ADVERTISEMENT

JaMarcus Russell finds out that life can come at you pretty fast.

What amazes me is playing QB in the NFL is so much more difficult that a great college QB can be awful in NFL.

I assume he didn’t study football too much in college either.
He was simply so talented he'd never had to work at being good.

The difference between a great college QB and a great NFL QB is that the NFL QB realizes talent gets you in the door, but that's not enough.

Vince Young's another example of a supremely talented QB that didn't recognize he could only go so far on talent alone.

Perhaps it was a joke?? Did you watch Iowa football during his years?
Apparently you didn't. We rarely played cover two. Usually some variation of a cover 3 or 4.

In cover 4 out of a 4-3 the lbs take short zone and the 4 dbs each have a deep quarter responsibility.

But we often sort of played it like a matchup zone... CBs would hedge deep but wouldn't just take off deep as soon as the ball was snapped.

The difference between a great college QB and a great NFL QB is that the NFL QB realizes talent gets you in the door, but that's not enough.

Vince Young's another example of a supremely talented QB that didn't recognize he could only go so far on talent alone.
He scored like a 7 on the wonderlic... Big physical talent but...

(Although supposedly Marino had a shot score on that too)

Reactions: sober_teacher
Apparently you didn't. We rarely played cover two. Usually some variation of a cover 3 or 4.

In cover 4 out of a 4-3 the lbs take short zone and the 4 dbs each have a deep quarter responsibility.

But we often sort of played it like a matchup zone... CBs would hedge deep but wouldn't just take off deep as soon as the ball was snapped.

He scored like a 7 on the wonderlic... Big physical talent but...

(Although supposedly Marino had a shot score on that too)
Yeah, the wonderlic is something I've never put a ton of stock in. It'd be more interesting if they actually published the wonderlic for all QBs and we actually got to see everyone's. We only ever seem to hear about them if they do terribly or great.

With Russell playing the entire game, I don’t like our matchup against their recievers
You might be right but Norm was really good at his job. He surprised me many times with how they played against teams that had better athletes. We don't know if Russell would have been capable of changing the plan mid-game if Iowa was doing something to contain him.

Johnny Manziel

You might be right but Norm was really good at his job. He surprised me many times with how they played against teams that had better athletes. We don't know if Russell would have been capable of changing the plan mid-game if Iowa was doing something to contain him.

I thought I was listening to Washed Up Walkons and they had someone on who played in that game and were saying how they visited a children’s hospital earlier that week and saw those dudes and were in aww. (Now that I’m typing this out, I’m not sure it was that LSU squad. It may have been the team we played that had Odell Beckham on it).

Reactions: BioHawk
Yep. It’s plainly obvious.
In cover 2 your corners play a short zone and clean up the flats. We never would have given up all the hitches and 5 yard crap on the outside with a true cover 2 zone.

If you played Madden or the like you would've noticed noticed we didn't play this coverage often at all

cov-2-beater-dia.png

In cover 2 your corners play a short zone and clean up the flats. We never would have given up all the hitches and 5 yard crap on the outside with a true cover 2 zone.

If you played Madden or the like you would've noticed noticed we didn't play this coverage often at all

cov-2-beater-dia.png
The computer would tear this defense apart in Madden.

Reactions: Colonoscopy
The computer would tear this defense apart in Madden.
Just run a bunch of vertical routes and throw to the WR the Safety doesn't commit to. IMO it's an ok situational defense if you know what the offense is going to do or if your pass rush is getting there so quick they don't have time for deep route.

Also a nice change up if the offense gets lulled into thinking the short hitch is always going to be ope. Get a pick.

I agree with Norm though, begging to get torched for a big play

cov-2-beater-dia.png

Iowa's corners usually played well off the LOS in zone defense under Norm. Sometimes not, but usually they did. But, they still played underneath the safeties. Almost all of the time. That is Cover 2 defense. And Phil used the same base for years. He mentions it here.

They're ignorant.

And Parker saying we played two safeties high basically meant he doesn't like to bring them down.

And safeties are always starting up higher than CBs.

The nomenclature around Cover 2 (3 or 4 etc) Just refers to how many people are responsible for deep coverage.

In a true cover two you have two safeties deep and the CBs pass off receivers to said safeties. Meaning you have only two people responsible for deep... Which makes it a risky pass coverage for deep shots and big plays down field which totally antithetical to what Norm wanted.

Our CBs hedged deep and gave up short stuff. You don't do that in a cover 2 - look at the scheme diagram provided.

Which is why the quote attributed to Norm on cover 2 above was accurate.

Cover 2 explained below. (And all over the Internet on football strategy sites)

• Haha
Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
For one thing, the Air Raid offense was still considered a gimmick offense in 2004. For example, only northwestern and Purdue ran what we’d consider “spread” offenses. This also allowed Norm to stick to his 4-3 defense and run it so successfully for so long.

Those offenses are now the norm, to the point that NFL teams are now trying to find ways to develop college quarterbacks who rarely, if ever, take snaps from under center.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT