ADVERTISEMENT

Jan 16, 1993: Chris Street's Last Game as a Hawk (14 pts, 8 Reb at Duke)

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Iowa Basketball‏Verified account@IowaHoops 2h2 hours ago

Chris Street scored 14 points and eight rebounds in his final game at Duke on Jan. 16, 1993.

#Forever40
#CMS40
#Hawkeyes

1f39f.png
: http://hawkeyesports.com/tickets

CLICK ON IMAGE FOR A LARGER VIEW

DTrecdFV4AAMXGd.jpg

He also had scored 33 or so FTs in a row and I recall that tied the Iowa record. Could be wrong about the record.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I remember that game well. A weekend afternoon on CBS. Terrific game but unfortunately the Hawks came up a bit short. Little did we know at the time that it would be the last time we'd see Chris Street. Hard to believe that game was already 25 years ago to the day.

That was a terrific Iowa team. Could have maybe made a run at a Final Four, but...

I was delivering pizza the day he was in the accident. Came into the store and my boss told me that Chris Street has been killed in Iowa City (I was down in O’Fallon, IL)

I was home (Peoria) visiting my parents, friend called and told me. I went outside, snow on the ground. Shot free throws, in shock, on my neighbor's court for a while. Cried. Chris was superhuman to me, and I knew him.

I was a walk-on 1991-92 before transferring. Chris and Paul Lusk often gave me a ride back to Currier (they lived across from Burge).

25 years later, he's still superhuman to me.

I was living in Nebraska and heard about it from a western Iowa radio station. It was a crackling and I thought that I had not heard correctly. I ended up calling home hoping I had misheard the news. I just could not believe it even when my dad told me. My parents were living in Cedar Rapids and it was all over the news. Death sucks.

I was in Philadelphia visiting Penn U. At that time I worked at Center for Computer Aided Design, U of Iowa. TV showed news about his death. On the way back to Iowa City, we had a stopover in Chicago, but our flight to Iowa City was canceled due to ice storm, so we headed to rent a car and drive to I.C. At the car rental bus station, we met coach Hayden Fry and talked to him about Chris for a few minutes.

Chris hit his 33rd and 34th consecutive free throws in that Duke game. Still an Iowa record.

He also had scored 33 or so FTs in a row and I recall that tied the Iowa record. Could be wrong about the record.
th consecutive free throws in that Duke game

I was living in Ames. Watching tv when a ticker ran along the bottom of the screen. I remember it like it was yesterday. I called my Dad and we talked for an hour. At the time, I was a sports editor of the ISU Daily newspaper. The previous month (December) I was in Iowa City covering the Iowa/ISU game. I got to cover the Iowa side and locker room ... I specifically even remember what Chris was wearing after the game. It's cliche ... but gone way too soon. He was a good kid.

My dad was going to Graceland down in Lamoni when Chris was killed, he was one of the first to know outside of Iowa City that Chris had died as he was friends with a former girlfriend of Chris, it was a statewide tragedy.

I was home (Peoria) visiting my parents, friend called and told me. I went outside, snow on the ground. Shot free throws, in shock, on my neighbor's court for a while. Cried. Chris was superhuman to me, and I knew him.

I was a walk-on 1991-92 before transferring. Chris and Paul Lusk often gave me a ride back to Currier (they lived across from Burge).

25 years later, he's still superhuman to me.

I got to know Paul Lusk in later years Chris was incredibly special to him. I still remember my dad waking me up and telling me.. man 25 years ago.. CMS40

I was sitting at home watching TV. I recorded just about every news release on story. I have several recorded news shows on VHS. KIMT actually did a very good highlight reel with music in background.

For the 92-93 school year, was living in a house about 3 blocks east of the President's House, with 6 other guys (a big house). Most of us were home that eve, a cold, snowy night, I was in my room, had KRNA on, and they broke in with news of a car accident involving an Iowa Hawkeye. Met a few of my roommates downstairs, cracked open some cold beers, and stayed glued to the tv for the next several hours.

That of course was the spring semester of 1993 - when you did not leave your residence without taking an umbrella - if it was not raining when you left, it would it some point. Of course 1993 because the 1st of the (now 3) 1,000 year floods to hit Iowa, and the 1st time an entire state had been declared a federal disaster area. That news soon dominated the (not quite yet 24 hour) news cycle, which was kind of a disservice to the memory of Street.

25 years ago. Time does move on quickly. Go Hawks!!!

Sedge

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT