ADVERTISEMENT

Jess Settles calling for all Iowa fans

Bought my tickets the minute they were available to I-Club members in the fall. To think how many are still available with the season these guys have put together is difficult to understand. I realize that there are a number of factors, but even with the fluctuations in fan support for this program, I never thought I’d see the day when our former stars had to beg fans to buy tickets to watch their ranked team play MSU.

Bought my tickets the minute they were available to I-Club members in the fall. To think how many are still available with the season these guys have put together is difficult to understand. I realize that there are a number of factors, but even with the fluctuations in fan support for this program, I never thought I’d see the day when our former stars had to beg fans to buy tickets to watch their ranked team play MSU.
I understand what you are saying and kudos for going ... Iowa basketball has been down and one good season isn't instantly going to win back every fan. Enjoy the ride. It's been a fun season ... And let's hope we beat Sparty. The best thing Iowa basketball can do to bring back fans is win ... win this year ... win next year ... develop consistency ...

I had football and basketball season tickets for decades. I was among the 35,000 who saw Iowa lose to MSU to complete an 0-11 football season in 1973. I was in the Field House in the 70s to watch some of the worst basketball in Iowa history under Dick Schultz. But this is now, and now is a different ball game.

Reality is what it is. And as we note on here from time to time, the random/early starting times, days of the week, horrible weather, the generally weak Carver atmosphere and corporate pandering, and amazing HD TV make going to a game an entirely different proposition than it was back in the day.

It would be awesome to have MSU coming into the Field House like they did when Lute was around, or even into Carver when Dr. Tom was running the show. But those days are gone, and there's no reason to believe they'll ever return.

The 6:00 game time excludes most fans outside the CR-Iowa City area. Most people have jobs. And then add the reality that it could be 15 or 20 degrees BELOW ZERO getting to and going from the game, well, WOW. That's dangerous stuff. What if your car won't start after the game? What if you get frostbite making the walk from the parking lots?

I wish there would be 15,500 crazy fans there tomorrow night, but I don't think that's realistic.

What is more realistic is to encourage those who do show up to scream their hearts out and make up for all those who would love to be there but who simply can't. That's the reality. It ain't pretty, but it is what it is. Now I hope the Hawkeyes will play their hearts out and reward their fans with a good old-fashioned whippin' of the Izzos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some work left to do.
4udxfc.png

2d00wg1.png

Reactions: taHawkeyes
I had football and basketball season tickets for decades. I was among the 35,000 who saw Iowa lose to MSU to complete an 0-11 football season in 1973. I was in the Field House in the 70s to watch some of the worst basketball in Iowa history under Dick Schultz. But this is now, and now is a different ball game.

Reality is what it is. And as we note on here from time to time, the random/early starting times, days of the week, horrible weather, the generally weak Carver atmosphere and corporate pandering, and amazing HD TV make going to a game an entirely different proposition than it was back in the day.

It would be awesome to have MSU coming into the Field House like they did when Lute was around, or even into Carver when Dr. Tom was running the show. But those days are gone, and there's no reason to believe they'll ever return.

The 6:00 game time excludes most fans outside the CR-Iowa City area. Most people have jobs. And then add the reality that it could be 15 or 20 degrees BELOW ZERO getting to and going from the game, well, WOW. That's dangerous stuff. What if your car won't start after the game? What if you get frostbite making the walk from the parking lots?

I wish there would be 15,500 crazy fans there tomorrow night, but I don't think that's realistic.

What is more realistic is to encourage those who do show up to scream their hearts out and make up for all those who would love to be there but who simply can't. That's the reality. It ain't pretty, but it is what it is. Now I hope the Hawkeyes will play their hearts out and reward their fans with a good old-fashioned whippin' of the Izzos.

This x infinity. It took awhile to deflate the fan base, will take a lot to win them back. I will say, kudos to the marketing dept for trying something unique and different, now fix the in-game experience and we’ll talk.

The 6:00 game time excludes most fans outside the CR-Iowa City area. Most people have jobs. .

Lets face it. If the tip time were at 8 pm, fans would be bitching that they would not get home at a decent hour & would not get to bed until midnight & that would mess up their kids and their routine for Friday.

It does not matter what the start time is. Iowa fans will have a problem with it and make excuses for why its prohibitive for them to attend.

What was special when Dr Tom was around? i can remember MSU running us out of the gym with the style of ball we played. We were ok with his press if the team wasn't very good but if they were good they would go through us like butter.

The student section people need to do what they did a few years ago....have a pre-game party at one of the bars...all while providing transportation from the dorms-->bars-->CHA-->dorms.

Show your ticket to the game at the bar and provide outstanding drink specials. If you can't fill the student section you might as well have the ones there that are drink and going crazy.

Reactions: dawgs_04
The student section will be full.

Fans hate weekday games. That’s why we drew more fans for Savannah State than Iowa State.

Great post!

Reactions: onionman1
There’s got to be more excuses than a weekday game, 6:00 start, it’s cold out, etc.

I’ll try to think of another one for people to not go.
So you think it's realistic for people with families who work until 5:00 to be able to make a 6:00 pm tip? I know you don't really believe that, but I get it that it's fun to make posts like that.

So you think it's realistic for people with families who work until 5:00 to be able to make a 6:00 pm tip? I know you don't really believe that, but I get it that it's fun to make posts like that.
Abso-freakin-lutley.

Do people in Ames not have families? They must not because if they were playing Kansas it would be sold out. Not begging people to come.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT