ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Brohm Discusses how IOWA & Wisconsin Defended David Bell

Crazy to think that in Purdue's last 5 games, 4 teams held them to exactly 13 points.

Notre Dame (13-27)
Illinois (13-9)
Minnesota (13-20)
Wisconsin (13-30)

Iowa, of course, give up 24 to them.
Fran
I have already posted this a couple times. ☺

Another situation I couldn't believe (not sure why because I have seen it for years) is that on 3rd and 3 from our 9 yard line, our DB and linebackers were giving a 5 yard cushion against Purdue. That's basically a guaranteed first down for the vast majority of D1 QBs. Of course they scored a TD a couple plays later.
Nothing drives me more crazy than seeing this regardless of field position. 3rd and 5...10 yard cushion, easy pitch and catch!! What... are we expecting an overthrow/tipped pass/penalty? NW and Dan Persa used to do this yearly from 2011-2014!!

Or, 3rd and whatever and no LBs, etc in middle of field. You KNOW the QB is going to run after a pump fake or pitch, presnap its evident however in face he does and just gets the first down by six inches...of course!

Cue the Terell Pryor 4th and 15 run from circa 2010/2011...ok, now I'm mad again....

He had a fraction of the time against Wisconsin that he had against Iowa.
That’s because Wisconsin was sending two backers up the middle into the face of the the Purdue qb and he is slow at shiat but Iowa just sits back and lets him carve up ten yard drops by the db’s. Stupid game plan. Don’t let him get comfortable.

Blitz and play press coverage and he has no where to go with it or just throws it up and that’s when you get the interception or two. Parker had a bad game plan for a slow terrible qb that allowed him to look like an all star.

That’s because Wisconsin was sending two backers up the middle into the face of the the Purdue qb and he is slow at shiat but Iowa just sits back and lets him carve up ten yard drops by the db’s. Stupid game plan. Don’t let him get comfortable.

Blitz and play press coverage and he has no where to go with it or just throws it up and that’s when you get the interception or two. Parker had a bad game plan for a slow terrible qb that allowed him to look like an all star.
I think Wisconsin's base 3-4 confused the Purdue OLine in terms of blocking assignments. I wish Iowa would switch into that on occasion to give the opponent another thing to think about. Not doubling Bell was probably a bigger mistake but the QB had plenty of time to let him break free as well.

Part of the reason we may not have had as much safety help as we all would have liked to see is because our safeties had TWO corners to help, not just one. They had to help (primarily) Hankins on Bell, but they also were almost certainly coached all week to keep an eye on Roberts in place of Moss on the other side. So it was a little bit of pick your poison. Wisconsin did not have to worry about the other side of the field (opposite wherever Bell lined up) so they could slant their coverage his way most of the day. That plus their DL actually got pressure and their LBs (in concert with their DL) bottled up the QB runs.

We are ranked #9 right now so how much complaining is even warranted?
Yes, a solid fact, but when you should be undefeated yet lost to a mediocre Purdue team, I do believe some criticism is warranted. Add to that the fact that Iowa is just about LAST IN THE NATION in offense and, well, complaining seems required. My gawd. Being 6-1 when you should be 7-0 is a problem if your goal really is to be a national power. Think Nick Saban is happy because Alabama has only lost one game all season? LOL

I would have liked to see them mix it up some on 3rd down to have the corner jam Bell at the line and play a press coverage with outside leverage. With safety help over the top it isn't like it will be an automatic touchdown, but more than anything it may disrupt the line of sight of the quarterback and/or take away his first progression. Especially if you can shade the OLB play side over that way to take away that slant By playing so far off the ball all the time is just too easy.

Reactions: mikesright
Yes, a solid fact, but when you should be undefeated yet lost to a mediocre Purdue team, I do believe some criticism is warranted. Add to that the fact that Iowa is just about LAST IN THE NATION in offense and, well, complaining seems required. My gawd. Being 6-1 when you should be 7-0 is a problem if your goal really is to be a national power. Think Nick Saban is happy because Alabama has only lost one game all season? LOL
sheesh, speaking of bama.....sounds more like a bama(or even worse, a nebby) fan than a hawk!

cmon now....

Smartest post on this entire thread yet people like Frantheman can't see the forest through the trees.

Most teams on any given day would be thrilled to have their defense give up just 24 points. We do (we haven't given up more than that now since the 2018 season) and we still lose by 17 to a very average football team. Brian could be entitled to a pass if his offensive genius wasn't so average at best most every game day-- but, it is and we see it regularly.

dumbest post in the entire thread

Actually, it's people like you who can't see the forest thru the trees.

dumbest post in the entire thread

Actually, it's people like you who can't see the forest thru the trees.
Your posts daily is what gives me entertainment on this board. You need to stay away from the idol worship. Even Fran and Brian would be embarrassed.

Your posts daily is what gives me entertainment on this board. You need to stay away from the idol worship. Even Fran and Brian would be embarrassed.

are*

give*

And it's a horribly worded sentence to begin with.

We know you don't know much about anything, but, in general, how stupid are you?

Actually, don't answer. We already know.

are*

give*

And it's a horribly worded sentence to begin with.

We know you don't know much about anything, but, in general, how stupid are you?

Actually, don't answer. We already know.
LOL, I got Franny's panties in a bunch this morning. His hero worship of two coaches he doesn't even know is getting the best of him. C'mon Franny, it's ok-- hug that black and gold teddy bear and continue your hero worship. Your posts are clueless and are only good for entertainment sake. You're the gift that keeps on giving.

LOL, I got Franny's panties in a bunch this morning. His hero worship of two coaches he doesn't even know is getting the best of him. C'mon Franny, it's ok-- hug that black and gold teddy bear and continue your hero worship. Your posts are clueless and are only good for entertainment sake. You're the gift that keeps on giving.

LOL

I am actually enjoying this.

I am sure everyone else is, too.

Nevertheless, you and your clueless posts are anything but a gift to this forum.

LOL

I am actually enjoying this.

I am sure everyone else is, too.

Nevertheless, you and your clueless posts are anything but a gift to this forum.
I am actually enjoying this as are others too. Nothing worse than a grown man and his hero worship of coaches that would even be embarrassed at the fawning.

I am actually enjoying this as are others too. Nothing worse than a grown man and his hero worship of coaches that would even be embarrassed at the fawning.

LOL Are you really?

I am sure you are a treat in the Lounge. I bet they eat you alive.

And when you get run off from the Lounge, you show up here, further embarrassing yourself.

Now where will you run off to? To your mommy?

LOL

Thanks for the laughs, Clown.

LOL Are you really?

I am sure you are a treat in the Lounge. I bet they eat you alive.

And when you get run off from the Lounge, you show up here, further embarrassing yourself.

Now where will you run off to? To your mommy?

LOL

Thanks for the laughs, Clown.
LOL, still have your panties in a bunch huh? I'm in your head this bad now? In the Lounge I discuss Iowa sports with people far more intelligent than you are and actually not in so deep with the hero worship as you are.

I never realized an innocent mention of you yesterday would turn you so upside down. Damn, you that unstable? Did I strike a nerve ?

Thanks fir the laughs clown.

LOL, still have your panties in a bunch huh? I'm in your head this bad now? In the Lounge I discuss Iowa sports with people far more intelligent than you are and actually not in so deep with the hero worship as you are.

I never realized an innocent mention of you yesterday would turn you so upside down. Damn, you that unstable? Did I strike a nerve ?

Thanks fir the laughs clown.

*for

LOL

I called you a Clown and you continue to post like a clown. And then you can't come up with anything intelligent to say so you call me a clown. Good one! Good grief. At least you are consistently bad at posting.

Stop hyperventilating, learn how to spell, and go see your mommy; she'll take good care of you, Clown.

• Haha
Reactions: frydaze
*for

LOL

I called you a Clown and you continue to post like a clown. And then you can't come up with anything intelligent to say so you call me a clown. Good one! Good grief. At least you are consistently bad at posting.

Stop hyperventilating, learn how to spell, and go see your mommy; she'll take good care of you, Clown.
You just keep coming back for more dont you clown? You just can't leave. LOL, again, all this over-reaction from you based on an innocent laugh at your post yesterday. You always get this unhinged? Keep it coming Franny.

You just keep coming back for more dont you clown? You just can't leave. LOL, again, all this over-reaction from you based on an innocent laugh at your post yesterday. You always get this unhinged? Keep it coming Franny.

*don't

You seem stable.

Not.

In all seriousness, go see your mommy.

LOL, Keep it coming.

GrouchyDamagedDairycow-size_restricted.gif

Bad defensive game plan.

Bad defensive half time adjustments.

Bad defensive everything.

I can understand not doing this at the beginning, but as he continued to torch us, there is no excuse for us not making in game adjustments. I sure as hell hope the adjustment wasn’t made due to the simple minded thought that our DB’s needed to execute better. That sure seems to be the go to on our offense all the time.

Reactions: ichawks
Smartest post on this entire thread yet people like Frantheman can't see the forest through the trees.

Most teams on any given day would be thrilled to have their defense give up just 24 points. We do (we haven't given up more than that now since the 2018 season) and we still lose by 17 to a very average football team. Brian could be entitled to a pass if his offensive genius wasn't so average at best most every game day-- but, it is and we see it regularly.
Smartest post...yet you both think BF is getting a pass??? What posts have you been reading? Just this one??

I couldn't actually get through the whole thread but I'm absolutely shocked at the amount of complaints. Wasn't a great day for our D, but if you watched we did try different things. Phil is literally one of the best in the game, if anyone on here really thinks they could have done any better they can live in that delusion. Our off day was 24 points. There isn't a coach or scheme I would trade ours for in all of college football. One game of not being absolutely great and some of you lose your minds.

What has happened on this board in the last 10 days, to make you think he is given a pass.
The fact that the offense cannot even be discussed without someone piping in about how the defense couldn't x,y,z. We scored 7 points in 5 trips to the Redbone and look at this very thread. WE GAVE UP 24 POINTS look around.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT