ADVERTISEMENT

It's a good thing for Kamala Harris that children aren't allowed to vote...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., a Democratic presidential candidate, proposed a bill that would extend school hours from at least 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

The Family Friendly Schools Act would alter the traditional school day to align with parents’ work hours, according to a news release Harris' office released Wednesday.

“My mother raised my sister and me while working demanding, long hours,” Harris said in a statement. “So I know firsthand that for many working parents, juggling between school schedules and work schedules is a common cause of stress and financial hardship."

The bill would award grants to schools serving low-income families to provide “academic, athletic or enrichment opportunities” with “community partners."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...extend-school-until-6-pm-programs/2518562001/

Your schools don’t have aftercare programs? Mine do. Why are you against them?

Your schools don’t have aftercare programs? Mine do. Why are you against them?
ALL schools have aftercare now. But not everyone needs to use the option. It seems that Kamala Harris's idea is to make it mandatory for your child to be at school more hours regardless.
My granddaughter does school aftercare, and she's involved in sports and art lesson options offered by the district.
Not 100% opposed to the Senator's idea. Just need to know more.

ALL schools have aftercare now. But not everyone needs to use the option. It seems that Kamala Harris's idea is to make it mandatory for your child to be at school more hours regardless.
My granddaughter does school aftercare, and she's involved in sports and art lesson options offered by the district.
My understanding is that it does not mandate that all children remain at school until 6:00pm. It simply provides funding for schools in low-income districts to remain open for the benefit of students who need aftercare because their parents work. It's the same type of aftercare that is already available in more affluent districts.

I have no objection to this idea, but one potential unintended consequence is going to be the challenge of determining which districts qualify for the funding. Districts that were already offering the aftercare but can just barely afford it might decide they want a piece of the federal funding pie.

Give someone else even more time to shape your child.
Why bother to procreate ?

Makes sense...more time for progressive indoctrination.
“Progressive indoctrination” apparently means being literate and understanding the Constitution these. More education = less Trump’s elected. Good for our country.
My understanding is that it does not mandate that all children remain at school until 6:00pm. It simply provides funding for schools in low-income districts to remain open for the benefit of students who need aftercare because their parents work. It's the same type of aftercare that is already available in more affluent districts.

I have no objection to this idea, but one potential unintended consequence is going to be the challenge of determining which districts qualify for the funding. Districts that were already offering the aftercare but can just barely afford it might decide they want a piece of the federal funding pie.
You introduced the people above you in this thread to the facts, that counter their hysterical ramblings...good luck with that.

Reactions: BelemNole
Not mandatory- don’t be like trad.

Reactions: goldmom
I think she's on to something here.

09b809ad2cc38f774142faedf4bf730433d43f0c5b9772cce50f6347d8be390b.jpg

Did any of you read the bill or the news release?

This is nothing more than expanded after care programs. Nothing is “mandatory” (I’m curious what’s considered mandatory attendance in elementary school anyways).

I think it’s a good idea. It’s really damn hard raising kids as an educated 2-parent wealthy family. I cannot imagine being a single parent, working a crappy job, paycheck to paycheck and trying to raise children. I would think this would be a huge help to make someone a better parent and employee

Did any of you read the bill or the news release?

This is nothing more than expanded after care programs. Nothing is “mandatory” (I’m curious what’s considered mandatory attendance in elementary school anyways).

I think it’s a good idea. It’s really damn hard raising kids as an educated 2-parent wealthy family. I cannot imagine being a single parent, working a crappy job, paycheck to paycheck and trying to raise children. I would think this would be a huge help to make someone a better parent and employee

Do you have any idea how many private aftercare programs this would put of business? How many day care workers will be unemployed?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT