ADVERTISEMENT

More Maddyn Greenway: Leads team to MN State 2A Title

HawkNorth

HR All-State
Nov 24, 2003
Let’s hope Chad’s Hawkeye history and a desire to be the next “Caitlin Clark” influence her college decision.

Maddyn Greenway, daughter of former Vikings star, making name for herself on basketball court​

Maddyn Greenway, Providence Academy freshman and multisport star, completed a spectacular season with 31 points in Saturday's Class 2A state championship game.​

08_14PREP031923.2a.JPG

Maddyn Greenway found her spot on the floor and let it fly.
The shot came in the first half of the Class 2A girls basketball state semifinals Friday evening. Greenway was standing on the Cambria logo on the Williams Arena court.
In basketball parlance, this was a Steph Curry three-pointer. So far behind the line that you wondered if Greenway had lost track of her location on the court.
The Providence Academy freshman didn't even hesitate.
"Sometimes I have to ask for forgiveness," she said, giggling.
Nah, just Maddyn being Maddyn. The ball swished through the net.
"We call those layups for her," teammate Grace Counts said.
Maddyn the Magician put on a show at the old Barn over three games as Providence Academy repeated as state champions, culminating with Saturday's 74-60 victory over Albany.
The Lions finished the season with a 29-game winning streak, which included a victory over traditional large-school power Hopkins and a 126-point scoring barrage vs. Minnehaha Academy.
Greenway scored 60 points in that game to become the first ninth-grader in Minnesota history to reach 2,000 points in a career. She averaged 38 points in state tournament games.
She led the state this season in scoring and assists and finished fifth in steals. As a freshman.
"She's special," Albany coach Aaron Boyum said.
The Gophers hired a new women's coach Saturday morning in West Virginia's Dawn Plitzuweit. Before even moving into her new office, she should schedule a visit to the Greenway home for a formal introduction. And brush up on her Vikings football history.
Greenway's dad, Chad, was a fiery competitor in his 11 seasons as a Vikings linebacker. His wife, Jenni, was a track star at the University of Iowa. Their oldest child displays both of their athletic traits on the basketball court.
"She competes really hard," Chad said.
Not just in basketball. Maddyn also is a standout soccer player, and she won a state track medal as a member of Providence Academy's winning 4x400 relay team last spring.
"Her plan is to continue to play three sports," her dad said.
My reaction to watching Greenway play basketball for the first time at the state tournament was the same as my first impression of Paige Bueckers as an eighth-grader at Hopkins:
Whoa. This is different.
Greenway's skill level is unique. What stands out beyond that is her toughness and confidence. She plays fearless, which makes it easy to forget that she's still just a freshman.
Division I scholarship offers are rolling in already. Listed at 5-8, Greenway might lack ideal height for an elite-level point guard, but she is a blur on the court. She plays faster than everyone else and she never stops pushing the pace.
Does that speed come from her mom, the track star?
"We have three state records in my family in track in South Dakota," Chad noted. "The Greenway side has some speed [too]."
Greenway, the dad, has engrossed himself in girls basketball since retiring from football. He said his "first job" post-football was to oversee the Wayzata girls youth basketball association. He's been president for six years.
"What I realized is how talented Minnesota girls basketball is," he said. "Every time you go play somebody, there is a Division II or Division I girl on almost every roster."
The Greenways enrolled their kids in Providence Academy so that all four girls can be together in the same school building. Besides Maddyn, they also have a sixth-grader, second-grader and kindergartner.
Sister Beckett will be a seventh-grader next year and the plan is for her to play varsity basketball with Maddyn. They will be teammates for three years.
Providence Academy, in Plymouth, was founded in 2001 so its athletic profile is still relatively narrow. The dominance in girls basketball spurred by Greenway's arrival could rival DeLaSalle's run of championships, though Albany and Minnehaha Academy will push them for supremacy. In fact, Albany led the title game at halftime.
Greenway took over in the second half with her defense and relentless speed to create scoring opportunities for herself and teammates. She finished with 31 points, five rebounds, five steals and four assists.
She will rest on Sunday. Then track season starts.
"We'll still be celebrating," she said. "But yeah, track practice Monday."
Page 2 of 2
Providence Academy celebrates their 74-60 win over Albany Saturday, March 18, 2023 during the Class 2A girls’ basketball state tournament championsh

Defending state champion Providence Academy plays fast. It had to find yet another gear Saturday, and it did.
The Lions scored the first eight points of the second half, sparked by lightning-quick freshman guard Maddyn Greenway, to gain control in a 74-60 victory over Albany in the Class 2A girls basketball championship game at Williams Arena.
"My guards can go forever," Lions coach Conner Goetz said. "We wanted to put a lot of pressure on their guards. We weren't being effective in the halfcourt."
Albany coach Aaron Boyum had his Huskies in attack mode at the outset, matching the Lions (30-2) step-for-step in the first half. Albany led 33-32 at halftime.
Boyum had no answer for Greenway in the second half. She had a basket and two perfect assists in the early second-half spurt, providing the Lions with a 40-33 lead.
"We aren't used to being down at halftime," Greenway said. "We knew we had to pick it up."
Greenway finished with 31 points, five rebounds, five steals and four assists.
"She is a special player," Boyum said. "She gets up and down the floor and goes. Providence is so explosive in the transition game."
The Lions extended their lead to 19 points, 64-45, with 7 minutes, 16 seconds remaining. Albany didn't get within single digits the rest of the way.
The Huskies (30-2) kept up in the first half thanks to juniors Alyssa Sand (13 first-half points) and Tatum Findley (11).
"They hit us in the mouth," Goetz said.
The 6-3 Sand kept it up and finished with 29 points, 21 rebounds, three assists, three steals and two blocked shots. Findley didn't score in the second half.
Lions 6-1 senior forward Grace Counts matched Sand's intensity in the second half. She finished with 17 points, 16 rebounds, five assists and two blocked shots.
"I knew Alyssa was killing us," Counts said. "I had to flip the script."
Albany beat Providence Academy for the state title in 2021, and the two teams stood atop Class 2A all of this season. Providence Academy was ranked first in Class 2A in the final Minnesota Basketball News poll, and Albany was ranked second.
"It's been a good battle the two years leading up to this," Boyum said. "It's a fun challenge."

The only concern would be the new coach at Minnesota trying to pry her away from Iowa.

I don't think anyone else really has a chance.

Btw, I'm assuming she played HS as a 7th grader in order to already reach 2,000 points in her career, which is just ridiculous.......
Something to keep an eye on - especially with the new coach who has been successful in other stops. I'm sure the thought of being able to see her play only 30 minutes away is attractive.

However, I sure wouldn't want to send my children to the U of M (living not too far from the Greenway's actually) though. A really high crime area within blocks of the University. Everybody knows it even though the local media won't report on it.

The Greenway's strike me as very involved parents, a tight family, and proud IA alums. I think that wins out at the end of the day.

Apparently there was quite the trophy presentation after the large school final.

Several Hopkins players refused their medals and the team took the second place trophy, set in on the floor, and turned the trophy backwards.

That Hopkins team lost to Greenway's team during the regular season.

Apparently there was quite the trophy presentation after the large school final.

Several Hopkins players refused their medals and the team took the second place trophy, set in on the floor, and turned the trophy backwards.

Interesting, what's their beef? Officiating engineered the wins for the affluent, private, Christian School?

Unbelievable, what a statement on our culture right now.

Got beat by private school, but I guess even public Hopkins was a bunch of recruited/move in stars from area AAU.
Hopkins has been recruiting for years. They certainly have nothing to complain about.

I do feel for Albany though, small town HS, with a small recruiting footprint, very likely no recruiting outside said footprint. Under normal circumstances, I'd root for them very hard.

Fun fact: Calista Flockhart (Ally McBeal actress) lived in Albany, MN (as well as IA for that matter) during her childhood.

Reactions: BonzoFury
Sands a 6'3" center was never a hopkins kid until she was recruited to play there. Hopkins has been the best team for a couple years but showed a lack of class in the post game awards. Don't care if it shows that only winning it all is the goal. And a freshman getting to 2000 points is incredible as well as a 60 point game. As a freshman she could also definitely grow a few more inches. This young lady is fast, hitting logo 3's, and a big fan of Caitlin Clark. I think she's Iowa's to lose and doubt that happens

Let’s hope Chad’s Hawkeye history and a desire to be the next “Caitlin Clark” influence her college decision.

Maddyn Greenway, daughter of former Vikings star, making name for herself on basketball court​

Maddyn Greenway, Providence Academy freshman and multisport star, completed a spectacular season with 31 points in Saturday's Class 2A state championship game.​

08_14PREP031923.2a.JPG

The shot came in the first half of the Class 2A girls basketball state semifinals Friday evening. Greenway was standing on the Cambria logo on the Williams Arena court.
In basketball parlance, this was a Steph Curry three-pointer. So far behind the line that you wondered if Greenway had lost track of her location on the court.
Maddyn the Magician put on a show at the old Barn over three games as Providence Academy repeated as state champions, culminating with Saturday's 74-60 victory over Albany.
The Lions finished the season with a 29-game winning streak, which included a victory over traditional large-school power Hopkins and a 126-point scoring barrage vs. Minnehaha Academy.
Greenway scored 60 points in that game to become the first ninth-grader in Minnesota history to reach 2,000 points in a career. She averaged 38 points in state tournament games.
She led the state this season in scoring and assists and finished fifth in steals. As a freshman.
The Gophers hired a new women's coach Saturday morning in West Virginia's Dawn Plitzuweit. Before even moving into her new office, she should schedule a visit to the Greenway home for a formal introduction. And brush up on her Vikings football history.
Greenway's dad, Chad, was a fiery competitor in his 11 seasons as a Vikings linebacker. His wife, Jenni, was a track star at the University of Iowa. Their oldest child displays both of their athletic traits on the basketball court.
Not just in basketball. Maddyn also is a standout soccer player, and she won a state track medal as a member of Providence Academy's winning 4x400 relay team last spring.
My reaction to watching Greenway play basketball for the first time at the state tournament was the same as my first impression of Paige Bueckers as an eighth-grader at Hopkins:
Whoa. This is different.
Greenway's skill level is unique. What stands out beyond that is her toughness and confidence. She plays fearless, which makes it easy to forget that she's still just a freshman.
Division I scholarship offers are rolling in already. Listed at 5-8, Greenway might lack ideal height for an elite-level point guard, but she is a blur on the court. She plays faster than everyone else and she never stops pushing the pace.
"We have three state records in my family in track in South Dakota," Chad noted. "The Greenway side has some speed [too]."
Greenway, the dad, has engrossed himself in girls basketball since retiring from football. He said his "first job" post-football was to oversee the Wayzata girls youth basketball association. He's been president for six years.
"What I realized is how talented Minnesota girls basketball is," he said. "Every time you go play somebody, there is a Division II or Division I girl on almost every roster."
The Greenways enrolled their kids in Providence Academy so that all four girls can be together in the same school building. Besides Maddyn, they also have a sixth-grader, second-grader and kindergartner.
Sister Beckett will be a seventh-grader next year and the plan is for her to play varsity basketball with Maddyn. They will be teammates for three years.
Providence Academy, in Plymouth, was founded in 2001 so its athletic profile is still relatively narrow. The dominance in girls basketball spurred by Greenway's arrival could rival DeLaSalle's run of championships, though Albany and Minnehaha Academy will push them for supremacy. In fact, Albany led the title game at halftime.
Greenway took over in the second half with her defense and relentless speed to create scoring opportunities for herself and teammates. She finished with 31 points, five rebounds, five steals and four assists.
Page 2 of 2
Providence Academy celebrates their 74-60 win over Albany Saturday, March 18, 2023 during the Class 2A girls’ basketball state tournament championsh

Defending state champion Providence Academy plays fast. It had to find yet another gear Saturday, and it did.
The Lions scored the first eight points of the second half, sparked by lightning-quick freshman guard Maddyn Greenway, to gain control in a 74-60 victory over Albany in the Class 2A girls basketball championship game at Williams Arena.
"My guards can go forever," Lions coach Conner Goetz said. "We wanted to put a lot of pressure on their guards. We weren't being effective in the halfcourt."
Albany coach Aaron Boyum had his Huskies in attack mode at the outset, matching the Lions (30-2) step-for-step in the first half. Albany led 33-32 at halftime.
Boyum had no answer for Greenway in the second half. She had a basket and two perfect assists in the early second-half spurt, providing the Lions with a 40-33 lead.
"We aren't used to being down at halftime," Greenway said. "We knew we had to pick it up."
"She is a special player," Boyum said. "She gets up and down the floor and goes. Providence is so explosive in the transition game."
The Lions extended their lead to 19 points, 64-45, with 7 minutes, 16 seconds remaining. Albany didn't get within single digits the rest of the way.
The Huskies (30-2) kept up in the first half thanks to juniors Alyssa Sand (13 first-half points) and Tatum Findley (11).
The 6-3 Sand kept it up and finished with 29 points, 21 rebounds, three assists, three steals and two blocked shots. Findley didn't score in the second half.
Lions 6-1 senior forward Grace Counts matched Sand's intensity in the second half. She finished with 17 points, 16 rebounds, five assists and two blocked shots.
Albany beat Providence Academy for the state title in 2021, and the two teams stood atop Class 2A all of this season. Providence Academy was ranked first in Class 2A in the final Minnesota Basketball News poll, and Albany was ranked second.
"It's been a good battle the two years leading up to this," Boyum said. "It's a fun challenge."

Something to keep an eye on - especially with the new coach who has been successful in other stops. I'm sure the thought of being able to see her play only 30 minutes away is attractive.

However, I sure wouldn't want to send my children to the U of M (living not too far from the Greenway's actually) though. A really high crime area within blocks of the University. Everybody knows it even though the local media won't report on it.

The Greenway's strike me as very involved parents, a tight family, and proud IA alums. I think that wins out at the end of the day.
Translated: u of m campus is a shit hole.

Will lisa still be here by the time she gets to college?
I would think so. Pat Summit and Vivian Stringer come to mind right off the bat to me. Coach until you can't. Bluder should have 2 years after this season with Clark and then still be reaping the fruits of recruiting. I'm really hoping that with Caitlin we can become a serious destination for top players around the country. 3 sweet 16's in 4 years and hopefully 2 elite eights also plus 2 more years with Caitlin could do that for iowa. Bluder doesn't seem to be slowing down either and her interest in a freshman implies she is planning on being here awhile.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
Anyone know much about Czinano's sister? Any chance she takes a look at Iowa with the coaching change and seeing what her sister is experiencing?

Reactions: skydog0784

Greenways team lost to Iowa Class 1A champions Bishop Garrigan.
Hopkins beat Garrigan by 20 plus.

Her parents were both there on Friday cheering for the black and gold. Hope Maddyn can come too today.

Edit: I didn't see Maddyn but both parents were there again on Sunday.

She wasn't there with her parents....just there as part of Team USA (she hasn't made the team, they are in the selecting the team phase)

She wasn't there with her parents....just there as part of Team USA (she hasn't made the team, they are in the selecting the team phase)

Her invitation to tryout, one of the 17 accepted for the class of 2026, seems to confirm the hype around Greenway. 15 of the 17 invited from the '26 class were in ESPN's top 25 watch list for the '26 class, and Greenway was one of two not on the list when it came out last fall, I believe.

Hopkins has been recruiting for years. They certainly have nothing to complain about.

I do feel for Albany though, small town HS, with a small recruiting footprint, very likely no recruiting outside said footprint. Under normal circumstances, I'd root for them very hard.

Fun fact: Calista Flockhart (Ally McBeal actress) lived in Albany, MN (as well as IA for that matter) during her childhood.
This. I live in the Hopkins district and my daughter graduated from there. The school has taken on a bit of a different vibe over the past 5-8 years and it isn't a good one. 10 years ago you wouldn't have seen such a pathetic display of bad sportsmanship.

Reactions: skydog0784

08_14PREP031923.2a.JPG

Whoa. This is different.
Page 2 of 2

If the Stars were ever Aligned! You’re gonna love the Hawkeye fans. Welcome Maddy!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT