ADVERTISEMENT

Italy Vacation

StormHawk42

HR Legend
Nov 3, 2009
Any of you jabronis done a trip to Italy? TBW have settled on a 12-13 day trip next May for our anniversary (~Memorial Day ish).

Right now, I'm kinda thinking some combination of Rome, Naples/Amalfi, Florence/Pisa, Venice, 2-3 nights each. First question is would a travel agent be helpful here since we've never been to Europe as adults and it's a big trip? Second question is how far out do we need to be planning/booking?

We'd do the obvious stuff like the Colosseum and the Vatican, but we'd likely want to do more wandering and things like wineries and cooking classes. Tips, do's, or dont's are appreciated. Is the city itinery doable in that amount of time? I hear the trains are pretty excellent there.

I'll probably bump this thread every so often just to get some more opinions as the planning gets more serious.

TIA. Italian bishes for your trouble:
cristina-buccino-perfect-italian-model.png

2bed37c8e45d4b6908e0d95f374596ef.jpg

ef2a0.jpg

5079e97d59917183fd78ab09161870fa--reef-girls-beach-girls.jpg

top-20-hottest-italian-actresses-and-models-19.jpg

1f4547c7e5b6e5feb5bd2fe30338b39b--venus-images-demi-rose-mawby.jpg

If you don’t get an answer - hit up @traviscreates on the Twitter. Hawkeye dude does like yearly Italy trips and has led some group ones as well

If you go to Naples, then be sure and go over the the Isle of Capri. Visit Pompeii. Visit Sorento. Protect yourselves from pickpockets in the Vatican area.

We stayed in Rome and took a day trip to Florence on the train. Worked out well. Got to see the Italian countryside and some hill towns on the ride.

Reactions: Nole Lou
If you go to Naples, then be sure and go over the the Isle of Capri. Visit Pompeii. Visit Sorento. Protect yourselves from pickpockets in the Vatican area.
The Naples train to Pompeii and Sorrento are also bold. Some lady tried to take wife’s money at ticket window while kids and I set back with luggage. Like less than 1’ away from handing cash below window. Had to fight her off.

You’ll love it and don’t need a travel agent. We stayed in ABNB for Rome, Florence, Sorrento and Venice. Easier with kids and needing more room than European hotels.

Reactions: BGHAWK
American cemetery outside of Florence is impactful. Did a guided tour through Italy 5 years ago. Spent at least 2 nights in 5 or 6 cities. Actually enjoyed travel days as they were relaxing and saw amazing scenery.

Reactions: DogBoyRy and Torg

Expect Complete Chaos if You’re Heading to Europe This Summer​

It’s not looking good.

Travel in Europe has become a nightmare. Last month, the queues outside Amsterdam’s Schiphol Airport were so long that KLM halted ticket bookings for four days. In the U.K., hundreds of daily flights have been delayed and canceled, and social media is abuzz with pictures of snaking lines at British airports. Dublin Airport even asked passengers to rebook their flights because lines were so long that travelers wouldn’t make it to their gates on time. Meanwhile, Spanish airline Iberia said that 15,000 passengers have missed their flights from Madrid since March, all due to airport hold-ups.

According to experts, the situation isn’t going to get resolved anytime soon.

Why Is This Happening?

After two pandemic summers, travelers have decided to return to the skies. The aviation industry is witnessing rebounding numbers and expects to make a recovery as soon as 2023, according to IATA. However, airlines and airports don’t appear to be ready for this onslaught.

RECOMMENDED FODOR’S VIDEO​

Much like in the U.S., European travel companies cut jobs when the pandemic began in 2020—around 200,000 aviation workers were sacked, according to Euro News. There are currently staff shortages for airport security, ground staff, baggage handling, maintenance, and airline staff, including pilots and cabin crew. Paris’ two airports, Charles de Gaulle and Orly, have a combined shortage of 4,000 workers and need another 300 to 500 border police.

The travel surge has contributed to an increase in lost baggage, queue time, flight cancelations, and general mayhem. Airlines have trimmed their summer schedule to account for shortages, but it hasn’t been enough to iron out all the wrinkles.

To make matters worse, workers are striking to protest low wages, difficult hours, and frustrating working conditions. Paris’ CDG canceled 100 flights after unionized employees walked off their jobs on June 9. In Italy, air traffic controllers went on a 24-hour strike on June 8, which resulted in the cancelation of 360 flights. Pilots and crew members at EasyJet, Ryanair, and Volotea also staged a walk-off.

A Perfect Storm in the U.K.

Things are even more complicated in the U.K. After Brexit, British travelers lost their privilege to travel within the E.U. without fuss. Travelers now need to have their passports stamped on entry and exit, contributing to the delays. Additionally, Brexit has pushed out E.U. workers in the country—the travel industry has pleaded its case to hire from overseas, but the request was denied.

This weekend, the country found itself in a tough spot when the four-day Queen’s Platinum Jubilee weekend brought hoards of people to the capital. But thousands were stranded throughout Europe due to flight cancelations; even Eurostar train service from Paris to London faced disruptions.

British Airways and EasyJet are canceling more than a hundred flights every day. The CEO of Heathrow Airport, John Holland-Kaye, said it may take 12 to 18 months for the sector to fully recover capacity.

Prepare for the Snarls

American travelers are no stranger to the messiness of flying. On the Memorial weekend, more than 2,800 flights were canceled by U.S. airlines, with Delta scrapping 800 flights in five days.

So whether you’re traveling within the U.S. or taking that long-pending European vacation this summer, you will most likely face hiccups.

The best thing you can do is postpone your vacation to later in the year to avoid these problems as well as ditch the crowds that have descended to Europe. If that’s not possible, take extra care to save yourself heartache and frustrations.

Arrive at the airport early, especially for international flights. A head start of 3.5 hours is not a stretch, given the winding lines at check-in, security, and passport check. Refundable and flexible bookings and travel insurance are a must these days. Book direct flights, and always read the fine print to check the compensation you’re entitled to if an airline (domestic or international) delays or cancels your flights.

The duomo in Sienna is worth the trip alone. Cinque de Terre. Get into the small villages in Tuscany and find out how nice the people are. Monteriggioni for a night. Montepulciano for the wine. ENJOY!
Solid advice here.
Cinque terre is great. We like monterroso for eating and sleeping.
Venice is 1-2 days tops.
Rome is dirty but something you have to do.
Florence and tuscany wineries are a must.
Lake como is also nice.

American cemetery outside of Florence is impactful. Did a guided tour through Italy 5 years ago. Spent at least 2 nights in 5 or 6 cities. Actually enjoyed travel days as they were relaxing and saw amazing scenery.
I would not have thought about the cemetery. Thanks for that!

It’s been a while but…

1. Rome. The one place you tell yourself you will come back again before you die, because you can’t see it all and if you try you’ll fail. A day at Vatican St. Peter’s. A day for the colluseum and circus Maximus. A day or two to just walk around. Gnocchi. Fried artichokes. Pizza. Caccia e Pepe. Gelato, every other block. It’s ok because you’re wAlking.
2. Venice. 2 days. The light is just different there and a unique place globally. Overpay for gelato on piazza San Marco. Murano. Small plates.
3. Assisi. Must do day trip. Peaceful. New appreciation for Giotto.
4. Florence. Honestly a day was enough for me. See the David and the museum, get a little pizza. Sorta grungy.
5. Montalcino/pienza/montepulciano. Wine. City states. Most peaceful church I’ve ever been to San Antimo monastery. And top five restaurant experience poggio antico.

note how architecture reflects political history of the place. Imperial Rome, the physical manifestation of a city state, the Democratic buildings of a commercial republic.

Last edited:
The Naples train to Pompeii and Sorrento are also bold. Some lady tried to take wife’s money at ticket window while kids and I set back with luggage. Like less than 1’ away from handing cash below window. Had to fight her off.

You’ll love it and don’t need a travel agent. We stayed in ABNB for Rome, Florence, Sorrento and Venice. Easier with kids and needing more room than European hotels.

It's been a long time since we were there and we only went through Sorrento, but the view of Sorrento from the sea was one of the highlights of our trip.

DEFINITELY watch your stuff in the train stations. Don’t accept help no matter how well dressed the benefactor.

Reactions: Torg and DogBoyRy
Rome and give yourself several days there. You can’t even take in the Vatican museum in a single day, but you must sprint through it, can’t imagine going back for a second day though. Colosseum, Roman Forum and the Palatine Hill are must sees with a guided tour. Trevi Fountain and there are many beautiful chapels everywhere you go. Spend some time just walking the streets of Rome, visiting the stores and markets and follow the locals to their favorite restaurants. Best cups of espresso I ever had was in Rome. It’s my favorite city in the entire world.

If it were me I’d do a week in Rome then the following week a seaside town with a beach on the Italian Riviera just drinking in la dolce vita. I’d skip Cinque Terra, it was great 30 years ago, now it’s overrun with American tourists and is an overpriced land of suck as a result.

I’m not a fan of Venice either but some find it charming. I found it to be another overpriced tourist trap that was hot, humid and reeked of sewage. To each his own.

Edit: Get a money belt and keep all your valuables, passports and bank cards in it and well secured. Lots of grifters, thieves and conmen and women in Rome. Accept no gifts from strangers on the streets. But if a restauranteur comps you dessert thank him profusely and return for lunch or dinner the following day and you’ll likely get to meet his entire family. Best advice I can give you is to not over plan and try to do everything, it will ruin your stay. Just remember to return again to do those things you couldn’t the first time. And have fun and be gracious and kind to those you meet, Don't be an ugly American and you’ll be fine.

Last edited:
I hear Venice is a toilet from a few different people who’ve been. Make a day trip out of it and stay somewhere on the outskirts, is my plan for when we go thereS

Rome and give yourself several days there. You can’t even take in the Vatican museum in a single day, but you must sprint through it, can’t imagine going back for a second day though. Colosseum, Roman Forum and the Palatine Hill are must sees with a guided tour. Trevi Fountain and there are many beautiful chapels everywhere you go. Spend some time just walking the streets of Rome, visiting the stores and markets and follow the locals to their favorite restaurants. Best cups of espresso I ever had was in Rome. It’s my favorite city in the entire world.

If it were me I’d do a week in Rome then the following week a seaside town with a beach on the Italian Riviera just drinking in la dolce vita. I’d skip Cinque Terra, it was great 30 years ago, now it’s overrun with American tourists and is an overpriced land of suck as a result.

I’m not a fan of Venice either but some find it charming. I found it to be another overpriced tourist trap that was hot, humid and reeked of sewage. To each his own.
2nd that. Rome is my favorite city in the world too. Especially loved St Peters basilica and the Vatican, just amazing, and the food, of course.

Last edited:
We did V, F and Rome. We booked through Costco travel. They hit it out of the park and delivered on everything they advertised. Every side excursion we booked came off w/o a hitch including couriers and the hotels were all 4 and 5 star.

Reactions: Torg
As far as the big three, Rome was awesome and everyone should see Venice at least once. Florence has some must sees as well but it wasn’t my favorite city.

I’ll echo a few others that were down on Venice. I suppose its the case with almost all of the “tourist” cities in Italy, but Venice felt almost like Disney World in that it felt like the entire city was tourists walking around.

I loved Florence. We did a wine tour in the countryside and the food in the city was excellent.

Reactions: Torg and ihhawk

Edit: Get a money belt and keep all your valuables, passports and bank cards in it and well secured. Lots of grifters, thieves and conmen and women in Rome. Accept no gifts from strangers on the streets. But if a restauranteur comps you dessert thank him profusely and return for lunch or dinner the following day and you’ll likely get to meet his entire family. Best advice I can give you is to not over plan and try to do everything, it will ruin your stay. Just remember to return again to do those things you couldn’t the first time. And have fun and be gracious and kind to those you meet, Don't be an ugly American and you’ll be fine.
This is great advice. Thanks!

My parents went in 2019 and and did it right. If you really want to see Rome, block at least 3 days. Otherwise do a day there and enjoy the rest of Italy.

Sounds like a great plan...just make sure your expectations for Naples are low! Spend a day/night in the “ financial dustrict” on a weekend...what a pit! Trash, rats every where! However, as shitty and dirty as Naples was, 10 miles away, the Amalfi Coast is beyond spectacular! Absolutely breath-taking! Pompeii is close and certainly worth the visit.
Rome is Rome! Beautiful. Historic. Everything you think it might be. And Florence will blow you away. Get ahold of a Rick Steve’s travel book or two. His stuff if spot-on accurate for the most part.
Enjoy!

Reactions: Torg
Seriously people, I don't think I saw one mention of Sicily. It is an island and not attached to the mainland. However, it is still part of Italy and equally as amazing. Taormina is an absolute spectacular place. They even had an originally Caravaggio on display at church there.

Seriously people, I don't think I saw one mention of Sicily. It is an island and not attached to the mainland. However, it is still part of Italy and equally as amazing. Taormina is an absolute spectacular place. They even had an originally Caravaggio on display at church there.
Since this would be our first trip, we wanted to get the main touristy items. But if all goes well, I think Sicily would be excellent on a return trip.

It’s been a while but…

1. Rome. The one place you tell yourself you will come back again before you die, because you can’t see it all and if you try you’ll fail. A day at Vatican St. Peter’s. A day for the colluseum and circus Maximus. A day or two to just walk around. Gnocchi. Fried artichokes. Pizza. Caccia e Pepe. Gelato, every other block. It’s ok because you’re wAlking.
2. Venice. 2 days. The light is just different there and a unique place globally. Overpay for gelato on piazza San Marco. Murano. Small plates.
3. Assisi. Must do day trip. Peaceful. New appreciation for Giotto.
4. Florence. Honestly a day was enough for me. See the David and the museum, get a little pizza. Sorta grungy.
5. Montalcino/pienza/montepulciano. Wine. City states. Most peaceful church I’ve ever been to San Antimo monastery. And top five restaurant experience poggio antico.

note how architecture reflects political history of the place. Imperial Rome, the physical manifestation of a city state, the Democratic buildings of a commercial republic.
Love assisi.
I think italy changes depending if catholic or not.
If catholic their are some basilicas that are must see - st francis in assisi being one.

DEFINITELY watch your stuff in the train stations. Don’t accept help no matter how well dressed the benefactor.
This.
A friend of my wife(pic included)has had her purse stolen once in naples and once in rome.

Here is a pro tip for you when visiting the Vatican, book your entry time at the earliest time possible, when you enter go straight to the Sistine Chapel and avoid the huge crowds. Someone told us this and it was very smart, got there and spent 30 minutes or so with just a few other people in there. Then the crowds started to show up and we left and went and started our tour of the rest of it.

We liked Florence much more than Rome btw.

Here is a pro tip for you when visiting the Vatican, book your entry time at the earliest time possible, when you enter go straight to the Sistine Chapel and avoid the huge crowds. Someone told us this and it was very smart, got there and spent 30 minutes or so with just a few other people in there. Then the crowds started to show up and we left and went and started our tour of the rest of it.

The skip the line tours are very much worth it at the Vatican.

I loved Florence. The Boboli Gardens at the Piazza de Pitti was unreal

Reactions: Torg and hwk23
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT