ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Scheel

Originally posted by The Sleeping Dog:
Here is what I perceive to be the problem with the Stone Scheel situation. We are facing, yet again, a nearly complete unknown walk on(complex or otherwise) beating one of the highest regarded recruits on the roster for playing time. That is a story that happens far too often at Iowa. Once in a while, yeah you find a diamond in the rough or some other under the radar fortune, but not nearly as often as it happens at Iowa.

That is a big problem.
You don't sound very smart. You seriously think that a Freshman that redshirted because he was hurt most of the season and has never played WR before should be on a depth chart in January just because he was a good athlete in high school? How about we let him go through spring ball healthy and lets see where he is at after fall camp?

Originally posted by Rocket98:
It's pretty typical of this board. The two positions this board complains about are white guys playing WR and Safety. Interesting, black or white the two guys we heard most coming out of bowl prep were Stone and Snyder. I guess we haven't heard of Pagel, Considine, Kasper, or Dwight.
Stop. Just stop.

Pagel - 13 years ago
Considine - 11 years ago
Kasper - 14 years ago
Dwight - 18 years ago

These guys aren't walking through the door and nobody on the current team resembles them.

What Kirk has done with Iowa recruiting in the past few years is almost criminal.

Here is what I perceive to be the problem with the Stone Scheel situation. We are facing, yet again, a nearly complete unknown walk on(complex or otherwise) beating one of the highest regarded recruits on the roster for playing time. That is a story that happens far too often at Iowa. Once in a while, yeah you find a diamond in the rough or some other under the radar fortune, but not nearly as often as it happens at Iowa.

That is a big problem.
Just wait until next fall to make that assertion...I'm sure it won't hold water.

We here all the time we're supposed to recruit Junior College players. Stone had 60 receptions and 10 TD's his soph year at IW in which they won the national title. He was their best receiver. Waters, who played with him said he was underrecruited and will make someone very happy. The downside as we found in Powell as well is that JUCO kids are here and gone so quickly. I'm hearing stuff on this board that Snyder turned more heads than any freshman. Yes, I know his offers were only from NDSU, SDSU, and UNI. Funny how when the David Johnsons excel at that level, posters cry "why didn't we offer him"? Stone, MVB, and Snyder will be difference makers next year in our program.

I saw Snyder play basketball while he was in high school and the kid is a good athlete. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he was Iowa's next white walk-on safety success story. Especially if he truely is 6-1 190 as the roster says. I didn't remember him being that big.

Originally posted by Rocket98:
Someone told me he is still growing. I heard he is more like 6'2" 210?
If that's true and he kept his speed and quickness there is a reason he was giving Iowa's offense fits on the scout team.

Time will tell on Jay Scheel. I don't know where any one player should be on the depth chart. I do know that Iowa has had a significant number of highly ranked recruits get beat out by less heralded guys, including walk ons.

I doubt very much if any competitive kid doesn't care where they appear on a depth chart. I also know that a four star recruit is more likely to be a quality player than a JUCO walk on.

And Whatsup......what is up? We're talking football and theories. No reason to get personal brother; its a road better left untraveled.
This post was edited on 2/11 9:16 PM by The Sleeping Dog

I hope Scheel lives up to his 4 Star status. What you and the "Star Rating People" need to realize is he was given a 4 star without them ever seeing him play WR. Stone played WR in hs, 2 years at JUCO, and one year at Iowa. There's more to playing WR than running. Why wouldn't the NFL just take the Olympic track sprinters and make them footballers? It would shock me if Scheel beats out Stone coming out of fall camp. I'll assure you that everyone will be crying that Coach plays his favorites!

That is a big problem.
It's only a problem to fans. The best example I can think of this issue is when Brett Greenwood beat out Cedric Everson. Fans were upside down. People bitched about Greenwood continually....then little by little we figured out that Greenwood was legit. Then he got hurt, missed a few games, and we really saw how good he was. Then he got a very solid shot in the NFL and the fan-base finally got it figured out. In this case he was simply better than a four star recruit. I remember thinking that WI couldn't seriously be putting a white walk-on receiver on the field. He was on another team and he still carried that "stigma" of being a walk-on. He turned out to be pretty good. Interestingly, there is a comparative situation in the NFL - the undrafted free agent. And Seattle had 2 of them in their starting line-up - and they "beat out" Percy Harvin (I understand there were other issues....that was tongue-in-cheek). But the point is that players beating out highly regarded recruits/draftees happens all the time and is not a "problem", in and of itself. Except trying to figure out why the more highly regarded player went bust can be problematic (Hoyer > Manziel for example).

the thing is Scheel just might end up the backup to King this fall as a CB. before starting at the CB spot in 2 years after King graduates, Draper will be a SR this fall and as far as I know nobody has really stepped up to be that solid #2 guy, Draper is a very good nickel back,

Mabin was a WR out of FLA that is now the starting CB opposite of King, Scheel is listed as a ATH not a WR specifically so him becoming a DB would not surprise me or others. the best part is his 6'1 4.47 40 can be put to good use at the CB spot and I would like to see him get a shot at PR's or KR's.

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

the thing is Scheel just might end up the backup to King this fall as a CB. before starting at the CB spot in 2 years after King graduates, Draper will be a SR this fall and as far as I know nobody has really stepped up to be that solid #2 guy, Draper is a very good nickel back,

Mabin was a WR out of FLA that is now the starting CB opposite of King, Scheel is listed as a ATH not a WR specifically so him becoming a DB would not surprise me or others. the best part is his 6'1 4.47 40 can be put to good use at the CB spot and I would like to see him get a shot at PR's or KR's.
There is absolutely no evidence that says he will be switching to CB. Scheel is listed as a WR by Iowa.

My concern isn't with Scheel, per se. Of course there are imponderables about every recruit. Recruiting rankings and ratings are just projections. All of that is generally true. I also am not quarreling about the current depth chart. I know its February.

It is also true that almost every program has a few walk ons or lesser reputed recruits that come out of nowhere to be starters and really good players. My problem is two fold.

First, we don't get that many four and five star recruits. Second, it appears that an improbably high number of such highly recruited players get beaten out for field time by walk ons or other lesser reputed recruits.

If the BIH were winning 8-10 games a season this wouldn't be an issue, but they aren't winning 8-10 games a year. We've had two 8 win season in the last five years, two seven win seasons and a four win season. Hence its hard to have review the coaching decisions as invariably correct.

Take the two cases of Nic Shimonek and Derrick Willies. Our quarterbacking and wide out play was poor. Willies looked a whole lot more talented, maybe not as developed but certainly more talented than any of our other guys at the position. But they were playing. Shimonek (who I've never seen play) surely thought he could out perform our existing players at the position. We are simply losing too many of our most highly recruited players.

It is a fair concern. Up through Clayborn/Ballard/Bulaga, I thought that our 4/5 star recruits for the most part turned out to be star players. Of course there were exceptions (Christensen) and injuries (Doering, Richardson), but in general if we got a 4/5 star they had an early impact and were very good players. We have not had as many 4/5 stars meet that description the last couple of years. Some of that is RB attrition (I think Wegher and Coker would have been stars if they had stayed). Fiedorowicz was good, but his Iowa career was not spectacular. Ryan Ward has not had much of an impact yet. Iowa does need its top recruits to be good players.

Of course, neither Shimonek nor Willies were 4 star recruits. Both were 5.5 3 star guys. Rudock and Beathard were both rated (slightly) higher than Shimonek as recruits.

I do hope to see a new WR step up this spring/fall. I don't have a problem with VandeBerg and Stone, but I am hopeful that Derrick Mitchell, Andre Harris or one of the freshmen makes a significant contribution.

David other posters brought up the topic about Scheel at DB not me, I was simply speculating. these have not even played yet that are listed as WR's as well that have.

SR Smith
RSSO Harris
RSSO Mitchell
RSSR Hillyer 6'4
RSSO Keane
RSJR McCarron
SR Stone a JUCO transferr uou know kids that KF doesn't bother with according to augie boy
JR Vandeberg
RSFR yet to even be used in the spring game Bishop

these were just signed
Smith a TX top 100
Ogwo out of TX
Falconer out of FLA

then we have RSFR Scheel who nobody has seen and was a ATH coming in these were highly rated players in HS that were switched by KF after they got into camp

4* Ballard was a TE switched to DE then finished his career as a DT
4* Roth was a LB switched to DE
4* Edds by 2 other sites was a TE moved to LB
4* Fleming by ESPN listed as a DB the coaches wanted him as a WR but he wanted to play CB
not all switches work or work out like the coaches want.
4* Derby wanted to be a QB and ended up being a TE at Arkansas.
4* Coe never made it because of grades. at IA or ISU.
when it comes to walkons or the lower rated kids go, they usually come in with a chip on their should to prove the other schools made a mistake by not offering and work harder, than the higher rated players.

Didn't we have a couple of guys in 05 not pan out. A remember a big time offensive lineman.

We are going to need a lot better play at QB and WR if the team is to improve. The schedule is harder (harder road games) and we again lost what were clearly our best players to graduation(ish).

these were the ones that did not pan out in that class of 2005
4* RB Baily out of FLA never could remember what happened to him
4* DT Bain out of ILL left came in with the attitude of he deserved to start, BUST
4* QB JC out of ILL a lot wanted to tar and feather him
5* OL Doering out of ILL Injuries kept him from fully developing still a good player
4* OL Eubanks had a very good career
4* TE Moeaki good career but a injury filled career in the NFL and the injury bug still follows him
4* DT Kanellis out of IA injuries ended his career
4* OL Richardson injuries but he did have a good enough career where he got a shot at the NFL

not many in that class worked out like people hoped as far as the highly rated kids goes.

but these were some of the lower rated kids that did
RB Greene 2* in 2004 then a 3* when he came in after a year at Milford
OL Calloway 5.5 3*
LB Angerer 5.5 3* out of IA
OL Yanda NR 3* out of IA bv way of a JUCO in Mason City NIACC. which I believe is now IWCC, could use some help on that one,

Makes me sick that we are talking about getting this kid 0-5 touches a game. His arm strength and delivery are good enough for college and for our run first offense. A QB like him is exactly what this offense needs. He is a Brad Banks in waiting and we just can't see it. If he were at Nebraska or KSU or any other number if schools that don't judge QB by appearance he would be a star at QB

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT