ADVERTISEMENT

It's Coming

Aug 17, 2007
NCAA Div 1 Women's wrestling is coming. Major NCAA Div 1 programs are already starting the process through their RTC's to be ready for the official green light. Look for IOWA to be one of the first ones and to go ALL IN. Terry Steiner as the head coach. This will only make IOWA wrestling and the Hawkeye Wrestling Club twice as big and twice as powerful.

This is a bit long, but bear with me, please . . .

First and foremost, props to HWC for being a leader in women's wrestling. I see it as a real pioneer in growing this faction of the sport.

From a pure business side of things, I imagine it has to be difficult to balance funding and program development proportionately between the genders. That is, for donations and other funding that is not earmarked, what is the formula for deciding whether the next resident athlete to be funded will be a man or a woman?

I think this is a potentially intriguing question as it relates to strategy among the RTCs, and how we are now linking collegiate team success so concretely with power and quality of the local RTC. On the one hand, you have the HWC with relatively high female representation, and on the other you have the NLWC with none. Both clubs are associated with highly successful collegiate teams that compete intensely on recruiting.

If one does believe RTC depth and success directly influence success in collegiate recruiting, to what degree do club managers allow college recruiting needs to influence their decisions on how to appropriate funds for new resident athletes at the club? And how much might gender work itself into that equation as women's wrestling grows across the country?

The question has been asked several times how such a well-funded RTC as the NLWC cannot seem to afford a women's program. Joking aside, it makes me wonder whether it is an intentional strategy to be held until such time that women's wrestling comes to Penn State in an official NCAA capacity. Until then, it might make more business sense to sign as many men as possible to help maximize recruiting for the college team.

The flip side of that, however, is that programs like the HWC could be seen as ahead of the curve on women's wrestling and, consequently, will have instant success at the NCAA level, which can only draw more positive attention to the Iowa Hawkeye Wrestling programs as a whole. The men's team could benefit from that indirectly.

If you are running a RTC, how do you balance funds between the genders?

First and foremost, props to HWC for being a leader in women's wrestling. I see it as a real pioneer in growing this faction of the sport.

From a pure business side of things, I imagine it has to be difficult to balance funding and program development proportionately between the genders. That is, for donations and other funding that is not earmarked, what is the formula for deciding whether the next resident athlete to be funded will be a man or a woman?

I think this is a potentially intriguing question as it relates to strategy among the RTCs, and how we are now linking collegiate team success so concretely with power and quality of the local RTC. On the one hand, you have the HWC with relatively high female representation, and on the other you have the NLWC with none. Both clubs are associated with highly successful collegiate teams that compete intensely on recruiting.

If one does believe RTC depth and success directly influence success in collegiate recruiting, to what degree do club managers allow college recruiting needs to influence their decisions on how to appropriate funds for new resident athletes at the club? And how much might gender work itself into that equation as women's wrestling grows across the country?

The question has been asked several times how such a well-funded RTC as the NLWC cannot seem to afford a women's program. Joking aside, it makes me wonder whether it is an intentional strategy to be held until such time that women's wrestling comes to Penn State in an official NCAA capacity. Until then, it might make more business sense to sign as many men as possible to help maximize recruiting for the college team.

The flip side of that, however, is that programs like the HWC could be seen as ahead of the curve on women's wrestling and, consequently, will have instant success at the NCAA level, which can only draw more positive attention to the Iowa Hawkeye Wrestling programs as a whole. The men's team could benefit from that indirectly.

Bigger question, what does the Mormon religion think of women’s wrestling?

Why balance it at all? Deploy your limited assets in the most efficient way possible to achieve your organization's objectives.

A few thoughts:

Though I trust the powers that be at the HWC it would be nice if they laid out a philosophy or mission statement on this issue when it comes to donations. I think that would help for some people. Maybe they have and I'm not aware of it.

I don't think less of the NLWC for not having female members. It wouldn't bother me if the same was true for the HWC.

I think it's great that women's wrestling is growing in popularity. It probably only helps the men's side. I would also think it was great if Iowa had an NCAA womens program.

All that said, the sport itself isn't my cup of tea. Not sure I would walk across the street to watch a women's wrestling dual or event. That said, my opinion might change someday.

Reactions: Ski and WesternPA
A few thoughts:

Though I trust the powers that be at the HWC it would be nice if they laid out a philosophy or mission statement on this issue when it comes to donations. I think that would help for some people. Maybe they have and I'm not aware of it.

I don't think less of the NLWC for not having female members. It wouldn't bother me if the same was true for the HWC.

I think it's great that women's wrestling is growing in popularity. It probably only helps the men's side. I would also think it was great if Iowa had an NCAA womens program.

All that said, the sport itself isn't my cup of tea. Not sure I would walk across the street to watch a women's wrestling dual or event. That said, my opinion might change someday.

You are not a inner circle member, why do you care?

Not that it is any of your business, or at all relevant...

I have been, and continue to be, a HWC donor. Donors aren't automatically inner circle members.

It is good form for nonprofits to be as concise and transparent as possible on issues like this. Again, it doesn't really make a difference to me but I think it would benefit the club overall.

Reactions: nearfall2
A few thoughts:

I get it because I used to feel like that as well. By the time a guy gets to the Hawks, we have probably followed him for at least a few years...some, especially Iowa kids, since their freshman year. We don't have that type of investment in the females...yet.

But the gals in our club are damn good and they have improved immensely since coming over. My preconceived thought was that watching women wrestle was going to be like watching the WNBA...but it's not. They get after it.

Fun fact: Alli Ragan has wins over Tommy Gantt and Lavion Mayes.

I have been, and continue to be, a HWC donor. Donors aren't automatically inner circle members.

It is good form for nonprofits to be as concise and transparent as possible on issues like this. Again, it doesn't really make a difference to me but I think it would benefit the club overall.

Love you too ;)

Love you too ;)

Just miss your fire

I was a wrestler I am a wrestling fan through and through, I do not have any sons I have one daughter she is a wrestler and I treat her as such. We come from a wrestling family and have been wrestling in the US since the 1940’s. If my daughter competes at the college level it would be my honor and my dream to watch her compete for the IOWA Hawkeyes.

Ps - I would plan on moving to Iowa and I hope there is some good fishing holes you guys could hook me up with.

If my daughter competes at the college level it would be my honor and my dream to watch her compete for the IOWA Hawkeyes.

Ps - I would plan on moving to Iowa and I hope there is some good fishing holes you guys could hook me up with.

If I were you, I'd start fishing HERE.

:D

A few thoughts:

Agree, I think the posters questioning finances are right on. I dont mind women’s wrestling and think it’s great, but when I donate to HWC, I want it to goto the men. Even if I were to specify men (like I do in my I club donation), that just means someone else’s donation will goto the women. I think it’s a legit question. How do they decide? Really better off having separate wrestling clubs.

Agree, I think the posters questioning finances are right on. I dont mind women’s wrestling and think it’s great, but when I donate to HWC, I want it to goto the men. Even if I were to specify men (like I do in my I club donation), that just means someone else’s donation will goto the women. I think it’s a legit question. How do they decide? Really better off having separate wrestling clubs.
If you were to specify that in your HWC donation, I hope that they would not honor it. The goal of the HWC is to support wrestlers in reaching their world and Olympic dreams. The leadership of the club has determined, wisely imo, that means men and women. You don’t want to support the women, don’t support the club.

I was a wrestler I am a wrestling fan through and through, I do not have any sons I have one daughter she is a wrestler and I treat her as such. We come from a wrestling family and have been wrestling in the US since the 1940’s. If my daughter competes at the college level it would be my honor and my dream to watch her compete for the IOWA Hawkeyes.

You want to go out with my sister too?

Reactions: Grip220
If you were to specify that in your HWC donation, I hope that they would not honor it. The goal of the HWC is to support wrestlers in reaching their world and Olympic dreams. The leadership of the club has determined, wisely imo, that means men and women. You don’t want to support the women, don’t support the club.

Is it? The closest thing the HWC has to a mission or purpose statement specifically mentions males.

I don't necessarily agree with the POV of @drunkengoat but it does underscore that these things do have value. It is especially important to be clear and transparent at this time, IMHO.

LOL! That's great advice coming from a Cyclone. I'm sure all of your contributions to the Hawkeye Wrestling Club certainly weren't earmarked for a specific gender, since you're clearly above such a travesty. LOL!

LOL! That's great advice coming from a Cyclone. I'm sure all of your contributions to the Hawkeye Wrestling Club certainly weren't earmarked for a specific gender, since you're clearly above such a travesty. LOL!
No, earmarked mine for only the Caucasian athletes, because we get to pick and choose that way.

Reactions: el dub
Is it? The closest thing the HWC has to a mission or purpose statement specifically mentions males.

I don't necessarily agree with the POV of @drunkengoat but it does underscore that these things do have value. It is especially important to be clear and transparent at this time, IMHO.
Really, please post that. I didn’t see it on the website. Here is what I saw,

Since its inception in 1973, the focus of Hawkeye Wrestling Club has always been to provide the training, coaching and resources necessary to help our athletes pursue their dreams of becoming World and Olympic Champions. The money raised through the HWC goes directly to benefit the athletes helping with living expenses, training and traveling needs. Maybe the most important aspect of the HWC is its pursuit in trying to get the best post-collegiate athletes to train with the HWC together in Iowa City to attain the ultimate prize in wrestling… World and Olympic gold medals.

Really, please post that. I didn’t see it on the website. Here is what I saw,

Since its inception in 1973, the focus of Hawkeye Wrestling Club has always been to provide the training, coaching and resources necessary to help our athletes pursue their dreams of becoming World and Olympic Champions. The money raised through the HWC goes directly to benefit the athletes helping with living expenses, training and traveling needs. Maybe the most important aspect of the HWC is its pursuit in trying to get the best post-collegiate athletes to train with the HWC together in Iowa City to attain the ultimate prize in wrestling… World and Olympic gold medals.

There are very few who can deny the sense of pride felt when one of our nation’s athletes stands atop the podium on the world stage, with a gold medal draped around his neck.

There are very few who can deny the sense of pride felt when one of our nation’s athletes stands atop the podium on the world stage, with a gold medal draped around his neck.
lol, u think that is more of a purpose statement than what I posted?

lol, u think that is more of a purpose statement than what I posted?

Not at all. Really isn't the point though. It goes to the point that clear communication and transparency is important when it comes to accepting donations of other people's hard earned money. Very important at this time with the club making so many changes, the landscape of women's wrestling changing, etc.

The opposite is going to become a bigger issue, IMHO. I think you will see some bigger donors line up because of the women. There will be questions that they will need to be prepared to answer, IMHO.

A few thoughts:

I live in the IC area and have bumped into 2-3 HWC members from time to time (Gilman being one of them). When you tell them that you donate to the HWC, see the smile on their face, and feel the grip of their hand when they shakes yours, you don’t need a mission statement. You can feel one a personal level, what difference even a small contribution makes.

I live in the IC area and have bumped into 2-3 HWC members from time to time (Gilman being one of them). When you tell them that you donate to the HWC, see the smile on their face, and feel the grip of their hand when they shakes yours, you don’t need a mission statement. You can feel one a personal level, what difference even a small contribution makes.

That works well for die hards like you and me. But we aren't the type of donor that will take club funding to the next level.

As a Mormon and a Hawkeye fan this is a stupid question. When they are concerned about women’s wrestling I will let you and the rest of Hawkeye nation know.
It's not a stupid question if he suspects that Sanderson won't support women's wrestling because his faith would not approve of it. That seemed to be the implication. Personally, I'm not sure that is the case at all.

NCAA Div 1 Women's wrestling is coming. Major NCAA Div 1 programs are already starting the process through their RTC's to be ready for the official green light. Look for IOWA to be one of the first ones and to go ALL IN. Terry Steiner as the head coach. This will only make IOWA wrestling and the Hawkeye Wrestling Club twice as big and twice as powerful.

Check the posting date.

I told you so.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT