ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Weiskamp Appreciation Thread

BlackNGoldBleeder

HR Legend
Jun 23, 2017
Joe showed a lot of intestinal fortitude today. Even though his outside shot wasn't falling, he took the ball to the tin, made free throws, grabbed six boards, and scored a quiet thirteen. Good effort by Joe.

Props also to the supporting cast and role players. Pemsl has shut his haters up, Bakari has given valuable minutes, and Ryan Kriener continues to make a strong case for 6th Man of the Year in the conference.

A lot of positives heading into March.

What’s not to like about Joe W? Life in conference play is not easy and when you become a marked man on every team’s scouting report that’s difficult. Teams are scheming to make your life a living nightmare.

Several guys, including Joe W and Luka, have logged a ton of minutes carrying the mail night after night in the B1G which is incredibly physical in the second half of the schedule every year. They have looked a little tired the last couple of games but they are gamers. The little bit of rest between the BTT and NCAAs will do them some good.

What’s not to like about Joe W? Life in conference play is not easy and when you become a marked man on every team’s scouting report that’s difficult. Teams are scheming to make your life a living nightmare.

Several guys, including Joe W and Luka, have logged a ton of minutes carrying the mail night after night in the B1G which is incredibly physical in the second half of the schedule every year. They have looked a little tired the last couple of games but they are gamers. The little bit of rest between the BTT and NCAAs will do them some good.

Me, personally, I'm a fan of all the Hawkeye players. But a few of our less than intelligent fans referred to him in terms like "unplayable" and "a bum" after the MSU loss.

Glad JW didn’t crawl into a hole again, but the team is going to need a lot more out of him if they want to make a postseason run. He is absolutely the biggest unknown on this team now. I pretty much know what to expect from every other player every game except him.

I disagree. He is in a shooting slump right now. A slump I expect him to break out of. Overall, Joe has played pretty consistent all year outside of his poor performance at MSU.

Reactions: Moral
Glad JW didn’t crawl into a hole again, but the team is going to need a lot more out of him if they want to make a postseason run. He is absolutely the biggest unknown on this team now. I pretty much know what to expect from every other player every game except him.
This. He has to toughen up a little when going to the hole as well. He’s just a half step too slow & when he beats his defender the defender can usually catch up & alter his shot.

If he can start finishing on his drives it’ll help his outside shot immensely.

Teams are beating the crap out of him. Watch him without the ball, he gets mugged repeatedly. He’ll learn from it and he should return for his junior season.
Ya that's pretty true actually. There was another thread this week comparing Weiskamp to Jarod Uthoff. I always felt Uthoff was the most mugged player off the the ball of that era of players. It kinda sucks being that tweener that isn't a power forward but too big to be a guard in the Big Ten. It shouldn't, but it does...

He was definitely not letting the struggles get to him today and they were straight up mugging him today worse than MSU.

In 29 games this season Wieskamp has
a 14.4 points per game average. He is
second on the team in scoring with 418
total points. With our 8 man rotation, he
plays about 35 minutes per game and
never stops playing defense.

Bottom Line: The Hawkeyes are very
fortunate to have Joe W on our team.
He is the ultimate TEAM player.

I talked to him after the game as he was signing autographs and taking pictures (one with my daughter). I said “hey great game today, and I know the last few have been tough but I am happy for you and the team getting the win today”. He kind of nodded and said “thanks man, I appreciate that.”

In 29 games this season Wieskamp has
a 14.4 points per game average. He is
second on the team in scoring with 418
total points. With our 8 man rotation, he
plays about 35 minutes per game and
never stops playing defense.

Bottom Line: The Hawkeyes are very
fortunate to have Joe W on our team.
He is the ultimate TEAM player.

Great post, Lute!

Reactions: LuteHawk
I talked to him after the game as he was signing autographs and taking pictures (one with my daughter). I said “hey great game today, and I know the last few have been tough but I am happy for you and the team getting the win today”. He kind of nodded and said “thanks man, I appreciate that.”

CSB ;)

Reactions: Pepperman
I like Joe. He's a good player. He needs to step up and fill his role here in the final stretch. I hope he's up to it.

Reactions: wilson reborn
Weesy did a damn good job of holding Stevens down when he was guarding him. Too many people focus on him missing threes and don't seem to see all the winning plays he makes otherwise. Every team in the B1G would love to have him on their team.

Last edited:
He made an interesting comment in the postgame today when asked about his shooting struggles: "I'm doing a better job of setting up my defender and running off cuts. I need to do a better job of shot faking at the end of my move to draw some more fouls and get to the free throw line more often. I've grown through these struggles. It's going to make me a better player here."

Have really seen the fatigue, (and probably that sore left ankle) set in a little on Luka the last several games. You can see it in his jump shot and he has struggled to finish at the rim more so then at any point this season. Really surprised its taken this long for the grind to catch up to him, given the effort he plays with. Fortunately, (remarkably) Luka just keeps on keeping on. His second half performance yesterday was inspiring.

Reactions: And1Hawk
I like joe like all the guys who work hard, contribute, and put the team first but all these appreciation threads are a bit much

Reactions: 24 so far
He made an interesting comment in the postgame today when asked about his shooting struggles: "I'm doing a better job of setting up my defender and running off cuts. I need to do a better job of shot faking at the end of my move to draw some more fouls and get to the free throw line more often. I've grown through these struggles. It's going to make me a better player here."

It never seemed realistic to me that Joe would suddenly turn it on and have a great game with CJ back. Liked the comment earlier in the thread that Joe at least didn't crawl into a hole like the Michigan State game and began to at least play a little more confidently.

Joe has all the physical tools aside from perhaps adding a bit more strength. For him added improvement starts with the mental aspect of the game and his post-game comments here tells me he gets that. His road to developing his full potential may seem a work in progress but now he has the players around him to help facilitate that process.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I like joe like all the guys who work hard, contribute, and put the team first but all these appreciation threads are a bit much

He’s a huge part of this team and just last week people were saying he didn’t deserve minutes. That’s ridiculous (and I don’t know what you said, maybe you’ve always supported him) so some of us are going to appreciate him for who he is and hope he gets back on track. If he and CJ are both playing confidently, that gives the team an outside presence to compliment Garza and then if we get ANYTHING from Connor and Toussaint / Evelyn / Pemsl / Kreiner, the situation sets up as one where teams have to pick their poison.

The value of a confident JoeW is immeasurable for this team, in my opinion. And it is looking like we will get to have him all four years, so I’m excited.

Reactions: 24 so far
Frank Garza, the father of Luka, has
told the press that his son will play his
Senior year at Iowa.

In all reality, Joe Wieskamp will play two
more years as a Hawkeye. He is a good
player who can still take it to the next
level. The stamina needed to play 35
minutes in a Big Ten game is amazing.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
I love Joe and yeah he is in a bit of a shooting slump but what I catch him doing and or not doing is well he stands around a lot on both sides of the ball it’s seems like he gets caught up watching the game. Then he is slow to react and it makes him seem like he isn’t playing hard or engaged all the time.. All that being said he is only a sophomore...plenty of time to grow as a player

Why?

I think all the "so and so sucks" threads are too much.

I agree but the hate posts have been the vast minority this year. Of course negativity will never be totally eliminated but this has generally been a positive board this season....another poster suggested he thought all the appreciation threads (especially Connor) are compensation for past negativity towards the program. I agree but just my 2 cents. Seems redundant to me....that's all. I appreciate all their efforts this year considering the overwhelming adversity.

He’s a huge part of this team and just last week people were saying he didn’t deserve minutes. That’s ridiculous (and I don’t know what you said, maybe you’ve always supported him) so some of us are going to appreciate him for who he is and hope he gets back on track. If he and CJ are both playing confidently, that gives the team an outside presence to compliment Garza and then if we get ANYTHING from Connor and Toussaint / Evelyn / Pemsl / Kreiner, the situation sets up as one where teams have to pick their poison.

The value of a confident JoeW is immeasurable for this team, in my opinion. And it is looking like we will get to have him all four years, so I’m excited.
Exactly right. I got so mad I told guy who started the "not playable" thread to F off before thread got pulled. I shouldn't have even replied to stupidity like that....real fans appreciate Joe whether he has a cold streak or not. Just seems redundant to me but I guess this team deserves a ton of praise so have at it. The guys hopefully know to drown out excessive praise or criticism and keep a level head

Reactions: Pepperman
I disagree. He is in a shooting slump right now. A slump I expect him to break out of. Overall, Joe has played pretty consistent all year outside of his poor performance at MSU.

He's been "consistent" for the season overall, but not only is it inaccurate to suggest that the MSU game was his only clunker (he's been subpar 6 out of last 7 games), but I really don't think you actually disagree with me.

Exactly right. I got so mad I told guy who started the "not playable" thread to F off before thread got pulled. I shouldn't have even replied to stupidity like that....real fans appreciate Joe whether he has a cold streak or not. Just seems redundant to me but I guess this team deserves a ton of praise so have at it. The guys hopefully know to drown out excessive praise or criticism and keep a level head
This team needs the steady Weiskamp to show up every night because of the manpower issues. Not easy for sure, and he's been just awful a handful of games, surprisingly to me because I think he's a very talented player and appears to be a super kid on and off the court.

I think people do have a legit argument in the MSU game that he could have been benched and see ya next game Joe. He was that bad IMO. But for Iowa to go anywhere, he has to show up, he just does. CJ's presence will help with some of that, the rest is on Joe.

Reactions: blhawk
This team needs the steady Weiskamp to show up every night because of the manpower issues. Not easy for sure, and he's been just awful a handful of games, surprisingly to me because I think he's a very talented player and appears to be a super kid on and off the court.

I think people do have a legit argument in the MSU game that he could have been benched and see ya next game Joe. He was that bad IMO. But for Iowa to go anywhere, he has to show up, he just does. CJ's presence will help with some of that, the rest is on Joe.
Yeah, I look at it as just a higher probability he will be back which is a really good thing for everyone in my opinion. Plus the way the other guys stepped up in a tough environment could pay dividends in March. That gets me more excited than Joe's struggles worry me. Probably woulda won with CJ anyway. Hopefully we can get bye and get rested....so excited for this!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT