ADVERTISEMENT

It's like they revel in douchebaggery......

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
Is this a huge deal or a scandal or an outrage? Nah. But once again, it's like everyone involved in the Trump administration has some weird compulsion to WANT to look like a-holes.

Pence takes first motorcade on Michigan’s Mackinac Island
POSTED 9:16 AM, SEPTEMBER 23, 2019, BY WQAD DIGITAL TEAM
gettyimages-82119978.jpg

A tour boat speeds past the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, MI on July 28,2008. Motorized vehicles have been prohibited on the island since 1898, with the exception of snowmobiles during winter, emergency vehicles, and service vehicles. Travel on the island is either by foot, bicycle, or horse-drawn carriage. An 8-mile road encircling the island is M-185, the United States’ only state highway without motorized vehicles. Photo by KAREN BLEIER/AFP/Getty Images

MACKINAC ISLAND, Mich. (AP) — Vice President Mike Pence scored a first when he took a motorcade to a speech on Michigan’s picturesque Mackinac Island, drawing some criticism on social media.

Pence took an eight-vehicle motorcade to the island’s Grand Hotel for a speech to the Republican Leadership Conference Saturday. He flew to Michigan, took a helicopter to the small island airport and transferred to vehicles brought by boat the night before.

The Detroit Free Press says it was the first ever motorcade on the island, which has prohibited vehicles since 1898 except for snowmobiles, emergency and service vehicles.

Julia Pulver, a Democratic state Senate candidate in 2018, criticized the motorcade on Twitter, calling it a “huge transgression.”

When President Gerald Ford visited the island in 1975, he travelled by horse-drawn carriage. But supporters of Pence noted security is much tighter now.

Reactions: cigaretteman
My family has vacationed at Mackinac Island and
enjoyed the charm of no cars or trucks there. It
is not a place for political rallies. Instead, it is a
great place to relax and walk to your heart's content.

There are horse drawn carriages and plenty of bicycles
to get around on the Island. VP Pence was a real
clown to come to Mackinac Island and disturb the
peace and serenity. there.

Is this a huge deal or a scandal or an outrage? Nah. But once again, it's like everyone involved in the Trump administration has some weird compulsion to WANT to look like a-holes.

Pence takes first motorcade on Michigan’s Mackinac Island
POSTED 9:16 AM, SEPTEMBER 23, 2019, BY WQAD DIGITAL TEAM
gettyimages-82119978.jpg

A tour boat speeds past the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, MI on July 28,2008. Motorized vehicles have been prohibited on the island since 1898, with the exception of snowmobiles during winter, emergency vehicles, and service vehicles. Travel on the island is either by foot, bicycle, or horse-drawn carriage. An 8-mile road encircling the island is M-185, the United States’ only state highway without motorized vehicles. Photo by KAREN BLEIER/AFP/Getty Images

MACKINAC ISLAND, Mich. (AP) — Vice President Mike Pence scored a first when he took a motorcade to a speech on Michigan’s picturesque Mackinac Island, drawing some criticism on social media.

Pence took an eight-vehicle motorcade to the island’s Grand Hotel for a speech to the Republican Leadership Conference Saturday. He flew to Michigan, took a helicopter to the small island airport and transferred to vehicles brought by boat the night before.

The Detroit Free Press says it was the first ever motorcade on the island, which has prohibited vehicles since 1898 except for snowmobiles, emergency and service vehicles.

Julia Pulver, a Democratic state Senate candidate in 2018, criticized the motorcade on Twitter, calling it a “huge transgression.”

When President Gerald Ford visited the island in 1975, he travelled by horse-drawn carriage. But supporters of Pence noted security is much tighter now.

Seems like they could have safely used a carriage or bike to get him there.

Really though if a group like that wants an important member of the federal government to appear at their event, they probably should have held it elsewhere.

Reactions: torbee
Seriously? I used the Search function for "Pence". If whoever posted this story previously didn't mention the name Pence in it, THEY are the idiot.
I think it’s in the WH tweets thread. So maybe technically not a pepsi.

Reactions: BelemNole
This sounds a lot like something the secret service would have insisted on to allow him to go.

Maybe. I just checked it out to see if a prior president went and found this:

“Pence, who traveled to the island for the Mackinac Republican Leadership Conference, was the first sitting vice president to ever visit the island, according to the Detroit Free Press. However, former presidents Harry Truman, John F. Kennedy, Gerald Ford, George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton all visited the island while respecting its 121-year prohibition on cars, according to HuffPost. Ford, the only sitting president to visit the island, rode around in a horse-drawn carriage, though the secret service did stash a car on the island in case of an emergency.”

Maybe. I just checked it out to see if a prior president went and found this:

“Pence, who traveled to the island for the Mackinac Republican Leadership Conference, was the first sitting vice president to ever visit the island, according to the Detroit Free Press. However, former presidents Harry Truman, John F. Kennedy, Gerald Ford, George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton all visited the island while respecting its 121-year prohibition on cars, according to HuffPost. Ford, the only sitting president to visit the island, rode around in a horse-drawn carriage, though the secret service did stash a car on the island in case of an emergency.”

Ford was over 40 years ago....I assume there have been a lot of security changes since then.

This sounds a lot like something the secret service would have insisted on to allow him to go.
I agree. In which came some PR person should have raised a red flag and they shouldn't have gone to the island. That's just utter incompetence on the part of people who are being paid to see that this kind of thing doesn't happen.

Reactions: torbee
My family has vacationed at Mackinac Island and
enjoyed the charm of no cars or trucks there. It
is not a place for political rallies. Instead, it is a
great place to relax and walk to your heart's content.

There are horse drawn carriages and plenty of bicycles
to get around on the Island. VP Pence was a real
clown to come to Mackinac Island and disturb the
peace and serenity. there.
There's nothing more peaceful and serene than the roar of snowmobile engines.

I agree. In which came some PR person should have raised a red flag and they shouldn't have gone to the island. That's just utter incompetence on the part of people who are being paid to see that this kind of thing doesn't happen.
Again, it's just an optics thing.

I don't think this is an outrage at all, but it is literally like traipsing through a person's house who has a sign on their door reading "please remove shoes" with cow-dung clotted boots.

Why CHOOSE to look like elitist assholes to whom the rules don't apply?

Unless that is part of the "brand" you are going for. Which, yikes!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT