Joe Labas (pronounced LAY BUS) Updates + Sports Illustrated Story on how Ricky Stanzi played big part in Iowa landing him

Kinnick.At.Night

HR Heisman
Jun 27, 2018
That’s because he was sucking. Pretty sure it was because of his injury, but he was not playing well. That’s when fans think #2 should be #1. They are usually wrong, but if Iowa is getting great QB play, nobody is asking for #2. If Labas is really good, we won’t hear any calls for May, Lainez, next guy.

Nobody clamored for Jason Manson in 2004

Nobody clamored for Nathan Chandler in 2002

Nobody for Vandenberg in 2009

Nobody for Ruddock? in 2011

Nobody for “I don’t remember” in 2015
Of course if the starter is rolling people are happy. It’s how quickly some folks call for a guy to be benched that has always irked me. Fickle fans are whiny bitches, IMO. I don’t have any time for them.

iowaflash

HR All-State
Jul 1, 2006
Of course if the starter is rolling people are happy. It’s how quickly some folks call for a guy to be benched that has always irked me. Fickle fans are whiny bitches, IMO. I don’t have any time for them.
I will admit, usually a starting Iowa QB such as SP wouldn’t deservedly get as much criticism after a 10 win season, playing in the B10 Championship Game (nod to AP for his contribution toward this as well). However, this was a bit of an unusual season where the defense played extraordinarily well, while leading the nation in interceptions. Therefore QB play made one wonder, with only an above average talent, could we have possibly positioned ourselves to win the B10 championship game, and thus been a surprise playoff team?

IMO, I don’t consider myself fickle, and here’s why….Tate obviously has his better years as a SOPH/JR, but I never clamored for his change. Stanley took a little time to refine his pass capabilities, and at times was inconsistent from game to game. While he couldn’t beat his home state (WI), he did win 3 bowl games (including beat down of tOSU), and I never clamored for his change as well. From SP’s body of work over 19 games, I rate him only above Christensen from an ability to make plays when we need them standpoint. The fact that our defense and special teams has been so good lately, has really masked his QB play, so in 2022 we really need an accountable QB that will at least make the makeables consistently when we need them the most.

pistachio1999

All-Conference
Nov 29, 2021
And we actually saw the backup in games so they all on to wanting 3rd guy in there.

Reactions: cmhawks99

BonzoFury

Team MVP
Feb 4, 2022
Like nobody did for Stanley, right?
Stanley got his share of criticism, much of it undeserved. I think in retrospect people realize he was a really solid QB.

Nobody...everybody...is a bit like always and never...they rarely apply. QBs are always under a microscope...it's the most visible position on the team. As such they get more scrutiny and criticism. But the idea that people are always in love with the backup is B.S. It makes a great sports cliche (and man are there a lot of em) but it's not really true.

ClarindaA's

HR Legend
Jun 3, 2002
I will admit, usually a starting Iowa QB such as SP wouldn’t deservedly get as much criticism after a 10 win season, playing in the B10 Championship Game (nod to AP for his contribution toward this as well). However, this was a bit of an unusual season where the defense played extraordinarily well, while leading the nation in interceptions. Therefore QB play made one wonder, with only an above average talent, could we have possibly positioned ourselves to win the B10 championship game, and thus been a surprise playoff team?

IMO, I don’t consider myself fickle, and here’s why….Tate obviously has his better years as a SOPH/JR, but I never clamored for his change. Stanley took a little time to refine his pass capabilities, and at times was inconsistent from game to game. While he couldn’t beat his home state (WI), he did win 3 bowl games (including beat down of tOSU), and I never clamored for his change as well. From SP’s body of work over 19 games, I rate him only above Christensen from an ability to make plays when we need them standpoint. The fact that our defense and special teams has been so good lately, has really masked his QB play, so in 2022 we really need an accountable QB that will at least make the makeables consistently when we need them the most.
Tate was great, his receivers and line sucked

pocha444444

HR Heisman
May 16, 2007
Exactly, and so it goes, after Lainez it will be whomever the next guy is.....
I don't seem to remember that after the fans called for Banks, Stanzi and Beathard and finally got their wish. Who cares if Labas ends up being a bust? We know what we have in Petras and that's not going to get it done.

Reactions: iowaflash

ClarindaA's

HR Legend
Jun 3, 2002
If I’m not mistaken, it was Tate that beat tOSU at home with a 6th string RB no less. He definitely had some good games aside from the LSU/Sabin take down bowl game!
I’m talking about his Junior and senior years, dude was a stud

ghostOfHomer777

HR Heisman
May 20, 2014
Tate was great, his receivers and line sucked
Depends what years ... he had perfectly good WRs in 2004 and 2005. Both Hinkel and Solomon were quite good. He had quite a prolific TE in Scott Chandler too. The OL was dog-crap in '04 ... but that was largely attributable to the fact that the group was ravaged by injuries.

Reactions: iowaflash