ADVERTISEMENT

It is what it is

I’d be more than OK with QB rollouts and let Marco wing it or run every pass play over another year of an immobile fence post in the pocket.
I like your thinking here because when a defense has to scheme to cover a good running QB it usually leaves other areas more vulnerable. The hawks themselves have been burned many times by good running qbs.

Usually a rollout cuts down the area of the field you want to throw into but a strong armed qb can overcome that. As others have said, if Marco and Hill are basically even in most other respects then Marco should be ahead of Hill based on his running ability.

Reactions: nu2u
So a running QB is going to be able to beat an 11 man in the box defense? Who knew?
Iowa would love to play teams with that kind of offense.

Buddy text me from the practice
“Lainez couldn’t hit water if he was in a boat”
“Dejong fake blocked a guy fell down and curled into a ball”
Hill had ball at his waist and was stripped at 5 yd line on Third and goal”
“ Hill and Lainez couldn’t hit anyone in just drills”
“ couldn’t run the ball”
Anyone see anything different?
from what i am reading sounds like a 5 or 6 win season.

Marco is better. This is his first experience with a coach that knows how to coach.
Exactly! If Lester is even 25% better/smarter than Brian and has real responsibility, we will be better than last year and will improve from there. If we’re correct, ML will get the reps either behind Cade or in lieu of Cade. We go up from there.

from what i am reading sounds like a 5 or 6 win season.
6 wins is virtually guaranteed if the offense can at least improve enough to be ranked 90-100 of all NCAA teams - the defense will be that good (as usual).

Iowa finished 123rd in scoring offense (15.4 ppg) and still won 10 games in 2023, barely ahead of last place Kent State. Putting 8-10 more points on the board every game would give Iowa a huge edge.

Brian Ferentz was given an ultimatum to score 25 points per game - let’s shoot for that pedestrian goal and stop making millionaires out of bettors who confidently wager their child’s college fund on the Iowa under line.

Reactions: uihawk82
Yikes, definitely not encouraging news - let’s pray that Cade is healthy all year…🙏
Zero chance that happens. If we’re hanging our hopes on Cade, we’re screwed. We have to have another viable option. Dude has glass knees. Even when he was “healthy” he couldn’t hit anyone anyway.

Zero chance that happens. If we’re hanging our hopes on Cade, we’re screwed. We have to have another viable option. Dude has glass knees. Even when he was “healthy” he couldn’t hit anyone anyway.
Huh I recall peeps on here going nuts in Iowa's first game last fall because of two passing TDs .

Reactions: Pawkhawk1

First point I think Cade will be wearing that knee brace while he plays and he should as last year I watched a top runner from Memphis iirc who wore a big brace and he moved fine. If Cade's knee is structurally repaired and rehabbed to full strength he has a chance to play the whole season.

As far as your 2nd pt about he couldnt hit anyone you do remember maybe his first pass of the season to SethA iirc which went for a 40 yard TD and was right on the money. Cade was under enough pressure during his short time as qb to make it hard for him. His stats at Mich with a OLine who gave him time and with receivers who could separate were very good.

I think Lester's offense will get more open receivers and open by bigger windows and most usually have a dump off pass ready to a running back.

Reactions: BUCKSNDUCKS
6 wins is virtually guaranteed if the offense can at least improve enough to be ranked 90-100 of all NCAA teams - the defense will be that good (as usual).

Iowa finished 123rd in scoring offense (15.4 ppg) and still won 10 games in 2023, barely ahead of last place Kent State. Putting 8-10 more points on the board every game would give Iowa a huge edge.

Brian Ferentz was given an ultimatum to score 25 points per game - let’s shoot for that pedestrian goal and stop making millionaires out of bettors who confidently wager their child’s college fund on the Iowa under line.
At some point leaning on the defense constantly isn't going to work. 5 of last year's wins were one possession, 3 were by 10 points or less. Outside of the Minnesota game (which should have been a "W") we weren't remotely in the other 3 we lost.

Without a competent offense, I only see 2 "for sure" wins, Ball St and Troy. (and Troy isn't a layup).

NU2U... who are the 6 wins you see?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Bierhalter
What would you have said Penix’s chances of being healthy when he went to Washington? Negative 100 percent?

There is a good chance he stays healthy if he actually waits until he’s healthy to play. That said, you’re correct that they should not be putting all their eggs in the McNamara basket. No team should have no back up plan at any position. I would agree that Hill is indeed, no plan.

He was never healthy last year. If Iowa had a competent back up, he wouldn’t have rushed back, and probably wouldn’t have torn his ACL.

When he’s healthy, he’s quite good, unless you’re not old enough to remember him playing at Michigan his Freshman year. Kid saved Jim Harbaugh’s job.

Reactions: thunderstruck1
So a running QB is going to be able to beat an 11 man in the box defense? Who knew?
Iowa would love to play teams with that kind of offense.
All I would like to see is for Iowa to punish stacked boxes. It's been years since we could complete a pass over it or make one pay. It's just one more pathetic part of the KF offense.

All I would like to see is for Iowa to punish stacked boxes. It's been years since we could complete a pass over it or make one pay. It's just one more pathetic part of the KF offense.
That is why I like Wetjen and Washington in the slot, They are both fast enough and have open field vision that someone is going to have to account for them every play. If they don't those short dump passes that are used when the defense blitzes are going to turn into chunk plays. In some ways, I think the biggest thing I am liking about how the offense is coming along, is that Tim is putting guys in positions for success. I also like in this last interview how he is now seeing why we are TEU. He almost seemed like a kid in a candy store when talking about the TE's. That is going to help him to open things up more then maybe he could have somewhere else as well.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
My hope is if Marco gets enough work with Lester he’ll become at least serviceable. I have no hope for Deacon. None.

I think we are seeing the full aftermath of how much Brian ****ed up quarterbacks. Spencer Petras was inconsistent his first year starting in 2020 but showed potential and had good moments. Brian takes over quarterbacks and Petras gets steadily worse every year.

Alex Padilla sucked, Cade McNamara had his struggles, Deacon Hill has been atrocious, and Marco Lainez can’t hit the broadside of a barn.

After all these quarterbacks have struggled as much as they have, it begins to become clear what the problem was. I just hope the Budster doesn’t screw up the wide receivers even worse than Brian ruined the quarterbacks.

Iowa needs a portal quarterback in the worst way. Someone who has had no contact with Brian whatsoever.
I think you might be forgetting that Budmayr had some say in the QB room since he arrived along with Brian and just might have been the defacto QB coach last year given his relationships with both Hill and McNamara.

At some point leaning on the defense constantly isn't going to work. 5 of last year's wins were one possession, 3 were by 10 points or less. Outside of the Minnesota game (which should have been a "W") we weren't remotely in the other 3 we lost.

Without a competent offense, I only see 2 "for sure" wins, Ball St and Troy. (and Troy isn't a layup).

NU2U... who are the 6 wins you see?
From what I read in some other threads many Iowa fans aren't really concerned with wins vs loses.

Usually a rollout cuts down the area of the field you want to throw into but a strong armed qb can overcome that. As others have said, if Marco and Hill are basically even in most other respects then Marco should be ahead of Hill based on his running ability.
Rollouts effectively take away half the field - a cardinal sin for all but the most elite qbs is to throw the ball back to the middle of the field across their body.

I saw enough from both QBs that I would expect Marco to pass Hill by the start of the season - fully expect them to try to land a transfer qb as well.

For those ragging on Marco, remember he was 3rd string most of last year - actually 4th string for 3 weeks into the season. So he never really got a chance to learn the offense and get to the point he could just run the play without having to think a lot about it. Maybe that is why his passing went from 70 in high school down to 50 now!!! JMO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT