ADVERTISEMENT

Islamic State in Afghanistan

I 100% agree that Trump and Bidwn own responsibility for the poor exit. What I don't agree with is the idea that Joe couldn't have done anything to change it.
If the deal was already made with the Taliban how do you expect Biden to renegotiate? He should have left troops there until everyone was out but not sure they could have been left there. To me, that is why the middle east hates us.

I 100% agree that Trump and Bidwn own responsibility for the poor exit. What I don't agree with is the idea that Joe couldn't have done anything to change it.
I don't think that Biden or any of his advisors thought an army the US spent twenty years training and equipping would roll over in a matter of days. It just goes to show that this is what the Afghan people want.

If the deal was already made with the Taliban how do you expect Biden to renegotiate? He should have left troops there until everyone was out but not sure they could have been left there. To me, that is why the middle east hates us.
How do I expect the United States of America to renegotiate with a dwindling force of rag-tag goat herders after we have been beating the shit out of them for 20 years......

I don't think that Biden or any of his advisors thought an army the US spent twenty years training and equipping would roll over in a matter of days. It just goes to show that this is what the Afghan people want.
The loser men pussies do perhaps yes. NOT the women.

How do I expect the United States of America to renegotiate with a dwindling force of rag-tag goat herders after we have been beating the shit out of them for 20 years......
You are only thinking of the use of force. We made a deal to completely leave. Not complying is why we are hated in the area. I am not saying it was the right decision but it is reality.

I could sustain zero for a long time.

I think the calculus has to move beyond casualties measured in the battlefields abroad.
This policy incurs casualties at home. Our lives and our liberties.
None of the neocon dreams are worth trading away our lives and liberties in exchange for a panopticon state at home to maintain support for an empire abroad.
Ok

You are ignoring that the stage was set for this and if you are on record you wanted us fully reengaged with no end in sight then let me
You are ignoring that the stage was set for this and if you are on record you wanted us fully reengaged with no end in sight then let me know.
If by “fully engaged” you mean upping the troop level to 5k and upping air assets for the fighting season….yep.

If by “fully engaged” you mean upping the troop level to 5k and upping air assets for the fighting season….yep.
5k? It would have taken more than that and even so why? Endless occupation in sight and when we leave collapse ensues. President Biden wanted us out in 2011 and was the only one on the National Security council at the time who was absolutely right. What a waste after the initial mission was completed killing Bin Laden.

5k? It would have taken more than that and even so why? Endless occupation in sight and when we leave collapse ensues. President Biden wanted us out in 2011 and was the only one on the National Security council at the time who was absolutely right. What a waste after the initial mission was completed killing Bin Laden.
We’ll see….

You are only thinking of the use of force. We made a deal to completely leave. Not complying is why we are hated in the area. I am not saying it was the right decision but it is reality.
Except the deal specified that the withdrawal was based on conditions that were not met.

Hopefully there will not be a future attack on American soil originating from Afghanistan. If there is, the withdrawal was a bad move. We had 20 years there with no attacks on American soil.

Except the deal specified that the withdrawal was based on conditions that were not met.

Hopefully there will not be a future attack on American soil originating from Afghanistan. If there is, the withdrawal was a bad move. We had 20 years there with no attacks on American soil.
I agree on the American soil part.

We were reengaged with Taliban in a Civil war if we didn't leave and or ramped up forces. Period. Our greatest threat is the internal and endless insurrection currently you either support or so god damn dumb don't see.

I guess the question is where they will strike. My guess is Pakistan first, then maybe a Gulf State that pissed them off. We have to be vigilant, but a mainland US strike is unlikely. Embassies or Americans abroad are always going to be vulnerable.
Staying doesn’t seem to have been an option. Trump and Biden both ran on pulling out. Trump signed the deal saying we were pulling out. And, the American people overwhelmingly wanted to pull out of Afghanistan.

This was a concern of mine but I don't know how we alleviate it without having our troops constantly in action and constantly fighting in Afghanistan.
Where are people hearing this nonsense about us not having to fight when we are occupying a country? Now we are worried about keeping our troops out of action while in a combat zone?

I do not understand why this is such a big deal to anyone! We knew going in that this was going to end up being a 50-100 year project. No one ever suggested that somewhere along the way, the leadership of this country was not going to honor the commitment we originally made to the Afghan people. That commitment was a pledge to at least occasionally, fight in defense of that country ... and to be there "at-the-ready" in between.

... and now the people of Afghanistan, who put their faith in us have been betrayed ... because, it turns out that we did not really mean it. Our word is not really our bond ... except when it is convenient for this to be the case.

Reactions: 86Hawkeye
Why would he have had to send in thousands of troops to reengage?

The Afghan forces were doing the grunt work, and we were providing the intel and air support.
To continue to fight muslims through a muslim proxy army that is used to prop up a corrupt puppet government is really the best recruitment the US can do for the Islamist extremism factions that attacked us in response to such a policy.

It's the MIC's perpetual spending machine.

Past time to get off that ride and quit wasting billions of dollars and thousands of lives.

At some point, you acknowledge it's a Sisyphean task to bomb these societies into modernity, right?

I do not understand why this is such a big deal to anyone! We knew going in that this was going to end up being a 50-100 year project. No one ever suggested that somewhere along the way, the leadership of this country was not going to honor the commitment we originally made to the Afghan people.
If George W Bush can pledge the nation to a century of war in the Middle East why even have elections every four years?

Can we call it enough at 30 years?

Where are people hearing this nonsense about us not having to fight when we are occupying a country? Now we are worried about keeping our troops out of action while in a combat zone?

I do not understand why this is such a big deal to anyone! We knew going in that this was going to end up being a 50-100 year project. No one ever suggested that somewhere along the way, the leadership of this country was not going to honor the commitment we originally made to the Afghan people. That commitment was a pledge to at least occasionally, fight in defense of that country ... and to be there "at-the-ready" in between.

... and now the people of Afghanistan, who put their faith in us have been betrayed ... because, it turns out that we did not really mean it. Our word is not really our bond ... except when it is convenient for this to be the case.
Completely ridiculous.

No we didn't know going in that it was a 50 to 100 year project.

Iraq wasn't.

This is primarily on the leadership apparatus in Afghanistan which was too corrupt to form an effective self sustaining government.

To continue to fight muslims through a muslim proxy army that is used to prop up a corrupt puppet government is really the best recruitment the US can do for the Islamist extremism factions that attacked us in response to such a policy.

It's the MIC's perpetual spending machine.

Past time to get off that ride and quit wasting billions of dollars and thousands of lives.

At some point, you acknowledge it's a Sisyphean task to bomb these societies into modernity, right?

I agree we needed to get out. The manner in which it was done could have been handled better ( understatement).

But my point still stands. There would have been no reason to send thousands more . Afghan grunts, and American intel and air support. That was already in place so no need to send more.

No we didn't know going in that it was a 50 to 100 year project.

Iraq wasn't.

This is primarily on the leadership apparatus in Afghanistan which was too corrupt to form an effective self sustaining government.
And, a lot of countries stood by and calculated that some aid money being stolen was worth it. Everyone was wrong. The people of Afghanistan aren't as enamored with the Taliban as some think. The people just came to realize their government was horribly corrupt, and wasn't protecting them. As skewed and misogynistic as they were, the first go around for the Taliban gave a lot of Afghans a sense of security. We'll see what happens. They are already having problems feeding and protecting their people, and Imran Khan in Pakistan is begging for the US to pump in aid to stabilize the country that he helped to destabilize.

They are going to hate us no matter what, we are infidels. Atleast we could have gotten our people, shit, and allies out.

And, a lot of countries stood by and calculated that some aid money being stolen was worth it. Everyone was wrong. The people of Afghanistan aren't as enamored with the Taliban as some think. The people just came to realize their government was horribly corrupt, and wasn't protecting them. As skewed and misogynistic as they were, the first go around for the Taliban gave a lot of Afghans a sense of security. We'll see what happens. They are already having problems feeding and protecting their people, and Imran Khan in Pakistan is begging for the US to pump in aid to stabilize the country that he helped to destabilize.

Give the aid we're giving to Pakistan to Afghanistan.

Give the aid we're giving to Pakistan to Afghanistan.
It's hard to make an absolute statement, but, if there is a worse nation for the US to be allied with than Pakistan, I don't know what nation it is.

Time for China to step up. They've been trying to invest in resource extraction, and they like to be involved around the world. Let them step up to the plate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT