ADVERTISEMENT

JoBo: "Some of us weren’t ready to play tonight, myself included"

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
  1. MarkEmmert‏Verified account@MarkEmmert 11m11 minutes ago
    Also, meant to mention earlier: Connor McCaffery not traveling with Iowa to this tournament. He's back home recuperating from that mono

0 replies0 retweets0 likes

2. MarkEmmert‏Verified account@MarkEmmert 41m41 minutes ago
    Bohannon: “The’re a really physical team, but I don’t think anything compares to the Big Ten. I just think some of us weren’t ready to play tonight, myself included. I just couldn’t get anything going. I was getting really frustrated with myself.”

3. MarkEmmert‏Verified account@MarkEmmert 49m49 minutes ago
    More Garza: "(McCaffery) thought the groups he was throwing out there were the best to help us win and obviously I respect that and he’s right. But tomorrow I’m going to come out and make sure I’m in that group.”

4. MarkEmmert‏Verified account@MarkEmmert 1h1 hour ago
    Garza had zero points and five rebounds in 12 minutes: "On a different day, I could do much better against that team. ... I've just got to be more aggressive, play harder."

5. MarkEmmert‏Verified account@MarkEmmert 1h1 hour ago
    Louisiana forward Bryce Washington is a 6-6 senior who had 15 points and 10 rebounds. On how he overcame Iowa's size advantage: "Went right at them. The only way to neutralize size is to have contact, don't be afraid."

Sounds like there was some constructive but healthy feedback given to some of the guys on the team who weren't putting in the effort on D. At least I hope that's what happened.

They played harder on defense in 2nd half. I think Dailey was an improvement at 2G over Ellingson, at least defensively.

No one seemed ready for a quick team that was physical and made plays on the ball.

Bohannon--> it could pay dividends later if he does start hitting his runners and mid-range shots, but today he mostly missed, at least in 1st half.

How does this happen? You are a college athlete who doesn't have to pay for anything school related yet you don't give effort every game? Cmon man
I look at it this way: you're an 18-22 year-old kid. Play hard. The harder you play, the more fun you tend to have. You inspire people — your teammates, the fans, yourself.

I just don't get the lethargy. I was at the Grambling St. game. This game today was basically a duplicate of that game versus a little better team.

I never understood the "we weren't ready for the game" quotes from players. What exactly would cause a team to not be ready for a game? The only logical explanation is that because we have the letters I-O-W-A on our jerseys and come from a more well-known conference that the players have in their heads that games are going to be a cake walk and just go through the motions expecting to come out with a win.

If that's the case, I honestly don't know how you overcome that because that's on the players themselves to treat every game like they are the underdogs. Our football team does the same. We win or compete when we are big underdogs because they have a different mentality but when we are expected to win easily we tank in both sports. It's a really bad trend.

Reactions: hawkfan1963
The most disappointing part is they came in to the season with a chip on their shoulder based on the media's predictions for them, and even vocalizing it in interviews and Twitter (which is why I agree with Ferentz on Twitter, at least during the season), then went out and played exactly like the NIT, 9th in the B10 team everyone else has said they were. And they made up for it by making excuses that they weren't ready to play. Louisiana didn't exactly light it up for the first ten minutes either so it's not like they got dominated at the tip, there was plenty of time to calm the nerves and play ball before Louisiana got on a nice little run.

They read the message boards that make them out to be way better then they are. I would strongly consider pulling Twitter if I was Fran tho.

Reactions: Hawkaholic73
Fran should look at his roster and realize he has maybe 2 guys whose games are suited to running (Cook and Moss). This team needs to play like Wisconsin. Move the ball, eat time off the clock, maximize every possession. Instead they try to to play fast with nobody who can play fast and it looks like crap. Bad shots and turnovers that lead to run outs for the other team.

Reactions: HawkLogic
They played harder on defense in 2nd half. I think Dailey was an improvement at 2G over Ellingson, at least defensively.

No one seemed ready for a quick team that was physical and made plays on the ball.

Bohannon--> it could pay dividends later if he does start hitting his runners and mid-range shots, but today he mostly missed, at least in 1st half.

I only got to see part of the second half today.....The part I saw Maishee was playing and what I heard of it on the radio prior to the second half he seemed to be playing a lot as well...is that accurate?

JB getting his offensive flow back seems to be a good thing....Moss got it going in the second half as well.

Cook didn't do anything?

I never understood the "we weren't ready for the game" quotes from players. What exactly would cause a team to not be ready for a game? The only logical explanation is that because we have the letters I-O-W-A on our jerseys and come from a more well-known conference that the players have in their heads that games are going to be a cake walk and just go through the motions expecting to come out with a win.

If that's the case, I honestly don't know how you overcome that because that's on the players themselves to treat every game like they are the underdogs. Our football team does the same. We win or compete when we are big underdogs because they have a different mentality but when we are expected to win easily we tank in both sports. It's a really bad trend.
It happens to all teams at all levels. That's the tough part of coaching and playing - you only have so much emotional energy. Fans only think it happens to "there" team but it happens to all teams. The real talented teams just continue to win more because they are more talented.

I liked Dailey's play. Not a lot of points, but he showed an ability to dribble drive and kick. Athletically, he is a guy who can do some things on both ends. Hope he gets more PT and would like to see him at the PG spot. Bohannon needs some help handling the ball and there is 0 benefit to putting Ellingson on the floor against teams like Louisiana.

Moss and Cook totally ineffective in the first half.

Dailey was in when we took it down from 24 to about 11. Gave solid minutes, showed no fear against their heavy pressure D. Hit a long 2,, played ok defense (let a couple guys free, but so did everyone else).

Did you play D1 college sports?
No fooling, anyone who is a sports fan at all will see players/teams have off days. They may call it not ready to play but the same thing.
Happens in all level of sports as well, not just D1.
This was a game they could have used Baer and his energy off the bench.
Get back at it tomorrow and keep working....

You ever been to Grand Cayman?

..what I saw today was alot of shots going in and out early on...with the score tied at 10-10 with 11minutes to go..Lousiana went on a 21-1 run over the next 7 minutes,,,Iowa continued to miss shots early in the run & then started to force stuff resulting in turnovers.

Iowa seems to feed off its offense not its defense. What I mean is our scoring energizes our defense. Not saying it should be that way. We got frustrated when our shots were not falling.

Louisiana on the other hand..wasnt scoring either but kept coming. I dont care how much quickness we have or dont have...no reason to not play with
as much energy on defense as you do offense.

As Fran said after the game...OK our shots were not falling..what bothered him was the breakdowns on defense.

the question is how does this team react?

I'm guessing with a little more focus on D & more effort on rebounding those missed shots.

Reactions: DanL53
The rebounding is key... the zone gave up a couple layups on a nice motion they ran consecutively, but it was largely effective. We just need to get the team connected to track down the misses to finish the possession.

Tenth post into the game thread:

"Great toss up at the tip....not.
Rims look they are very tight."

That was also the last thing I posted on the thread. I knew our shooting would be off, but we let it take us out of every other aspect of the game.

How does this happen? You are a college athlete who doesn't have to pay for anything school related yet you don't give effort every game? Cmon man

These kids have paid more than you will ever know to put themselves in a position to play D1 ball,... Writing a tuition check would been easier than what most of them have put themselves through....

I look at it this way: you're an 18-22 year-old kid. Play hard. The harder you play, the more fun you tend to have. You inspire people — your teammates, the fans, yourself.

I just don't get the lethargy. I was at the Grambling St. game. This game today was basically a duplicate of that game versus a little better team.

Yeah, why can't they be like all of us HR posters who show up to work with our "A" game everyday and never have an off day?

Some days you have it and some days you don't, it's not always about effort. If you expect anyone, let alone kids, to be on 100% of the time you are incredibly delusional. They had a bad day, get over it. You sound like a lunatic when you post stuff like this.

Reactions: hawk-i bob
Yeah, why can't they be like all of us HR posters who show up to work with our "A" game everyday and never have an off day?
I know. I played college basketball, albeit a different era. It's just hard for me to understand lack of effort and lack of the most basic fundamentals. I'm more critical of the coaching staff in this regard.

I walked out of Carver the other night really surprised by how disinterested the kids appeared. But then I started the think about the current high-level basketball player's experience. Assuming they start playing AAU ball in 6th grade, including their school seasons, by the time they've taken the court as a college player they may very well have played over 700 games. That's akin to your average 10-year NBA career (assuming some injuries and such). That's a lot of basketball.

I'm 44. I played high school '88-'91, college '91-'96. AAU had not reached Peoria yet when I played. So, for me, my entire career, including middle school, spanned less than 400 games. Entering college the number is around 275 or so.

Point being, every game meant a lot to me, and to everybody I remember playing with or against. Times are different, I suppose. There are only a handful of NCAA coaches, I suppose, who get near-maximum to maximum effort from their kids. This is weird to me, but I suppose, you know, it is what it is.

I often say that all things being equal, if I was coming up now versus 30 years ago, I wonder if by the time I reached college if I wouldn't be burned out. I love basketball — playing basketball — to this day because the vast majority of my basketball life is (and remains) grassroots. Meaning, it's pickup ball, it's going to the park or the gym and taking on all comers. If the vast majority of my basketball experience — like that of so many today — was in a gym with fluorescent lighting, a scoreboard, coaches, whistles, cones, someone always telling me what to do, where to go, what play to run I suspect I would at some point burn out.

12 years or so ago I was a varsity head coach in San Francisco for a few years at a private high school, bunch of very wealthy, very smart kids, almost all going on to Ivy League schools or Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, Cal Tech and the like. I got the job just before the end of the school year, so I had the summer to work with the kids. When I introduced myself to the kids who were returning the following year, plus kids invited if they anticipated trying out in the Fall, I asked the group what their plans were for the summer. Most of them said they were playing AAU, and/or going to some camps, etc. I asked them if any of them were going to play at the park or rec center, at Moscone or Sunset or wherever. Blank stares. Immediately it was clear to me that none of these kids had ever played pickup ball. High school basketball players didn't even really know what the hell it was. It was an eye-opening moment for me, someone who played way-way-way more "unorganized" ball than organized, growing up playing at every park and in every gym I could, always seeking out the best pickup game possible (and Peoria has some incredible runs back in the day).

So the first thing I did as coach of French-American International School was call for a Saturday morning "open workout" at school. Anybody could come but as I expected only six kids showed (these kids led lives at that age entirely foreign to me — schedules fully loaded with all kinds of college résumé-building activities). So I had six kids, naturally six of the most-motivated players — which is what I had hoped to get. I loaded them into one of the school vans and drove them over to Moscone Park, which had a pretty solid Saturday morning run with some good players, competitive games, usually 15+ guys waiting to play. On the way over I explained how to politic onto a team, how to call next/last, etc. I collected their cell phones, dropped them off, told them I would return three hours later to get them, and that I knew plenty of guys on that court who would tell me if any of my kids did not play and/or left the court altogether.

To this day when I hear from any of these kids this always gets brought up as their favorite thing that I did for them as coach. It was like I introduced them to a world they had no idea existed, which I suppose I did. One of the kids works in the NBA office mostly involved in their international development programming. He walked on at Stanford and maintains that it is that Saturday morning that is his favorite basketball memory.

This is a super long way of saying that this is why I am so frustrated watching these Hawks so far. First watching them in person versus Grambling State and then versus Louisiana, I just could not believe how lethargic, disinterested, careless they played. But then I had to really give thought to how different things are today versus 30 years ago. These kids spent the last 8-10 years playing countless games, so what's another game? Especially in November?

While I can try to understand it, I still can't quite understand it.

Last edited:
Great post; thanks much! Agree with you. I've seen some kids burned out in high school, by playing all year round, sometimes a couple games a day. I think our guys do try hard, but they aren't going to get unnecessarily hurt, with all they have invested in the sport. With 13 guys (when healthy) fighting for playing time, a player doesn't move up by fouling out or getting hurt. Iowa needs to play its best players, and I think Fran does intend to do that when everyone is back healthy.

Good post Rudolph...I dont have the experience you have but I did coach baseball for over 20 years ..which included youngsters of 13 right up to high school seniors.

Between local leagues, high school & AAU travel teams..these kids would play as many games as the big boys..sometimes more. It was way too much (which I said at the time)...sometimes these kids would play 3 games a day..it notonly burned some of them out..it also destroyed any chance of them playing college ball physically.. thats' another story.

Back to basketball.
I have a nephew who is head BB coach at a Iowa HS...he agrees sometimes bad habits are formed with all the games being played almost year round. Which includes playing as hard on defense as when you have the ball in your hands.

It IS a different basketball environment. Kids 'have' to play summer..to get the exposure needed to have a chance to play even D2 or NAIA let alone D1.

Back to Iowa basketball...I'm excited about (especially) the freshman & soph group because of the pure talent I think they have...IMO...when a player says they (including himself) where not ready...what he is really saying is we are not ready to play WELL.

I thought I saw unselfish play when i went to Carver...in Cayman it seems we are seeing a little more 1 on 1.

Defensively...I'm not ready to call our play lethargic .. at least I dont think everyone is playing that way...but certainly there have been numerous breakdowns including when giving good energy which I think sometimes makes one look like they are just going thru the motion.

While I dont think we are purposely playing with low energy on defense...its does have to pickup...ALOT....Fran made a horrible mistake taking Ahmad out in the SD State game...he screwed up when he did.

Not trying to makes excuses...but I dont think we have seen the best of what these guys have to offer. We are by comparison to other B1G teams...young.

I do believe Fran has a problem...I think he is struggling with minute distribution..and how that is affecting things...well none us may never know. I have my guesses but thats all I have is a guess so I'll keep it to myself....

Will be great when we get Baer back. And I know what Connor can do with the ball in his hands with his passing ability.... Both of them can have a positive impact...the question is who sits? Who loses minutes? How does that affect things?

Right now we are playing like a 10th place B1G team..question is will we continue to play that way?

**** side comment **** watched Penn State last couple days...they are for real...very talented...wouldnt surprise me they end up in the upper half..we will need to play a lot better than we have in order to win...or in JBo terms we better be ready.

Bob there are really poor defensive fundamentals. Hip angle off the ball, vision, close-out vision and angle, all kinds of super-basic, super-teachable, drill-able stuff. Stuff that I still do technically really well, without thinking about it, at 44 because I was well-taught and well-drilled throughout high school.

But I understand it. With the ascent of AAU, kids by and large are not being taught how to play rather they are being taught plays. When I was living in NYC I helped out with the Jersey City Boys & Girls Club teams who competed in some AAU tournaments. Many of the kids in this program went on to play for Bob Hurley at St. Anthony's. Kyle Anderson (UCLA, Spurs) used to occasionally work out with us. I've also watched some Peoria Area Elite practices. If my small sample is any indication, AAU teaching and training is almost entirely focused on individual offensive skill development. I suppose if I was paying into AAU for my kid, this approach would feel like money well spent.

There is a ton of dribbling at or around cones, executing some change-of-direction, change-of-pace move, finish. Kids nowadays can make your average cone look stupid. Kids I work with can execute a step-back move effortlessly… against a cone.

I'm beginning to ramble. I'll just end with this. I believe, generally speaking, kids today enter college basketball poorly taught & trained on defensive fundamentals and rebounding fundamentals. Defense and rebounding remain the backbone of winning programs. You name a winning program, it's damn sure likely they defend and rebound. Michigan State, Wisconsin are perennial B1G contenders because they're perennially the best at defending and rebounding to finish defensive possessions.

Peoria basketball, in its heyday — which I now know how lucky I was to have been part of it — was all about defense. It was understood that by being great on defense there was less pressure on your offense, and the less pressure you feel on the offensive end, the better your results tend to be.

Another quick story. At Peoria High School every single day we drilled wing denial. Over and over and over every day for four years. I was the only white guy for a few years, one of two or three for a few others. This, stereotyping-be-damned, is to say that there was a lot of quickness in that gym. So for me to be good at denying the wing, almost always versus someone quicker than I, my technique needed to be really, really good, and I needed to be competitive as hell. When I finished high school I was sort of tired of basketball. I was injured constantly during high school, frustrated being a late-developing athlete (I assumed I would be a never-developing athlete at the time). I had constant issues with my lower back, learning finally as a junior that I had a stress fracture of my L-5. I was physically weak, 6'1" and 135 lbs. I was basically a cross-country type of athlete trying to play basketball in one of the most competitive basketball environments (at that time) in the country. I worked my ass off, deeply loved the game, only to have setback after setback. Augustana recruited me, Washington University in St. Louis, a few others. Angie was tempting given they had a good program and good support (at that time, no idea what it's like now).

My older brother went to Iowa and my mom got her PhD from Iowa, and George Raveling wore sweatsuits, and Ed Horton was the baddest dude, and Jeff Moe with those Air Force 2 lows. So I was going to Iowa to just be a student. A few weeks into the Fall semester I missed basketball so I went to the Field House to ball. Back then Iowa players would play pickup ball with the riffraff. Paul Lusk invited me to join the team in their afternoon "open" run at Carver, so I did. Then tryouts for the Grey Team (walk-ons) was announced, and I was definitely going to try out at this point — after a few weeks of playing pickup ball with the team (plus a few redshirting football players — I wish I could remember who they were).

Tryouts are at the Field House at I believe 7am, but I kind of think maybe it was at 6am. It was early. There are 150 to 200 kids in there. We're taken through a quick warm-up as a group, then split into groups of 15 or so, sent to various baskets. First "station" my group does is wing denial. Drill is set up that if you successfully deny the wing, a new guy rotates in on offense and you get to deny his ass, too. If you're on offense and you score, you then earn the chance to deny the wing. I was first on offense, easily scored on a back door. So now I'm on defense. I went through the entire group, nobody could get open. It was easy given these were a bunch of (no offense to Iowans) Iowa white boys. As our group was rotating to the next basket, Gary Close came over and wrote down my name, all my info. I honestly don't remember any detail of that morning beyond that moment — I was giddy to say the least, understanding that I had probably just made the team based on that one drill. I do remember we went up and down for a bit, scrimmaged, but I couldn't tell you one thing about anything I, or anyone else, did.

This is a longer-than-expected way of trying to impress on whoever reads this how deeply ingrained defense is in my DNA. I yearn for basketball programs at Iowa built on defense & rebounding. I loved Dr. Tom because rebounding was such a particular focus every day, all the time. The approach to defense was less about perfect man-to-man fundamentals and more about mixing up defenses, disguising defenses, playing the same zone press two or three different ways, so while it was different that my defensive upbringing, it was still a priority. In order of priority, I would say his program was built on 1) rebounding, 2) defensive transition — meaning we worked tirelessly on how to go from scoring to defending, 3) offensive execution — we worked tirelessly on getting the shot we wanted out of the flex and on late-clock sets, and the various passing, cutting, footwork fundamentals to do so, and 4) early offense.

After watching Fran's teams over the years, I'm not sure I could definitively make such 4-point priority list. Conversely, I do think I can make this list for Izzo, Coach K, Roy Williams, Bo-Ryan-Greg-Gard, etc.

The most concise statement I can make, and I can make this for Iowa women's team, too, is that the programs' weaknesses are the same year-in, year-out, regardless of the rosters. And given the investment made into this stuff these days, this is hard to swallow.

Last edited:
It's not just basketball. It's nuts what parents do to kids these days. Multiple sports that have practices every day and days with multiple games. Plus music/drama/speech or some other fine art type deal, as many "advanced" classes as possible, forced "charity" events and on and on. It's stupid. Kids can't just be kids. And the worst is you're ignored/left behind if you don't sign up. And it all costs boat loads of money.

I'd like to expose my kids to a number of things, and if there's one or maybe two they're dedicated to, work with giving them opportunities for that. But even one activity is typically too heavily scheduled and way too costly to afford. Too bad.

Good thing my kids love reading and libraries are still free.

Reactions: Rudolph
The most disappointing part is they came in to the season with a chip on their shoulder based on the media's predictions for them, and even vocalizing it in interviews and Twitter (which is why I agree with Ferentz on Twitter, at least during the season), then went out and played exactly like the NIT, 9th in the B10 team everyone else has said they were. And they made up for it by making excuses that they weren't ready to play. Louisiana didn't exactly light it up for the first ten minutes either so it's not like they got dominated at the tip, there was plenty of time to calm the nerves and play ball before Louisiana got on a nice little run.
Here's the problem with talking a big game on social media. You have to go and back it up. And in basketball, it's not just you that has to back it up. It's the other 12 guys on the roster. If you're a boxer, a wrestler, a sprinter or a swimmer...you can talk shit because you're the only one responsible for backing it up.

They were most definitely at 6 AM...TD said that way they could weed out of bunch of people who didn't really want to do it right away.
Yeah my memory is kinda good, kinda bad. I just remember it was early. I still have the little ID thing that was pinned to my shirt.

the i-basketball-w-a stacked logo

So I must have been the 15th kid there.

It was a great day. There was another Peoria kid that made the team that day. Nate Atkins was a really good player from Peoria Notre Dame, would have been a D1, Missouri Valley type of guy, but he had a horrible broken leg injury late in his junior of high school. Sad thing is he made the team but failed the physical, his leg hadn't healed well enough. I literally never saw him again — I've been told he got really depressed, transferred.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT