ADVERTISEMENT

Issue with Field of Dreams plot

Gotta be one of the dumbest movies ever made. Makes sense it would be an Iowa treasure.
I think Marvel has the market cornered on that. A girl with a handgun and a guy with a bow and arrow manage to go toe-to-toe with essentially gods from other parts of the universe.

An entity with technology allowing them to travel from light years away can’t hit a mortal human even once?

How do we know all those ball players weren't shitting in the corn field all year long??🤣

AggressiveShortHapuku-max-1mb.gif

1980s farmers barely getting by + plowing over any of your crop producing acres makes it worse. Over thinking it.
This. I've heard this story 100 tines from my grandpa, so I have a little reference here. In 1988 a drought killed 50% of the crops. 10s of thousands of farmers went under. The farm was already on the brink of bankruptcy. No crop and interest rates at 18-20% is no bueno.

Reactions: Chishawk1425
This. I've heard this story 100 tines from my grandpa, so I have a little reference here. In 1988 a drought killed 50% of the crops. 10s of thousands of farmers went under. The farm was already on the brink of bankruptcy. No crop and interest rates at 18-20% is no bueno.
Interest rates were no where near this level in the late 80's...........don't bullshit a bullshitter.

Hopefully, they put a minor league team in it. A regular schedule of games may still attract visitors…and the AAU games will benefit Eastern Iowa/Dubuque area…
I'd love a Dubuque minor league team, I wish the tax referendum would have passed to build the stadium by the Diamond Jo and Star Brewery, it was rumored a Cubs affiliate was interested. Dubuque has amazing baseball history and pedigree. The league that began here in the way early days became the American League, Comiskey coached here.

Maybe I'll start a spin off thread about it, but maybe I'll just watch field of dreams and remember that my wife's (no pic) friend was the stunt double for the fall off the bleachers, and half my family was in the end scene car's moving to the field, and I can pick out all the Dubuque and Galena film locations, because it was a great movie and good for the region, regardless about he number of acres Ray plowed under, the farm crisis of the 80s was still in everyone's memories and it resonated. Further it was written by WP Kinsella who is an Iowa Writer's Workshop Grad.

Last edited:
I've seen this movie dozens of times, and aside from the ghost baseball players, but my main sticking point with the story is that Ray was going to lose his farm, due to the fact he 'tilled up half his crop' for a baseball field. The reality is the field would be 3-4 acres of land and that would mean his total farm ground would be at most 10 acres?

Flip side is it is cool to see the old school HyVee logo on the frozen french fry bag and ketchup bottle in the scene before the school board meeting.
The saddest part about the movie today is the crazy bitch in the book banning scene is now our drunken imbecile governor.

Reactions: CarterHall
The saddest part about the movie today is the crazy bitch in the book banning scene is now our drunken imbecile governor.
The gentlemen that restrained her is Paul Hemmer a Dubuque radio personality. She's awful. Filmed at a high school gym in Farley, IA. Love the Mississippi Valley Conference's Schools Banners hanging up in the background!

Reactions: torbee
I'd love a Dubuque minor league team, I wish the tax referendum would have passed to build the stadium by the Diamond Jo and Star Brewery, it was rumored a Cubs affiliate was interested. Dubuque has amazing baseball history and pedigree. The league that began here in the way early days became the American League, Comiskey coached here.

Maybe I'll start a spin off thread about it, but maybe I'll just watch field of dreams and remember that my wife's (no pic) friend was the stunt double for the fall off the bleachers, and half my family was in the end scene car's moving to the field, and I can pick out all the Dubuque and Galena film locations, because it was a great movie and good for the region, regardless about he number of acres Ray plowed under, the farm crisis of the 80s was still in everyone's memories and it resonated. Further it was written by WP Kinsella who is an Iowa Writer's Workshop Grad.
The one person that I had a tenuous connection with that had a part in the movie sadly passed away last week. He's the one in the Cardinals uniform. I played one year of semipro with him.

That lady never became Iowa's Gov, but she did go on in her acting career to ironically, be a book store owner in an episode of Roseanne. A few seasons earlier she played a wife that came to the house to buy a used washing machine, when the door-to-door salesman died in their kitchen

I mean, how could one eyed willie make all those booby traps if he was killed at the table with his crew?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT