would all have a shot.

I'd like to see what Cashman is capable of.

I would say Cashman, Teasdale, JRent, Brands, and Assad would all have a chance to make the podium. Some a little unlikely and most would probably be low on the podium, but I think they would all have a shot.

Don't we already have a feel for this? Not a podium guy right now. Still a ways to go...but might get there at some point.

Reactions: 24 so far
Well considering there are about what 80 D1 programs give or take, and that line up would probable beat the majority of them. That is what i would consider a solid team.

i.e. they would put a pretty good wrestler out at every weight class. Would they win the title or even place top ten, no, but as someone already said. A top 20 finish could be possible.

What would be your definition of a solid team?
I would consider top 10 solid. Considering teasdale isn't even on the team, assad is a true freshman, and nelson hasn't wrestled any top competition, i see Renteria as the only all american if that lineup wrestled this year. Top 30 maybe.

they would beat minnesota
:D:D:D:D doh-kay

125 - McKee over Cashman
133 - Iowa - Minny looking on the transfer Portal
141 - McKee over J-Rent
149 - Lee over Turk
157 - Brolsma over Glossner
165 - Nelson Over Allar
174 - Skatzka over Wilson
184 - Anderson over Assad (Anderson this year)
197 - Ritter over Corbin/Holloway
285 - Gable over Costello

I would consider top 10 solid. Considering teasdale isn't even on the team, assad is a true freshman, and nelson hasn't wrestled any top competition, i see Renteria as the only all american if that lineup wrestled this year. Top 30 maybe.

Well OK, but top 10 is a little better then solid in my book. Again, considering that most D1 coaches would love to have this line up to put out on the mat,

You are also under estimating Brands, Teasdale it has been said is doing very well. Turk is tuff and already been a starter, and several others have looked very good in spot starts.

Reactions: Grip220
:D:D:D:D doh-kay

125 - McKee over Cashman
133 - Iowa - Minny looking on the transfer Portal
141 - McKee over J-Rent
149 - Lee over Turk
157 - Brolsma over Glossner
165 - Nelson Over Allar
174 - Skatzka over Wilson
184 - Anderson over Assad (Anderson this year)
197 - Ritter over Corbin/Holloway
285 - Gable over Costello

I would take Glosser over Brolsma

I would say that team is a fringe top 20 team. Putting them above 75% of D-1 teams. I would consider that solid. Let’s go with this line up.
125 Cashman
133 Renteria
141 Happel
149 Glosser/Turk
157 Brands
165 Moody
174 Wilson
184 Assad
197 Corbin
285 Costello
I see 7-9 qualifiers and 5 guys who win matches at nattys and with a good tourney make the podium.(Cashman, JRent, Happel, Glosser, Brands, Assad) this team would have a good dual with both ISU and UNI imo.

Reactions: Grip220
Iowa was pretty damn deep during that 08-10 run. Slaton and Leclere spent most of the time on the bench. Leet, Rasing and Kerr saw limited to no time. Covington came and went. Tsirtsis got to redshirt. Nate Moore didn’t pan out.

That doesn’t even mention Ramos and St. John and even Carew as
TF’s in 2010 or Perry, Metcalf, McDonough, Borschel, Dennis, Marion, Gambrall, Falcon, Fields, Keddy, Erekson, Morningstar, the Lofhouses and even Tyler Clark.

That group bought into Brands hook, line and sinker. Let’s see if this year’s can do the same!

I think the OP said depth. I took that to mean that “room guys” are at an all time high. This team won’t be starters but many would fill in nicely if starters can’t go. I also see JRent and Brands type kids as very hungry. Hungry bench strength will always make starters better.

Reactions: tiltman
I would say that team is a fringe top 20 team. Putting them above 75% of D-1 teams. I would consider that solid. Let’s go with this line up.
125 Cashman
133 Renteria
141 Happel
149 Glosser/Turk
157 Brands
165 Moody
174 Wilson
184 Assad
197 Corbin
285 Costello
I see 7-9 qualifiers and 5 guys who win matches at nattys and with a good tourney make the podium.(Cashman, JRent, Happel, Glosser, Brands, Assad) this team would have a good dual with both ISU and UNI imo.
LOL

Well OK, but top 10 is a little better then solid in my book. Again, considering that most D1 coaches would love to have this line up to put out on the mat,

You are also under estimating Brands, Teasdale it has been said is doing very well. Turk is tuff and already been a starter, and several others have looked very good in spot starts.
I'm not underestimating brands. I watched him last year. If he was in the starting lineup this year i think he would struggle to all american. And i love nelson, i think he's gonna be an animal, but i dont think this year he could hang with the top guys. Teasdale isn't even on the team, and turk, well, is turk. I don't think most coaches would love to have that lineup, they'd love to have Iowa's starting lineup. That lineup is top 30-40, maybe. That's average.

Reactions: roeisele
I'm not underestimating brands. I watched him last year. If he was in the starting lineup this year i think he would struggle to all american. And i love nelson, i think he's gonna be an animal, but i dont think this year he could hang with the top guys. Teasdale isn't even on the team, and turk, well, is turk. I don't think most coaches would love to have that lineup, they'd love to have Iowa's starting lineup. That lineup is top 30-40, maybe. That's average.

You are wrong in my opinion and it will be proven this season.

I disagree. I wouldn't be surprised if Nelson is our varsity 57 pounder.
Cashman Biscoglia Mackall
Renteria Bennett Gomez
Happel Blockhus Parker
Glosser Thomsen Degen
Brands Geerts/Lara Straw
Moody Stiert Carr
Wilson Lujan Coleman
Assad Moore Colbray
Corbin Holschlag Shapiro
Costello Isley Gremmel
I think this line up could hang

There’s 1 maybe 2 guys there that could AA this year; Brands and Jrent. Gable had guys that could win the whole thing riding the bench, so I would say no this depth is no where close to what Gable had.
As they used to say in the good ol' days:

Gable had many in the stable who were quite able who were not sitting around watching cable.

Or something like that.

that's what i thought too mr nichols, that's why i said they would beat minny, instead the other clown bit on the bait.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT